L. A. ADVenture Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Mar 5, 2008.

1. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

mine might be coming off tomorrow, so lets meet up for coffee at Intelligentsia tomorrow morning for the photo op !:thumb :rofl
  2. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:

in the future, let's hit this joint again, do an over nighter, and would love to take your route.

:ricky

Cough Cough!!
    What a beautiful day to ride. Really sorry that I couldn't be out riding. Rollergirl was surprised that none of you guys on big bikes caught her up on LockwoodValley road.

If anybody has any lightly-used riding gear that might fit that smiley little girl in the middle of the picture, please send me a pm. She has a long trip on the back of a 990 planned and needs some better riding gear[/quote]

i'm not surprised we didn't catch up with rollergal. been only at lwv rd 3x, i am still unfamiliar with the curves and road condition; i think it is tougher ride than the 33 plus tracy was on her home turf...:D

wonderfully done duy and glad to hear you guys had a great time as well...:beer
  3. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Terrific pix, thanks to all for posting.

A few questions for some of the riders this past w/e:

1) Jamin, what's the background with your chain? Stock or a/m, how many miles, O ring or std, well maintained or neglected?

2) For the 2 XR650L riders with a/m gas tanks, which one did you buy, Clarke or IMS, and what capacity? Any issues with mounting the tank? Did you notice any handling issues with the increased fuel load? Also, what color; red, white, black or natural?

I'm leaning towards a 4 gal natural Clarke tank, as I've read the IMS tank places the petcock close to the head cooling fins.

Thanks.
  4. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock O-ring w/6000ish miles a bit neglected but I was running 2 master links so I could swap out the front sprocket from 15T to 13T. I didn't find ether of the master links on the chain after wrenching it out.

I got the Clark 4.7 its a big old pumpkin of a gas tank it gives me a 200 mile range but when full you feel it, there no siphon so if your running low you need to lean the bike over to the left to slosh the gas over to the petcock side and the reserve is short I've gotten less then 10 miles out of it once:eek1 it comes with a safety bar that runs between the frame that dose almost nothing so a lot of guys will take the mount for the safety bar and make a bracket that connects to where the smog stuff use to be.

Hope that help
  5. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ Whoa, you're a lucky man!

Same thing happened to my Husky 610SM's stock chain at 7K miles, master link failed at hiway speed and the chain wrapped around my CS sprocket!

If it wrapped around the rear wheel, that would've been bad news for me!

I figured 4.7 gals would be too much, and 4 gals should be about right and give me a 160ish mile range, which would be terrific! I didn't see the point of a 3 gal tank, as that is only .2 or .4 gals more than the stock tank.

I'm leaning towards natural, so I can see the gas level, and getting the XRs Only decals to give it some color.

Any issues with getting the Clarke tank on, petcock, etc?

Thanks.
  6. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it could have been a lot worse...

No just blow it out with compressed air, slosh some gas around it, drain it, fill it back up and you should be good.

I don't know why that photo is so huge.
  7. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:

you must have selected the original format...:baldy

go back to your web hosting site and select the picture size.

in smugmug, we can choose the size of the pics from small, med, large, xlarge and so on. the biggest one is the "original".

hope that helps.
  8. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    So here's the video from the day, I had a corrupted card possibly from the crash where I smashed my head and thumb into the ground so theres not as much footage as I hoped for anyhow hope yall enjoy

<OBJECT height=505 width=853>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TU45iaZY5yo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></OBJECT></P>
  9. trid

trid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Incredible Video... Thanks for savin my Sat and draggin me around the outback! Paul aka TRID:clap :clap
  10. Rev Kiecker

Rev Kiecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What time for coffee?
  11. Rev Kiecker

Oddometer:
    Awesome video. Best part of the day was everyone's Never Say Die attitudes. Riding Hwy 33 in the pitch dark is a blast.....I highly recommend...seriously :clap Thanks again for providing the route Jammin.
  12. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice video jammin. What caused you to crash? To bad about the chain. i have always heard good things about the stock chain and sprockets. Most guy I know get oven 10,000 miles on the stock set. Heal fast. Ben
  13. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lack of skill and talent:lol3 and I washed the front on a rut. as for the chain I could have taken better care of it :deal Live and learn and I only seem to learn the hard way.
  14. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...DAMN! abbalootly heroic score. It's alwys nice to have a dedicated camera guy along. :ricky
  15. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    Are you guys using rivet or clip master links? I always heard clip links were much weaker, especially if the closed end of the clip is not installed facing the direction of travel. I only use the rivet kind on my DR350 and Vstrom.
  16. rruugger

rruugger formally Sir Crashalot

Oddometer:
    Y'll notice in this perticular shot............................the chain stayed on just not the windshield! :rofl
    [​IMG]
  17. jamin_mathis

jamin_mathis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was using 2 clip master links so I could swap a 13 to 15 and I have no idea witch way they where facing:shog I think from now on I will only use the rivet style and swap between a 14 and 15 front sprockit.

:lol3 :clap
  18. Fishyhead

Fishyhead Eremikophobic

Oddometer:
    Awesome video!
  19. RSC E

RSC E ADVWNT2B

Oddometer:
  20. Rev Kiecker

Oddometer:
    Here's a few of the photos I took during the ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest the others covered pretty well. Thanks again for the ride.