Rallye navigation bracket photo thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by wrk2surf, May 4, 2011.

1. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    The side plates are different from the triple to the frame mounted version. The rest is the same.

[​IMG]

There are a few WR450's out there, but haven't setup a WR250R yet, need to get one back in the shop.

We made some stands to mockup different configs, but Damn Dimitri, I don't rate that, it's very nice!

Very well said Dimitri, this is where I'm at too. I've had mine on the bike for about a month with a few singletrack rides and a rally type 200+mile ride and am sold. This is staying on my bike.

After the few rally rides held out here as well as the Baja rally I've asked guys what was the main failure point. Overwhelmingly they are electrical, amazing amount of ICO failures as well as RB holder issues.

I don't think it can be stated enough especially for beginners the number of skills needed to learn, throw in equipment issues and frustration grows and the experience goes south fast. But eliminate that and a huge amount of the entry costs, then training and participating becomes downright enjoyable.
  2. Linusp3

Linusp3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that HDPE? It looks really nice! Is is as durable as aluminum? Easy to work with? Anything special to think about before start working with the material?
  3. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    Yes HDPE, has proved to be very durable so far, but the best properties for the tower were flex in crashes and vibration attenuation. It can be hard to hold while cutting and a dead sharp cutter will leave less deburring.
  4. Linusp3

Linusp3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What thickness are you using?
  5. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    For the frame mounts the main ones are 3/8", then the ones that bolt to the RB mount are 1/4".

[​IMG]

The triple mounts are 1/4" and have no problem holding all the weight of lights and nav gear.

[​IMG]
  6. Linusp3

Linusp3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No risk the threads of the bolts will be eating the plastic due to vibrations? Have you reinforced the drilled holes in any way?
  7. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    Hasn't been an issue yet with quite a few setups out there. Loctite and lock washers keep the plastic pretty captive.
  8. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply:thumb Clever indeed, problem solved with only two relays. (To use push buttons you would need relays anyway). Personally I prefer the maximum simplicity of the toggle switch but relays can be reliable components...
  9. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    To use the 2014 350 EXC 4 lamp computer protector with the top clamp, do I just unbolt the ktm computer from the oem location and slide it into the HDB protector? Is the computer harness long enough?

Thanks in advance
  10. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  11. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    With the relays you can also use a SPDT toggle as well, was thinking of making a mount for that as a backup too.
  12. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Paul.
  13. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It all depends how far pilo wants to take the development. Just think of the abilities of a phone compared to a tripmaster. You want a cable? I am sure, given the time and money they can do it. Temp sensors? ANT+ devices for heart rate? The thing is a datalogging device and it does not go cheaper than that. The auto calc function (if a cable is present) could be embedded in the code and, beleive me again, this is going to be huge if pilo does it. The processor on these things can do multitasking, run other tasks in the background, do live tracking, with the right apps you could see where your buddies are in the course, and on top of that you could play tetris during the breaks :lol3

I dont's see the device being used in Dakar for example, but, (and again I have researched as much as I could in this ....) the rally racers are what? 20% of the whole? 30%? There is 70% out there wanting to get into the rally experience, but don't want to spend 1500 USD for a nav setup. They buy a used roadbook, and with the iphone they are there.

The accuracy of the GPS. I hear you on that. I would use a qstarz bluetooth gps at 10Hz (connected with the iphone) and all the accuracy that I would need is there :D But, you have to remember that these people are there for the fun of it. When I am not racing, I like to get lost anyway. It's part of the game. Plus, if the course is logged, the ''author'' could put notes like RB tulips and an exclamation mark would pop on the screen to warn you for the upcoming dangers. Having trying to get into the Android programming in the last couple of years (got out of it though :lol3 ), give somebody the time and you could do anything with these things.... These are computers, not tripmasters (and I am not trying to say something bad for the trips), but imagine a tripmaster with a GPS. Well, there are a couple and the first number in the price is 5 :D. Then imagine one with a three axis accelerometer. The cheapest accelerometer is 200 USD at the moment. The safety is there, the digits are font size 50 for the old people (no offence pilo and Paul :D ) and you could match the colors of your Nav setup, change the brightness... I see no boundaries in this, I see pilo programming most of the time :deal
    ----
    Regarding the relays in the swithces. Paul, by size, I meant the ''capacity'' of the relays. I used some super mini relays that could be hidden inside the multiswitch, but when the motor asked for more juice the got burned... I like the idea inside the RB.
    The bonus is that you can have your normal switch and once this is damaged you go to your backup without the need to stop, see, fix etc. It fixes the motor lock so an added bonus is there.... You also use normal buttons so the cost is kept relatively low.

