Importing a bike from the States to Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Duster929, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    There's no duty on any motorcycles period! Doesn't matter how old or new it is. Or where it is made. :1drink
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Only fees would be the 213 buck RIV along with tax.
  3. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Call Border Services (CBSA) with the make and model and where it's made (Japan? Thailand? etc) and they can tell you exactly - different duty rates apply by product and country of origin. Historically it's been about 6% but who knows what it is for your particular case?
  4. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks people, I will give CBSA a call.
  5. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I imported my KTM in 2007, I had the duty calculation done (at 6%) and the cash in hand. The Canada Customs Agent told me to stop trying to pay for items they don't collect duty on. When I imported my Tenere in 2011 duty was not a point of discussion by either party. :rofl
  6. I resisted buying in the US because I want to support my local dealer, this way I don't have to drive two hours to purchase an oil filter.

The erosion of the small market Canadian dealers work within..will get even smaller each time we buy south.

I agree there's savings to be had , but at what cost?

Ride safe
  7. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gobear,
    Do you mean to say that you can only buy an oil filter for a bike bought in the USA actually in the USA? If your local dealer won't sell you one, then there is something seriously wrong with the dealer.

As to purchasing locally vs. importing. I look for specific models, and if they are not available locally, I will look elsewhere. Also, I will not pay a high premium to buy local. I have told the local dealers that if they cannot compete on the international market, then they have a problem. Some have actually started to find ways to purchase accessories across the line, instead of thru the usual Canadian distributors, like Motovan and others, that tack on huge margins. Hey, the middle man must take his pound of flesh.

Also, for many years I have been riding old BMWs, and I can always find a much better deal on a good used 30+ year old bike from the USA, than in Canada. Usually 1/2 the price, even after importing, including the costs to go a check the bike out as well as transporting it back. Usual savings has been several thousands of Canadian dollars.

I do hate it when a manufacturer puts up road blocks to stop us from importing even their used bikes. Ural has done this. I would love to purchase a good used Ural from outside Canada. I cannot afford brand new. There are so few dealers in Canada and subsequently very few used Urals come available for sale here. But, I see them all the time for sale just south of the border, for very reasonable prices. But, we can't import them because Ural has not and will not submit the information to RIV. I got the information from RIV. When I tried to get information from Ural, I got the run around from Ural Canada importer and from Ural in Redmond Washington. So therefore, I will not buy a Ural.
  8. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    This confuses me.

Does your dealer not sell to Americans/world travellers on vacation who need service / an oil filter, or does he refuse them service as well?

or

Am I missing the point and were you thinking of importing a motorcycle that was not sold in Canada?
  9. What I was trying to say was that I didn't import my GS from the US so I could support my local dealer, if he disappears Montreal is the closest city where I could get parts and service.

Ottawa already lost a BMW because he wasn't supported, some would rather save $5.00 on a filter then support their local dealer... Sorry but my money stays in Canada.
  10. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    Are you sure Ottawa's BMW dealer is not supported because people are going to the USA? Or because of the lousy customer service, lack of knowledge and inflated prices compared to other BMW dealers in Canada.

Id choose to spend five bucks more to go to Montreal than shop at Ottawa's dealer.
  11. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    I look at it this way. I am willing to support my local dealer, if they are willing to support me with quality service and reasonable pricing. I do NOT support my local BMW dealer, as a matter of fact, I refuse to support any of the BMW dealers that are within 200KM to me. I have had quotes for parts from all of my "locals" and found that it is much cheaper for me to get parts shipped from either a non BMW OEM dealer or from England, Australia, South Africa or the good old USA. I don't expect them to have parts in stock, as I ride a 31 year old BMW, but it does not makes sense to me to pay more than double the price and wait up to 6 weeks to get parts that I can have delivered to my door from almost anywhere else in the world. In fact, I have had a case of 12 oil filters delivered from Motobins in England to my door, for less that it would cost me to buy 2 from the "locals".

I am now looking at getting a much newer bike, possibly a Japanese brand. I will give the locals that sell the brand I buy, a chance. If they can compete on the world market, fine. If not, so be it. I have already talked with the owner of my local Yamaha, Kawasaki, KTM dealership. He has told me that he always tries to match pricing to internet prices. So we will see what happens.I told him that I don't mind paying a bit more to keep the sale local, but I will not pay a huge premium for it. Sure, I want him to stay in busniess, but if he wants my business the service had better be top notch and pricing be competitive.

