Baja - Valley of the Cirios

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by crashmaster, Oct 23, 2008.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think I know where youre talking about. That road about 5 miles north of Catavina. KInd of takes off to the north at first then winds its way slowy eastbound after quite some miles and Y's, then gets pretty nebulous. Sniff if you want since you have the gas, but about halfway though its going to be rough as hell before it literally almost dead ends into bushwhack and very nebulous single track if its the same road that I'm thinking of....dumps you just south of Puertecitos. Its alot of first/second gear work too. Definately a hardman type ride for sure.

You might consider prerunning it in your Beaver :D

Its been a couple years, before my GPS days, and I'm glad I did it, but I can pretty much say that I probably wont ever do it again. It will beat the hell out of you. ROCKS, ROCKS, ROCKS, then plenty of deep soft pillowy sand in very narrow tracks. I remember one particluar very gnarly hill climb, you dont wnat to biff it because its narrow and steep drops on both sides of the line.:eek1 Yeah, you will get a few million of those little hair like thorns all over your arms in the narrow sandwash as well. I think it took us (3 of us) about 9 hours, but we had some issues with flats, case cover punctures from rocks, getting lost up wrong dead end canyons and backtracking, then trying another way through.

However, if you pick the correct way its supposed to be something like 75 miles or so to Puertecitos. Sorry I cant be of more help, the guys I was with knew the line (but no GPS) and we still got eff'd up a few times. But yes the route does exist and it is spectacular, but most of what you will notice is the rocks in front of you! I havent talked to anyone who has done it recently so it may be a bit easier now, but who knows?
  2. skeelo221

skeelo221 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone show me on a map what "shortcut" gaspipe is talking about to Chapala? I'm going in Dec. and I need to ride this bit!!

3. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonder if anyone has this track.. Clicking on the link leads me to a blank page. VLYCIRIOS.gpx
    Mucho gracias!!

4. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, what a coincidence :augie
    Also thinking to get back down there this December, so I was browsing this forum to see if there were any new and useful tracks to try.

The 'BBCH.gpx' file in crashmaster's post (#5) is the one you want.

Don't know what happened to my 'VLYCIRIOS.gpx' file :dunno

I'll see if I can find it, maybe add some more tracks for that area :deal

-M
  5. skeelo221

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Got the BBCH track loaded to my GPS - going to hit that for sure. Got a group of 5 of us all on various 650/640's - I'll wait to see how we are feeling after the first day or two to decide if we should hit that west to east or take the "easy" route and take it heading west. Can't wait!
  6. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is an updated file with most everything I have collected in that area.
    View attachment ValDeCirios.gpx

All of these tracks were recorded (by myself or others), not just traced.
    Wish some were higher res, but should be good enough.
    Names and colors have no particular meaning.

If anyone knows of any new permanent fuel/Pemex locations, let me know.

-M
  7. skeelo221

Oddometer:
    So "Satan's Arse" really is a good time? :lol3

I have a couple fuel waypoints that I've gathered from google maps (which they claim are current Pemex stations) as well as some other stations I've gathered from the Moon Baja handbook (edition is a couple years old so take them with more of a grain of salt). I'll post them up tonight

Edit: Fuel waypoints uploaded. Again I have not personally confirmed these stations - I have just collected them during my research. All the Pemex waypoints I have confirmed with google street view

Attached Files:

8. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:

Sweet!!! thank you so very much :1drink
    Hope to be doing some of this stuff next year
  9. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    san borja area tracks anyone?
  10. skeelo221

Oddometer:
    Here's my track from Bay of LA across to Hwy 1 via the San Borja Mission. It's not a super technical route but I highly recommend it! Very nice views and the folks who run the mission were great. I asked if they had any lunch (to buy) and we got some really nice tamales and rice/beans---it was very good! I was just there on 12/28/12

Would have liked to stay longer to check out the hot pools they had there but we were on a bit of a time crunch that day (lame).

Not far after you hit the dirt leaving Bay of LA the views are like this:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...C-4/Q39Lums39J8/s800/Best%20of%20Baja_049.jpg

Attached Files:

11. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Thanks I was looking for some other tracks around there I have been down that road...I actually hurt myself pretty good casing out on that road going way too fast and came up on a double channel manmade river cuvert .. stretched my achilles and couldnt walk for 3 months.. only second day of a 7 day trip.. :puke1
  12. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The route thru Palo Chino just north of the San Borja route is a fun ride. Sorry i don't have a track handy, but the baja almanac is acurate. At the east end it starts at an obvious bend in the Sanb Borja road and at the Mex 1 end it starts at the only Rancho around.
  13. Roostn

Roostn On the Throttle Stop

Oddometer:
    Hey dudes,

Does anyone know of a route or have a track to get from San Felipe to Mike's Sky Ranch? There is the San Pedro National Park in between them. I doubt you can cut straight across but I'd like to ride to Mike's but want to park in San Felipe. My thoughts are to cut over to Mike's and then cut back south to Cativina. Then go south/west and pick up the route from Puerto Canoas to San Jose de la Piedra and back to Mex 1.

I think we are going back in Feb 2014. Probably ride south to the Bay of LA and maybe as far as Guerro Negro but staying on the north side. I LOVE the road from El Arco to San Francisquito. We never go to San Francisquito but instead cut back north to Bay of LA. I want to finish the route.