HID Conversion? Sick of blowing low beams

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Gangplank, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    35w or 55w?
  2. ebnelson

ebnelson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my bike with the OneOff low beam HID kit. The light is bright but the projector really isn't right for an HID in my view. I'm not getting flashed by drivers but have worried about being pulled over. I have factory HIDs in my Sprinter van and it's projectors work so much better. Actually, they make sticking HID bulbs in the F800GS halogen projectors look like a total hack.

Anybody try a kit that includes a projector with there F800GS? Something like this http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=927 I read a post on the sprinter-forum site showing adding this type of projector/lamp kit to a van. The resultant light pattern looks as good as the MB OEM system.
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    I'm using a motorvision bulb and already get flashed by drivers... (don't care :lol3) but can't imagine the result with a HID kit
  4. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many inmates have replaced the headlight altogether, and what with?

I noticed today that the standard BMW headlight isn't water proof.

[​IMG]

A water crossing went wrong. I had to drain the headlight...the tank bag....the airbox....my wife.... The chrome shit is peeling off the reflective surfaces of the light. I'd rather replace the whole thing with some big round spots. I think LostGuy (Lostboy, Losttheplot....I can't remember what his tag is) changed his out, but I can't find shit. Stupid search engine thingys...
  5. mylovelyhorse

mylovelyhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently fitted DDM Tuning 55 watt 4500K HIDs to dip and main beam on my 2012 F800GS.

Dipped beam:
    Perfection. Exactly what I want a headlight to deliver. The visible beam pattern is slightly larger than it was but (more importantly) is filled completely with bright, white light. It makes it very easy to see while riding unlit roads. I've not been flashed by any oncoming cars & as the dealer checked the beam adjustment the day after fitting, I'm confident it's good. The other day I was riding in howling rain - visibility was much higher than it previously had been.

Main beam:
    Mixed. Excellent once warmed up but as it takes 3 or 4 seconds to go from lit (which still gives off some light) to full power, the results take a while to appear. They do warm up in regular use so this delay gets smaller but then a good 1/2 hr without using main beam and it's back. Given there is often oncoming traffic on the roads I take, I might not have the main beam on as long as I need for maximum advantage from the HID. Nevertheless, on something like the overnight section of the National Rally, where I'm often alone and on unlit roads for long periods, it'll be just right.

Conclusion:
    Very glad I fitted these. Well worth it. Highly recommended for anyone doing much riding in the dark.

Here are a couple of pictures I took one evening when I stopped at the side of an unlit road. Both are dipped beam.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    I think you mean Lost Rider and his Storm Trooper bike. Here is the link:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675456
  7. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's the one.

Don't think I'll go the single unit though. Need to think about this.

Definitely will not be forking out a Kings ransom for the genuine unit with the quality (or lack there of) of the reflector surface.
  8. Petzl

Petzl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it is expensive, but you get the back cover with the unit so you dont have to drill yours. (in case you want to return it to origional. Very Plug and Play!
    I like mine so far. not too (blue) and the design works well with the reflector, as far as directing the light beam. (IMHO)

Drawbacks. Twalcom only orders a couple of these units at a time from Italy. Mine took 2 months.

Other than that it is working great for me.
  9. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

yeah - i got the same problem, had that 1off low beam for 2 or 3 years now and the projection is horrible but it still lights up more area than the oem high and low beam together so hopefully the guys at 1off will fix the projector sooner than later- im not going to spend another 150+ $ to fix either.........my opinion.
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am truly stumped that you guys think the god looks bad in the stock housing.
    Perhaps there are bad kits and good kits. I have had the 1 off for a few years , and it is fantastic.
  11. ebnelson

ebnelson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The OneOff HID kit throws light down the road for sure. I will keep it over stock halogen for sure. The stock reflector/projector does not keep the light from spilling to the sides and up enough compared to the road legal OEM units I used on four wheels. I haven't had cars flashing me so it can't be all that dangerous to other drivers. If I can put a HID specific projector inside the stock housing having it sealed and with proper connectors I may do it and sell the OneOffMotorsports kit on the marketplace. Otherwise I'll stick to the HID kit solution since I have plenty of projects already.
  12. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    I have the DDM 55w on both. The low beam is good but VERY bright. The high beem is the same so VERY bright and lights up the world (literally).

If I had it to do over again and I probably will redo them with the 35w lights. It would be plenty of light IMHO. :D
  13. VargasD

VargasD Novato

Oddometer:
    Did mine a couple of weeks ago. DDM 35w, 4500K. Replaced the small pilot bulb with a LED 5v. Thing was pretty straight forward. Drilled the holes on the caps, took the fairing off, hooked the lights, tested, worked. Most difficult part was figuring out where to put the ballasts and putting the fairing back on. I totally recommend doing it!
  14. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks like we lost 1 off motorsports cause their site is down
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    They were great to deal with, and mine have been great for the little over a year I have had it.... But they have been having troubles, with their late kits, and perhaps that did them in. They charged enough for it though....
  16. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    now what.................wonder what those new plug in lights are like there selling on sierra bmw now ?