Rear spring

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by rossguzzi, Feb 7, 2013.

1. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    I have a 03 Adventure with a white spring on the rear with the numbers 140-255 printed on them. The rear feels a bit too firm. Is this the standard spring for this year bike?
    I have adjusted the remote preload back and on and it seems to not affect it.
    I am 75kg, mabey 80 fully kitted up. Most of my riding is solo so want it a bit more cushy on the rear.
    Cheers.
  2. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    You are a little light for that spring. The code is 140 neutons and 255 mm long. That's about 14 kg/mm, stock for the early ADV's. Later they went to even stronger 150-255 springs. You need to get a heavier girl friend.

The spring preload will not make it softer, it only makes the bike ride lower.

Check your damping settings, back off all the settings about 20%. So, more clicks, more turns, especially the compression settings.

Then you may want to look at a lighter spring.
  3. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have the stock or aftermarket exhausts?
    From my experience from the SE, a stock bike (140 rear spring) rides similarly if akras and a 130 rear spring is fitted.
  4. James Siddall

James Siddall suspension guy

Oddometer:
    We make and sell a 130 Newton spring which we commonly recommend for riders of your weight.
    I think you would prefer it.
    The unique length of the 03 04 Spring at 255mm creates a bit of problem, as we only normally make that spring in 225mm length, but we can space around it.
    Drop us a line if you want more specific details.

Cheers

James