Low Guard/Brake-line Recall 04-05Adventures?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by numbaphive, Dec 3, 2005.

1. numbaphive

numbaphive not quite rite

Oddometer:
    I have seen information on this forum about front wheel lock-up caused by mud and the cross-over brake line/low guard on 04-05Adventures. It happened to me today in the middle of nowhere and all alone (to know me is ta hate me). Lucky 4 me I had the right tools, plenty of water and was traveling rather slowly, hence the bike stayed upright and I was adequately refreshed. I am now officially afraid of this bike. Are KTM gunna wait til someone dies before re-calling/modifying this problem.

After the event I started to think of the numerous times I've been traveling on dirt/gravel roads at speeds well over 100km/h and wondering about the consequences of front wheel lock up. It would only take one rock of the right size to really fuck up ya day.

The first lock up, approx 4k's down the track. Cleaned out mud and went on me merry way.

[​IMG]

The second lockup, about 50m from the first one....grrrrrrrrrrrr. As you can see from the pic I only had to make it about 25m to solid ground. So I removed the guard, strapped it to the bike and set off on me merry way again. Wheel locked up within 10m's as the brake-line was locking the front wheel without the guard. Cleaned guard and placed it back on the bike and finally made it to solid ground.

[​IMG]

This is all it takes. Not much mud by any stretch of the imagination.

[​IMG]

Once I hit solid ground I removed guard and cleaned it again then set off 4 home (about 80km's) with this sense of foreboding that hey maybe the guard has been weakened and any little rock could cause this to happen on the tar at 100+km/h.

It wasn't all bad

[​IMG]

Will ring me deala on the morrow and ask him to contact KTM with me concerns. Then I'll ring Dalby Moto and order the high guard mod.
  2. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    I think that swings it for me, I have been thinking of a high guard and brake line mod for a while now.
  3. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    c'mon man!..... are you serious?

Page 23 of the manual clearly states: 'Do not ride this motorcycle anywhere that may produce a build up of brown matter between the wheels and the seat - severe personal embarrassment may be a consequence'

:D

get the high mudguard, QED!
  4. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    FIXED!
  5. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    yup! dats the one, I don't read so good.... :D and on Page 25:

'if motorcycle performance causes aformentioned 'soiling' condition.. please remove the plug lead to reduce manner of power delivery in the most adverse conditions'
  6. numbaphive

Oddometer:
    Page 26
    "when front wheel locks up and tosses you over the bars please remove (at your earliest possible convenience) the brown matter between your anus and ya pants, assuming both your arms still work. In the case of arm malfunction blame the unmistakable stench on the first person to arrive at the scene thus redirecting any unwanted attention from yourself"

7. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    and who says we men, never ever, read the instructions! :D
  8. scottmoto16

scottmoto16 Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At least you are drinking the best (light) beer in Australia , IMO.

Have been running a Dunlop 908 front tyre on my 05 ADV , which was picking up rocks and destroying the standard , low guard.

Did the cheap-skates high guard conversion.
    Supermoto front guard , SX85 fork protectors and removed right side disc and caliper.
    One disc , even with the stock master cylinder works fine , for me.
  9. numbaphive

Oddometer:

Best beer in the entire world.

Thanks for the info. Think I'll keep both me disc's as I use every bit of power they provide with one finger on the lever.

Will contact Dalby Moto today and order their high guard kit with the supamoto guard.

On a serious note someone's gunna go over the bars when this happens, hurt themselves and damage their bike. If you have this low guard talk to ya deala and let them know about this problem, I'm sure most of them (the deala's)would be aware by now. The more times they here about this problem the less they can ignore it.

10. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    They'll either dismiss it out of hand, or say.... 'shit yeah Man! that low guard is real dangerous..... why don't we do a high guard conversion and we'll pickup the tab for all the new parts and installation labour...'

Yeah right!

More likely,

:eatme

Whadya expect 'em to do?...
  11. numbaphive

Oddometer:

Braap - Destroyer of dreams, smasha of illusions, bringa of reality....you bastard :cry

Ordered the high guard from Dalby today($330) before speakin with me deala as I would prefer to do this face to face. I'm sure, he will at least ring KTM with yet another complaint about the low guard, that's all I can really ask.

Don't think he will tell me to "eat him" as I've purchased 2 bikes from him this year as well as spendin a few thousand on accessories/services.

PS: thanks for the tyre info.
  12. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    my Parole Officer thinks I'm a nice guy deep down, too!... like, six feet down!

I'd be interested to know the 2nd brake line part number you get, I was fobbed off with a SX85 line and it aint right! the banjo at the master cylinder isn't cranked over enough so I got this big dumb ass loop above my bars that grows when the forks stroke thru.... shits me!

I'd really like to have a single line from the m/cylinder down to a T-piece / union at the lower triple clamp, then 2 lines down to calipers... sounds tidier?

What color SM guard?
  13. scottmoto16

Oddometer:
    Go the black one.
    The orange one doesnt match up very well with the painted tank/fairing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. bigdog1971

bigdog1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey there BSTARD.

Ive just gotta say...... I TOLD YOU SO!!:amazon

Remember when we went on that ride I mentioned this to you as a concern.

Good to hear you held on to it and no bark removed.

KTM need to look at the package of what people do with their product and modify accordingly.

Are you busy over Xmas and wanna play??

Scotty
  15. numbaphive

Oddometer:
    Should get me bits by the end of the week, I'll keep ya posted.

Goodridge would be the folks to talk to about the junction thingo.
    http://www.goodridge.net/maincat2002/SECTION7.pdf

Same colour as the inside of me lungs.
  16. numbaphive

Oddometer:
    Don't poke the hive man, I have dirt....Muhahahaha
    [​IMG]

Goin down south for xmas, still get out every weekend though.

How'd the Sid's ride go?
  17. Lefty

Lefty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    scottmoto16: By the look of the picture you have the new forks. Have you just removed one of the discs? If so have you noticed any loss in breaking power?
    The black fender looks really good btw.
  18. scottmoto16

Oddometer:
    Same forks , just with Carbon look protective stickers on the upper forks.

Yes , have just removed one (right side) disc

Some loss in braking performance , but still strong enough to stand bike on its nose on the road , and more than strong enough off road.
  19. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I wish I could remember where the thread was, but it was a long time ago... pretty sure it was some 950 folks, but since you have the 950s front end it should be about the same.

A european (pretty sure) used some aluminum stock to make a spacer to raise the low guard up perhaps 3cm or so. I think it depends on how much play the crossover brake line has (or you could get a longer one made pretty cheaply). Just a couple of bits between the guard mount points and the guard was about it. Just take a gander at yours and you should see what I am referring to. :wave
  20. scottmoto16

Oddometer:
    Remember reading somewhere here , about raising the front guard up slightly.

I think you have to be carefull of clearance issues with the guard and the lower triple clamp , on full compresion of the forks.