Double Take Mirror- a new (and better) Dual Sport Mirror

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by neduro, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about Plasti-Dipping the ram ball!?

[​IMG]

The trick is to loosen the ram ball when transitioning from setup to rear view & tucked away. I've seen too many people just push the mirrors up and down. I believe this polishes the ram ball and allows it to move later on.
  2. XCRider803

XCRider803 Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer:
    I just took my first interstate ride with two of these mirrors, couple hours to another office and back. On my Tiger 800 XC they are smooth as silk, good view and held their position up to (over speed limit). Looking gnarly is just a plus. I should have got these a long time ago.

Thanks Ned. :clap
  3. DDT Rider

DDT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had my mirrors for the better part of a year now. I'm happy with the tip over prophylaxis, but they are annoying for me at speeds above 80mph.

I did plasticoat the mirror side, one side pealed, it did help some, but for me high speed slip is the price I pay.

I'd like to try shrink wrap on the mirror side ball as I've seen in this thread somewhere...
  4. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    i need a new glass ..where can i get 1 ?
  5. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    On the website, look in Components, its right under the whole mirror.
  6. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had an off-road mishap on Saturday and sheered the ram ball off on my Double-Take mirror. The mirror is fine, btw. I've been using ram mount products for years and have never had one fail like this. It sheered off right at the top of the threads...
  7. Jayrod1318

Jayrod1318 Poster

Oddometer:
    I've my mirror for a year now and love it. I had broken 2 other mirrors prior and was tired of the breaking and buying cycle.

There was a learning curve to get it to stay up at high speed. At first I did not have the clamp tight enough. tightening down the clamp with a bit of gusto helped a ton.However It would still slip at speeds above 70. I decided to rough the ball end of the mirror up with some sand paper. The mirror would stay up most the time however at REALLY high speeds it would begin to slip.

Ultimately I "sipped" the ball end of the mirror with an exacto knife. making lots of cross hatches all over the ball. I also "scored" the inside of the clamp area with the exacto knife as well. The mirror is good to 105mph (as fast as bike will go).

Also note that I loosen the clamp when I fold the mirror down, you almost have to the way I roughed things up! I also think the ability to quickly remove the mirror without tools is nice.
    Hope this helps someone who is considering these. I'm thinking about adding a second one!:deal
  8. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only thing I would recommend is on the BMW Ball ram mount is a squared off edges to tighten with a wrench. That's is all
  9. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    My only complaint with the Double Take mirrors has been that when tightened down nicely the rubber RAM ball distorts a lot. This makes adjustment problematic as the RAM arm wants to return to the same "dent" in the ball. This spring I also noticed that the RAM balls on my bike and my buddie's were starting to crack. So I ordered the RAM Tough-Balls which don't come in the right thread for my F800 but since my mounts were already half stripped from earlier mishaps I got the closest which were a 3/8 thread. I tapped the mount for 3/8 x 24 and then epoxied in the Tough Balls. Going on a good run this weekend so I will report back.
  10. archeranger

archeranger honest optimist

Oddometer:
    I saw these on Awesome Players and am glad to have found them!
  11. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    One of the most frequent questions we get from people who watch our videos is "What mirrors are those". We have helped to sell a ton of them.

12. DDT Rider

DDT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto.......
  13. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new toughball comes with a hex molded in... hopefully they decide to make a 10mm version one day!
  14. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    I ordered some Tough Balls in 3/8x24 and epoxied them in. The hex part is weak and spins on the shaft very easily. You will still need to use a RAM arm to get any sort of leverage. So far the Tough Balls are OK in use. They don't compress, no slippage, but there seems to more vibration. I think they have just enough rubber to let the mirrors shake but not enough to absorb any vibes. The F800 is pretty smooth so they still work fine for me. Have a big three day off-road ride coming up so will get a better idea of how they last.

15. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will be curious to hear your thoughts. We've been sending a few of the 8mm variant to folks who have that thread pitch on their bike, asking for feedback.
  16. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got one of the ram 8mm and the only feed back would be to have a wrench point on it at the base to snug it up
  17. Kainic

Kainic Almost there

Oddometer:
    Installed my new double take mirrors using Ram Tough Balls on my F650 Dakar. Mirrors seem to vibe pretty bad.
  18. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's worrisome. My theory is that the rubber of the normal/ old ball was serving a purpose in damping vibration.

Feel free to email us (ride@advmirror) if we can help/ replace parts.
  19. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
    I am unfortunately disappointed with my doubletake mirrors. Not only do they vibrate so bad on the freeway that I can't see anything, in order to keep them in place, I had to turn the screws down so tight the ram balls are smashed. And after a few days of commuting, the mirrors started folding again. :huh
    I tried numerous mirrors on my DRZ, and none held up to the abuse of brush and brushes with rocks, etc. I read so many positive reviews that I finally bought the bullet and spent what seemed like a lot for two mirrors. At first, I was satisfied, but after a few days, it wore off. I switched them to the DR650, thinking that the DRZ was just too much thumper (:lol3) for them. I so far have used the DR650 mostly on the freeway for commuting.
    I will try the method mentioned previously, scoring the balls of the mirror in a cross hatch pattern, but I will take my OEM mirrors with me this week, in case it doesn't work. It will not likely do anything in regards to the vibration.
    Another rider suggested I remove my windscreen, as it ties the handlebars to the fork mounts, defeating any anti-vibe rubber in the handlebar mounts. Perhaps that will cut the vibration a bit.
  20. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    The pair I mounted on my DR350S have worked fine. I had to retighten them after the first couple of rides, but I can see fine out of them (a little vibe, but nothing like the 'stockers).

They get full speed (75mph!) for 20 minutes 3-4 days a week, with a 1/2 mile of washboard to get from pavement to house.

I saw in reviews some folks that have had your issues, but only a few. Maybe there are "bad" RAM balls? Mine are fine.

And so are the ones I mounted on a Ducati M695 - until an idiot turned left in front of me. The doubletakes didn't move notably from the crash, and are still fine to look at. Haven't finished replacing the bent frame to test them as yet.