950 Super Enduro "Quick Question(s)" Thread...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by WARRIORPRINCEJJ, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find that now I deleted my speedo/temp guage I obsess about temp alot less. :wink:

I used to pay too much attention to it, now I don't even think about it. It doesn't boil over, the fan cycles, all is well. You'd be better off to tape over the damn thing IMO. :lol3
  2. pepetrueba

pepetrueba PEPEBAJA

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I will purchase some after work
    Nice remedy for carbon fibre
    :D
  3. markie_wales

markie_wales Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a little drop-sie-poos on Saturday the rear brake stop bolt sheared and the eccentric "washer/spacer" came off. The bolt broke flush to the frame, so I'll need to drill it out & re-tap, or maybe a left handed drill bit will do the business. I sort of treat this as a sacrificial bolt and not too worried it went.

Anyway, this got me to thinking, if I was on a long week(s) trip and this happened I would not be able to fix it on the trail. So is there any reason why I shouldn't drill it through with a 6mm drill and just stick a nut on the inside of the frame (although it might be a bit fiddly)? This way I could carry a spare nut, bolt and spacer in my tool bag and fix on the trial?

I know I've probably missed something obvious, but for the life of me I can't think what would be wrong about this.

cheers

Markie

EDIT bolt stub now out, so just wondering whether to replace as-is or drill through and stick a nut on a longer bolt?
  4. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems like a good idea to me.
  5. MP5

MP5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Wings Pipe, which has that black carbon type wrap around it. It had started to peel off before I bought it, and is now getting worse. (I assume because of heat).

Anyone else suffered this ?
    Can I just buy new wrap....or will Wings replace it?
  6. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally got out for a few days riding in the Smokey mountains.

"Quick" question - do you use any throttle input when starting the bike cold? any difference when hot?

[​IMG]
  7. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:

Full choke cold with no throttle, a little blip when hot, WOT after a tip over and flood.
  8. wilso122

wilso122 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just my opinion but have a personal hatred for carbon end cans as they simply cant take the heat and degrade over time, seems twins eat them, same on the 900ss, tl100 and seen it on ADV's as well. They are great if you are racing and get them free but for most mortals with a budget go for titanium every time.

As for the rest I would ask Wings directly, but, cant see you getting much luck.
  9. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  10. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 My carbon Remus lasted all of about 6000kms before the rivets rattled loose for the end caps. They offered a replacement but said if I went with another carbon warranty was over, they offered a Ti as a replacement with normal warranty terms so that's what I ended up with.
  11. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    need some help please

i have a slight miss at low revs (at idle it's ok) / it's just off idle @ about 50kph then it disappears as i get past 60kph & up.

bike sits in a shed at home
    originally i thought it was plugs so replaced them no fix & moisture as the bike sat in a good days down pore at work - a month ago.
    i've sprayed all areas with wd40 that i could think maybe were moisture would cause it.
    last couple weeks its been good weather 25+ degrees celcius so no moisture should be left.

bike sat for 3 weeks untill my throttle cables arrived for my FCR's (snapped cable)
    yesterday i sync my carbs & the miss is still there & i swapped plugs again cr8eix & cr8ek ? ? ?

any ideas guys :ear

i'll be in & out of the house trying to sort this so i'll reply when i can. cheers
  12. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might be time to give your carbs a clean.
  13. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    sorry i did not mention that in my post
    yes i pulled the jets & blew them out , float bowls were clean also.
    K&N filters cleaned & resprayed with oil.

one thing i did notice when doing my sync.
    on the carbtune - as i SLOWLY open the throttle the front FCR carb opens/rod rises way faster than the rear FCR carb ?

BUT at the cables i have them adjusted so the slightest pull movement both FCR carbs are opening at the same time.

hope you guys understand what im saying.

at idle there fluctuating on the carbtune @ + or - 1cmhg of each other
  14. ct_rider

ct_rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For some reason my fuel light stopped working. I checked the connection at the front of the tank by the horn and it is solidly connected and isn't damaged. No fuses are blown.

Anything I should check for?

Leaving for a week long trip in a couple days and want to get this sorted as the fuel range is pretty terrible and I don't want to run out.
  15. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have a clue what can cause this?
    I participated in two day-long motorcycle orienteering events during last month and both time had similar problems.
    Bike runs just fine until suddenly it will not start anymore like battery has run out, relay only clicking or very slowly turning engine. After I got it started with the help from another bike, it runs fine again and I can start it like 15min after this has happened and no signs from weak battery.
    Both times have been quite cold, +10...+15C and rainy, a lot of mud and water. Any hints, what can cause this problem? Weak electrical connection somewhere?
    I use my bike for daily commuting and it runs fine again, no problems I am aware off, power is ok and fuel consumption also reasonable.
  16. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Bad Stator.:dunno
  17. wilso122

wilso122 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So it only happens when the bike gets hot on trails? You stop wait for it to cool down / battery to recover and its ok?

So maybe Regulator / Rectifier getting hot / clogged up / breaking down??

Or a bad earth?
  18. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't measured voltage yet, but while I use my bike daily, it's not low charging voltage (broken regulator) I guess.
    Bike was at running temperature, not too hot (max 5 bars). It didn't start itself, I used wires to connect battery to another bike.
    15minutes later it started itself without problems and is running fine after that. First time bike died when I started to brake on 3rd gear, second time was after I dropped bike while turning around (no speed, just lost my balance in slippery mud)
    It's around +10C here and my bike sits outside all nights, no problems with starting in cold mornings, although I still have original battery (4,5 years, 46000km old).
    I suspected bad connection somewhere in ignition circuit after ignition lock, but it happens so seldom, is it possible (twice within last month and 1000km)? Battery leads were tight, I have to check earth to frame yet.
  19. TrentW

TrentW MMmmmm....

Oddometer:
    Probs a bit late, but I've drilled through and used a longer bolt exactly as you describe after having the same thing happen to me.

I also carry a spare nut, bolt and spacer for trail side repairs.
    I used a nyloc nut on the inside of the frame so it won't come loose.

No problems so far, but typically haven't had to use the spare since I did the mod...
  20. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    Im doing a buddys SE.

It's been so long since I did mine ... What are you guys doing with the 2 Extra carb vent hoses that come from the Brass 90 Degree Elbows on the carbs ?? :ear

These are the ones opposite from where the 10" & 11" vent hoses connects.

I read that their for venting the carbs in deep water crossings :scratch :dunno

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange Garage/Emissions Equipment/canisterectomy.html

http://home.comcast.net/~garrysimmons/ktm/SAS-Canister-Removal.htm

Im thinking I capped mine off, rather than running the tee'd hose up thru the Snorkle .... but I dont remember :ddog

I left the aluminum insert in the bottom of airbox, used a short 6mm bolt, fender washer & nut instead of epoxying the hole up :clap

Help or pic appreciated :thumb