01 r1150gs thoughts

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by wario, Jul 31, 2012.

1. wario

wario still a good bike cleaner...

Oddometer:
    I need help from the GSpot inmates as this could be my first 2 wheel BMW purchase...

Found a 2001 1150gs with ~75k mile, well appointed and cared for, and being brokered by a very reputable dealer. Price seems in line - now, what do I look for- issue wise? Wants: smooth, reliable, comfortable single and two up riding. Pans: I don't want a maintenance queen.... Need great mile eating capabilities, city and highway.

I'm a very seasoned rider, dirt and street. Had many bikes, currently only have a oldWing, just sold my dl1k to a friend.

I'd be greatly indebted for some honest advice and direction. :1drink
  2. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You had better hope that the previous owner had the opposite attitude if you are buying a 75K mile GS.
  3. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apart from all the basic stuff like service records, smoking engine, excessive or unusual noise (good luck with that one), brake smoothness, rideability etc, the only other worthwhile check is the rear wheel play at 12/6 and 3/9 positions. Any bike that rides fine can have issues about to rear their head. I doubt the dealer will allow you to drop rear drive oils, or check splines, or do any other sort of tear-down. Second hand? Good condition? Reputable dealer? You still take your chances unless you get an iron-clad warrenty period that covers all mechanical failures in the first x months or x miles. That is something we don't get here with second-hand motorcycles.

Best thing you can do is go through the existing records and confirm any major issues in the past. If the records are just book stamps on service intervals, or no records, then it had better be cheap enough to cover any realistic potential failure. Can you contact the last owner? That's always a good thing to do here, if the records identify them and the dealer is willing to put you in contact.
  4. Effjay

Effjay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting question 'cus I purchased an '01 R1150GS with just 21k total miles less than a month ago (advertised here but I'd already seen the moto). Lately, I seem to be buying older low mileage motos rather than new, which had been my usual for the prior 40 yrs. Mine is in fine overall mechanical condition with very few minor cosmetic warts (hey, I am anal), but 75k miles on the one you are considering would deter me unless priced right and all service records provided.
  5. wario

Oddometer:
    I'll ind out more today...

I'm sure that I'll be be able to get at records if they re available, also access to the PO... If not, then I'm one. But like I said the dealer truly is iron clad. Do dealers offer warranties on bikes this old? I was thinking of making a run at him on this too.

What would be a right price?

Thanks ya'll:thumb
  6. PETDOC

PETDOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some things you should ask:
    1) Were the rear pivot bearings routinely serviced? If not they need to be replaced.
    2) Were the brake hoses changed-when? Rubber lines degrade. I've seen a recommend replacement interval of 7 years.
    3) Was the left sided cam chain tensioner upgraded?
    4) Were the zip ties near the steering head loosened to keep from breaking wires in the harness?
    5) Are these the stock shocks? If so you will need to replace for optimal ride.
    6) Do all bars on the gas gauge appear? Simple fix-clean the electrical connector; more difficult fix-go to Hall of WISDOM
    Parts that have an increased risk of failure--be nice to know if ever replaced:
    1) Clutch slave cylinder/rear input seal
    2) Hall effect sensor
    3) Starter
    4) Rear drive big bearing
    5) Metal attachment of clutch line to slave cylinder-corrodes and wiil leak
    Really nice accessory if available
    1) Touratech hard part to prevent front forks from breaking steering stops and denting tank during a drop
    Places to check for cracks
    1) Lower mount of front shock where it attaches to the telelever suspension
    2) Rear frame part which holds rear seat and extends as short rack-if overloaded it will crack
  7. wario

Oddometer:
    Great info - I appreciate it. :thumb
  8. bikes&guitars

bikes&guitars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM'd you...
  9. Effjay

Effjay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unsure - especially purchased from a dealer. Maybe others have thoughts on that considering stated mileage. Without documented records on service aspects listed by others, I'd want to hold back $$ from "market price" (whatever that is for 11+ yrs old) towards cost of repairs. I probably paid a little too much for mine but at 22k miles now (see new pics in 1150GS thread), it seems unlikely I'll have serious mechanical issues anytime soon.
  10. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    the original rubber brake lines are prone to failure around this year (mine did).
  11. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

After having taken a 2000 model 170.000 km (well over 100.000 miles) I bought a 2001 model 13 month ago, It had a mere 40.000 km on it.
    On the "new" one I have replaced the brake lines, the clutch pump, the output seal from the trans and the input seal in the FD. All these are "typical". For the input to the FD you need a special tool, so bring the FD to a BMW shop and they'll do it for you in minutes. The rest is simple.

