please show how you attache "Pelican" bags to you bike

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    First show is as in PICTURES...or diagrams or well explain procedures.

this topic is being explore a few times but never with much focus, sound like is time we made a collection of the diferent methods, alteratives and aproaches use to mount NONE motorcycle specific bags(surplus, plastic, metal, homemade,,,etc) into your two wheel horse..

the last tread was this one about the 640 bags but since the topic is kind of generic we better keep it Open, is being a few of them before lets try to make this one the collection of all the wisdom already explore.

so please try to keep it in focus and concise so we can all benefit from each other work

let it ride:ricky
  2. Hedge36

Hedge36 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You just looking for side bag mountings, Ricky, or are you interested in top case mounts as well?
  3. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    I will say whatever since many of the methods can be use for diferent aplications, farder more even little cases like my XMradio prototype can be useful i believe

I will say anything goes as longest is useful for the comunity
  4. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

this one is soppose to become a pennytech roll chart if i ever figure out how to install the servo motors
    [​IMG]
    Here are the rest of the pictures from the project

here is the really small box for the XMradio
    [​IMG]

all the wires are seal, the black grommet plays a big part of the roll
    [​IMG]

from the outside, after the box is close becomes totally waterproof the only problem i found so far is that the translucent "Roof" can generate a "green house effect" when is really hot..no big deal you just open the top since ussually when is hot is not raining at the same time,,,also to reach the controls the box need to be open, but the XM is crattle well enogh to not fall
    [​IMG]

other Photos of the XMradio project

this one was made for the Radar detector
    [​IMG]
    and
    Here are the rest of the project fotos

sorry I realie allready i'm out of focus since i show you the aplications more than the way i "mount them" well the rest fo the fotos show how was done..

Please feel free to post your won or anything you find interesting from other people.
  5. AFekete

AFekete Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe that the mounts that are attached to the hepco becker aluminum bags are available seperately through another company. Since Touratech and H&B use similar style luggage racks it may be a good idea to purchase the bag mounts and attach them to the Pelican cases.

Check the backet out mounted to this case. It would be pretty easy to make a smaller mount and adapt it to some pelican boxes.

[​IMG]

I know this is more of a fixed mounted system but they racks are pretty damn sturdy.

Also, SW Motech makes quick lock side racks that look pretty cool as well.
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/index.php/article/view/36/1/9

just some ideas...

-A
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I am posting this here because I posted it everywhere else. maybe jimjib wants to speak up for his own handywork or scottcolbath as its now his bike (i have never seen the bike in person...).

7. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I can not wait to see what jim is mounting on his sand buggys this days.

come on jimjib show us your magic:ricky
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    so do they sell just the "Bracket" to addapt to any bags :eek1

this is going pretty well from the start..

thanks
  9. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    More ideas and transfers from the other thread: :D

10. AFekete

AFekete Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the 1420's are perfect for smaller dual sport bikes and if they were a tad larger they would be perfect for many other applications.

The metal mounting racks, I believe are available seperately. Not through Hepco Becker, but from the company that makes them. A friend of mine was looking into mounting the BMW Adventure bags to Hepco Becker mounts as the BMW case mounts are rather pricey.

What I think would be a great idea is to remove a set from the bags and re-engineer them for smaller/lighter bags. They are made from stamped aluminum so manufacturing them would be pretty simple.

I'll do some more digging..

thanks,
    A
  11. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    since i did not have a camara at the time,,hell I did not even have a computer at the time..

a few years back I use a bunch of shimano snowboard "CLIPLESS bindings (like SPD bike shoes but for snowboards) with exelent results

super Quick Release capabilities (90 deggre twist) and very narrow(less than 20MM) so they did not made the bags really wide,,
    I use this with a set of soft bags(ligher) but I don't see why not they can not be use for a hard cases.