I am not like so many other BMW riders that have it in their mind that they have to buy everything from their BMW dealership, including the over priced oil and probably the air in the tires. As far as I am concerned, BMW has lost touch with it's roots. But, that is probably just me being an old codger.
  12. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    some dealers are worth supporting , I know one or 2 but I know lots that aren't. Honda , Harley etc make it hard not to want to buy usa . Eg Honda nc700x is 10 grand without taxes . With out taxes fees your seeing the same bike in cycletrader going for between 6 to7 grand. Even when they start showing up in a year used I think it's going to be the same price as a new old stock nc700x. There are some dealers worth giving your right nut to and some that you just want to leave a pile of turds in front of there door. You couldn't pay me to buy a bike a holeshot motorsports in langey bc. The manger told me once that they don't allow test rides till you sign on the line .
  13. Steveo.

Steveo. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thinking of a new bike and just wanted to be clear that if the RIV says "all models" in the admissable column, it doesn't matter what model or year, I can import it to Canada? I'd like to find a Triumph 800XC and they're way cheaper down south than around Calgary. I've imported a newer car and an old Landcruiser but have no experience bringing in a bike. Thanks!

***EDIT.. second question: Under Ducati, it says "2002 and newer" as admissable but isn't there an issue getting the recall clearance letters from Ducati NA for the bikes? I was pretty sure I read that on another forum, but can't find it now. Thanks.
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Yes, to your first question. I'd contact Ducati for an answer to your 2nd.

Good luck.
  15. Poutine

Poutine (⌐■_■)

Oddometer:
    Here's a little writeup about importing a bike while moving from California back to Montreal.

Just before moving I sold my BMW, Suzuki and Husqy as importing 3 bikes would be a paperwork/duty fee nightmare and bought the one bike I always wanted anyways, the '06 950 Adventure S. I payed the owner, grabbed the paperwork but didn't bother with any temp registrations, then after riding it a bit :wink: had the bike shipped via uShip.com from SF to a warehouse to Plattsburgh NY, about 10 miles from the border for $600.

I managed to get a recall clearance letter from KTM Canada for free, just had to prove I was moving so I sent a copy of my Cali driver license. They were very helpful. Then with that paper, the title and the US customs clearance i rode it the border. Paid the GST on the declared value of $5000, filled the paperwork then rode home, still on the last owner's Wyoming plates.

In Quebec you need to get TWO inspection stickers. The federal one at Canadian Tire is a joke, the guy at the register didn't even charge for it. Then the provincial is VERY thorough, these guys ride the bike and check everything. Luckily, no issues there. It passed even with Leo Vince racing pipes, I just screwed the noise baffles back in beforehand so they look more inoffensive.

Then you just have to show up at the Qc DMV, give them the paperwork and a stack of cash for the PST and the ridiculous $500 per year per bike fees and they'll give you your registration and plates on the spot.

All in all it was fairly painless, I'm glad I have the bike here with me even if I have to redo the motorcycle riding exams before I can ride here. Too bad you can't import California's roads as well, Quebec is home but its just not the same riding experience.

Cheers.

[​IMG]
  16. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Poutine? Pierre Poutine? I think someone is looking for you!! :D :freaky
  17. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    :roflJust got the cheese out. :DToo bad no real fresh stuff here,much better if never refrigerated/frozen.:wink:
  18. Stewart5533

Stewart5533 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the process of bringing over my third Aprilia, only now to find out that they now are jumping on the band wagon, wanting to charge $150 for the clearance letter, they are calling it a processing fee, and the funny thing in the reply email to me, they said there records show the bike you currently want to purchase has no recalls against it, you would think they could have just sent that to me on a letter head and be done with it. WTF.....
  19. GrenDesb

GrenDesb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I contacted a US dealer in the past to get a recall clearance document and he didn't even know what this was.

At that time, I crossed the border anyways to learn that KTM Canada charges 500$ to issue such document.

I'm about to import another bike and wanting to bypass trial and error, calling one dealer and another, I'd like to know:

Which US Dealer would you guys refer me to to get a recall clearance letter.

Regards

Alex
  20. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Get the owner of the bike you are buying to get the letter from his dealer. They cannot refuse to give it to him. That's what I did when I bought my 950 in Seattle.
    :1drink