I got to know the problems with HDPE earlier this month when we tried to manufacture covers for the roadbook using HDPE. Lighter than thermoplastic we could save some weight. Then I got to trim the whole thing manually... :huh
    At high thickness it has adequate stifness. For me the big bonus with plastics is the vibration attenuation. With the right design these things will never crack due to vibration were in the aluminium, sometimes you have to change the design to make sure the cracks will not initiate and given the time and the bike this may not be true. That is why anti-vibration pads are all around. Come February I will have a good solution for a hybrid mounting bracket. Cheaper than AL, better performer as it will maintain shape, and lighter than air. Now I need a mold to make all the parts of the roadbook out of the same material :lol3:rofl

I am going back in the dungeon...
    D.
  14. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:

I think the only thing missing so far (and they are working on it) is indeed the remote. Once you can easily increment decrement the distance, the autocal is a simple algorithm comparing the actual distance with the adjustment made by the rider over a leg of the terrain. If every x distance you input a manual correction of y % distance the autocal function can apply a correcting factor to the next gps distances. It can even prompt the rider "was your last correction one i should consider for autocal (or were you lost?)".

D is right, the possibilities are endless , a smartphone nowadays is a hugely powerfull processor and it comes factory equipped with last generation GPS, accelerometers, 3 axis compass, memory to spare and it is cheaper than any purpose built nav instrument. Solve the interface and the "off road bike environment" survival and you can do a lot with it.
  15. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:

Don't forget Angry Birds for the liaison section.

Why stop at mobile phones? 7'' tablets are a good size for a road book and all other information. Imagine a digital road book that is already colored and decimals blacked out. :evil
    I've recently got a Nexus 7 and I'm amazed how powerful the little thing is. Screen is very, very sharp and bright. It blows away any Apple product.
    Is there any technical reason why the Rally app (or similar) can't run on Android?
  16. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    This violates the "Rule of 78".
    All navigation equipment for rally MUST be derived from technology that existed in 1978. ie, The Casio Watch=The ICO and The Cassette tape player=Roadbook Holder.
    :wink:
  17. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just have to say for someone that has been avoiding the whole smartphone thing this kinda stuff is going to make me switch. I mean I'd love to make a nav setup and I have tried but these ideas/products are advancing so quickly that it beckons the question of why not.......

the only thing I am still trying to do is find/make a printer that can print onto a A5 width paper roll. Then my home made road book will be able to be used with the rallyapp program that is avaliable to make your own rolls etc with tulips. i an get it done at a printer nearby but the paper loss is huge and its easier at home of course. If someone has a easy way of doing this with a home printer (without taping together) please post it here.

I have to say congratulations to all the people involved in these ideas, they are going to move me (someone trying to stay in the mud) and maybe others..... keep it up!!!!!!!! :D:D:D
  18. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    I can attest that this set up totally Bad Ass . I a little concern with the weight on the front of the bike when i first seen it but that all went away as soon as I jumped on the bike. With the ridge frame mount I couldn't feel any difference in the way the bike handled. This is the set up for night rides and most defininitely Baja
  19. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Is anyone making and selling a mounting block for the CRF450X ?
    I'm currently running a bar mounted set up from RNS and it was great for the two day event I did but now I've picked up a second bike and wanted to build something for the Safari which would be a more traditional tower.

I thought I'd ask here first before I go to a machinist.

My current set up.

[​IMG]

Cheers.
  20. Mike_MRS

Mike_MRS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what's the steering tube diameter nry?