I'm being out of contact with that industry for a long time so I don't know if is any better alternatives available or they became obsolete.
    for sure to mount bags this "bindings" are the cats piyamas
  12. AFekete

AFekete Long timer

Oddometer:
    Through DARR at 59 Euro per side ($80 US jerk off the street price :deal )

here is the description;
    Lockable high-speed mounting plate for all DAERR boxes for the assembly at HEPCO & BECKER porter. Galvanized with the box one bolts firmly. The box rests upon laminar, so that on the rear wall with falls is not to be counted verb owls. Cultivation: The box with installed adapter is connected with the porter, by being inserted in front with claws into the carrier framework and attached at the rear end with a folding lever catch as at the box cover. Properly matching stabilization borders reach above and down into the carrier framework. The cultivation of the adapter at the box (and thus the cultivation height of the box at the carrier) can be varied approx. 5cm in the height. The box is to be secured for safety reasons additionally with a 1,6m clamping belt at the porter. The locking for the box cover and adapter is equivalent, a key been sufficient thus. For each lock 2 keys are provided. Tap: "gleichschliessende" Locks in sufficient quantity equal along-ordered, since the locking changes constantly, later only different locking to be thus supplied can. The mounting plate fits for all DAERR boxes, is differentiated only between right and left cultivation side. From the lock all small articles necessary for the assembly participate apart.

and a picture :
    [​IMG]

-A
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Very cool Andrew,

a few of us here are very interested in somebody engineering a break-away mechanism into the mount. The pelicans will be the last thing to break in a hard fall (especially if they catch on something on the ground) meaning that the rack, mounts, or worse some part of the bike they attach to will give... :cry

my earlier post goes into this. :thumb
  14. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Ricky, I would like to hear more about the SPD mounts. It seems like you could use an SPD to hold the box to the bike, and two or three other simple points to support weight/align the thing? SPD pedals cost nothing these days, especially the cheap knock offs. I still use ATACs on my mtb, but some nashbar pos would suffice in this context, right? Show us how you used them!

Paolo
  15. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HB Rack and mounting donuts which are ZEGZ :nod :nod
  16. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:

No, NO, nO I was taking about SNOWBOARD clipless bindings not Bicycle SPD's sistems..

basically I made a small plate mount to the bike out of delrin with sufficient surface to hold the male(skinny none protruding part) part of the sistem and than made a rigid backing for the soft bags and atache the female part to it...

the way you install them is pretty much the same way a bicycle pedal work you just click them in do to the ONE way wedge and then when you want to release the bags you just twist them around,,same thing on a accident or a drop,,

now is being a lond time since I have one of this clipless things in my hands(sold the bike with the panniers) so i can not tell you if they have the load capability to hold a 20 pound case plus the content,, i'm sure the tension can be increase and even if the concept proof correct a similar concept can be implemented specially design for motorcycle use..

if anybody have some out of season clipless bindings please show some fotos for others to understand,,this things are about 5'-6' in diameter to the contact surface is super subtancial and very rigid and solid..:ricky
  17. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    Looks good, Looks like a new install, or are these older photos. Are you going to add some straps between the lid and base.

I have though about using the TT mounts too. Do you think adding some extra material under the mounting points would help spread the load a little? Like maybe some aluminum flat stock spanning from side to side, one strip up top and one for the bottom points. Does the TT hardware have enough threads left to fit and extra plate in there?

P.S. Nice looking r1100gs Year? Milage?Final Drive?, back to topic.
  18. azabeemerboy

azabeemerboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    here are some I found just looking around

this is a
    K2 selling for $29,85 requires a lever to release the bag reason i never use them,,i did not know how to figure out how to release it,,but maybe now that i know far more stuff can be implement in no time
    [​IMG]

this is a Switch Standard N Type for $130 a little to much if you ask me.
    [​IMG]

sorry i can not find the shimano sistem anywere but i'm sure you get the idea..they are small, sofisticated and able to hold far more load than a small bag(i don't know about a big one)
  20. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    well is always that little problem call Intelectual property when it comes the time to copy somebody elses design,, I much rather contact them and see if they are interested in opening a new market,,I know for others this old values are just that OLD but at least in my case I will never "Copy" somebody elses design at least not with out paying them rollaties, asking for permision or at the very least give them some credit..

beside their mounts don't really offer a quick release feature(at least not for many impact angles since they are a "Railing" sistem and they only move in one axis) in case of a accident imperative in the design parameters of this quest..

still a very interesting concept ,simple to manufacture and for sure to install,,so good for them that spend many hours figuring out the concept and then how to produce it for their own benefit