We're just back from a 13.000 km trip with a lot of luggage (540 kg gross!) and have covered 40.000 km since I bought it. Fully expect it to last another 50.000 km without major repair.

Or, if you like: I would not hesitate to buy a 75K miles bike if it looks as if it has been taken care of.

[TaSK]
  12. wario

Oddometer:
    cool... I'm finding out more about the bike, and can talk with the owner. It's been fed amsol since birth and is well fitted. Not a bad price either. I also found an 04 with less miles, less farkles, and is less money...
  13. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    The problem with the -04 is that it has a servo pump to power the brakes.
    Works well, and gives awesome stopping power.

However, it is an electrical pump, and it is doomed to fail some day.
    A new one costs in the order of 1500 euro.
    In real terms: If it fails you will end up converting your bike into a non-ABS bike.
    And who would want a non-ABS bike?

For the 1150, the 00-02 models are the best.
    For er 12GS the best ones are the 08-09 models.

[TaSK]
  14. PETDOC

PETDOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your comment about awesome stopping power is almost an understatement. I've put 48,000 miles on my '04 and it has the most incredible brakes I've ever experienced on a motorcycle. Regarding failure of the ABS unit, there is a place in Idaho (http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php) that now repairs them for about $350 and gives a 5 year guarantee. You can search GSpot for some recent threads on repaired units.
  15. tjt94

tjt94 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is my endorsement of Module Master. I have an '01 1150GS. The diagnosis of my ABS problem was the pump was shot and BMW wanted to get one for me for $2200 and charge me $300 to replace. I pulled my own pump, mailed it to Module Master and they repaired it for $250 and gave me the warranty.

They type of failure I had was not typical, it was a circuit board related issue. I live where the summer temps are also above 110 degrees (45 C) and it pushed the life of the electronics beyond their limit. Since the repair I have put almost 10K on the bike without any issue. This included a 7400 mile trip through Mexico into Honduras and back. The ABS worked flawlessly and continues to keep me in happy camper mode.

Other than the ABS issue, I have not experienced any problems whatsoever with my '01. It has 59K on it and will likely see 159K someday.

Incidentally, 01's do not have the problematic servo ABS units. They have ABS-II. They are not without issues but all of these mechanical pumps have a service life and it seems that the ABS-II unit life is somewhere around 15 years give or take a few.
  16. Snowbound

Snowbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2001 1150 GS has about 169,000 miles on it . Still seems strong to me .
  17. mmytacist

mmytacist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow... This is why I'll never sell my bike, even if I eventually purchase another. At 100K miles, I only now just replaced the stock shocks with aftermarket items. Never touched any of the rest of the items in this list. Only time the shop ever did maintenance on my bike was when I couldn't down shift from 2nd to 1st, and it ended up being some adjustment in the shift mechanism (thought it was going to be something deeper in the trans). I have no complaints about handling, performance or other issues. But this makes me feel like one day the damn thing will disintegrate underneath me on the freeway!
  18. PETDOC

PETDOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may want to look at posts#12 &14 on this link http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61887
  19. wario

Oddometer:
    This isn't the bike I started out to buy... but, I hope that it's the one that makes me the happiest! Sometimes karma works that way.

Mrs. DantesDame is a hell of a deal maker and a stand up inmate. Thank You Colleen!

I can't believe that this deal ended up the way it did.

I now have my uniform. where do I report?
    [​IMG]
  20. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it were mine the following routine wear items mentioned by mmytacist would be on my list:
    clutch slave(check and lube bearing at minimum)
    clutch hose
    dump killer rubber brake hoses
    standard lubrication/adjustments
    clean, lube starter

I carry a spare HES and FD bearing/seal. Typically many of the high cost
    repair parts like brake rotors, hoses, mcyl have all been done at 50-60k. Clutch slave seems to last 60k. Lower hose banjo prob rusted.

All mileage is by no means the same. Listen to and ride the beast before reaching any conclusions. Some will be tight at 80k others at 20k over-heated or abused. When considering a mc of this vintage actual documented condition is everything. Deferred maint items add up quick- worth paying $1k-2k for exceptionally well maintained.

Smooth shifting quiet gear box and wheels are always at the top of the list.