New Style Top Triple for Airhead GS

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by HPMGuy, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    well, this ought to be interesting.
  2. ADVnut

ADVnut Still Looking

Oddometer:

I think from the Nissin brake adapter thread that Guy is out of town until the 28th. No big deal, just don't feel like putting it all back together.

Any of you post 1990 guys put yours together yet?
  3. HPMGuy

HPMGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I missed the boat on this one, I made the poor assumption that the assembly was the same for all of the 100GS's. Obviously this is not the case. I have been talking to AdvNut, and he has been kind enough to ship out his triple, it should be here next week. I will get the dimensions off of his stock triple and machine a new clamp to accept the different stem nut assembly of the mid'90 and earlier models. Stagehand, I can do the same for you. (I think you two are the only ones that purchased a clamp for the "early" models.)

Going forward, I will get the dimensions from AdvNuts triple for the front headlight/gauge mounts and produce a clamp specifically for these models. Untill then, figure that these clamps are for the late '90-'95 models.

Speaking of which, I just got the next batch of clamps back from anodize today:

[​IMG]

This version has changed a bit, it now has ~8mm more grip height on the fork tubes, and 4 pinch bolts. Pricing will increase to $165 (from $150) to cover the additional material costs etc.

I have made a few changed to the prototype bolt on tower to give more tank clearance, and have test fit it on my bike ('93 GSPD) It has considerably more clearance than the weld on tower, with 3+mm at the closest point (top). I hope to have them finished, plated and ready to ship next week.

[​IMG]
  4. ADVnut

ADVnut Still Looking

Oddometer:
    Looks Great!

Us 88-90 guys just have the bastard GS stem setup I guess.

The bolt on tower won't work for us either because of the dust cover #9 in Cigars&Scotch's picture above goes exactly where the pin clamp bolts on. :cry

C'mon Guy! Can't you just whip us up some complete replacement triple clamps top and bottom complete with stem to make us like the later models (but better?)?! :lol3 :rofl

Also-- the headlight gauge mounts may only be an issue for the 88-89 guys with the headlight/speedo buckets. Not to many of those around compared to the later style. Let me know if pics would help.
  5. HPMGuy

HPMGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I am committed to get this setup to work for you early guys. There is a way, and I will figure it out.......

Some pics from the side would be great (like the bolt on tower pic last post) so I can see exactly what the stack of parts looks like on these bikes. (I cannot view the pics posted by Cigars&Scotch, they will not load on my browser.)

How tall is the dust cover? Is it stamped sheet metal, or machined part? Would it be possible to trim the dust cover down to expose the top of the stem where the bolt on tower would mount? On the later models, the lower stem nut (knurled part) is the dust cover also, but only extends down from the top of the stem tube ~2mm, which leaves about 10mm of stem tube to bolt the tower to. If the early dust cover can be modified, or a replacement made.....it looks as though the tower would bolt on without problems. :ear

6. ADVnut

ADVnut Still Looking

Oddometer:
    You got it-- pics a coming.

The dust cover is a chromed stamped steel part. It could be modified. I was thinking it could just be notched, but it covers the entire area where the pin bolts.

Here is the exploded parts view in a more browser friendly format. #9 is the problem.

[​IMG]

Here are some pics from the side. Pardon the mess, I am waiting on some parts. :rofl :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture to help understand the importance of the 2 holes in the upper clamp for the early headlight bucket guys:

[​IMG]

#21 goes into the triple clamp.

Here is a pic of #21. It goes into the headlight/ speedo into the two black rubber grommets as seen below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On my bike the same 2 holes in the triple clamp are used to mount the black metal dash board that hold the IMO and other crap.

Hope that helps. THANKS GUY! :clap
  7. MoMan

MoMan PigPen

Oddometer:
    If needed, I could check availability and send you a new dust cover.

8. HPMGuy

HPMGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics AdvNut!

It looks as thought the dust cover will be easy to modify, (I should have had you send that along with the triple.) I can machine the excess off, then the bolt on tower should work just fine. From the picture, it looks like it will clear your tanks also.

MoMan, that would be great! PM me a price on a half dozen if available. If they are reasonably priced, it would be more economical to modify them, than machine new. I know you have been waiting on a triple, are you the owner of a '88-'90 also?
  9. elmoreman

elmoreman takin' a break, boss

Oddometer:
    Although it isnt as clean as a direct install, you could just bend some flat steel from the hardware store and make some brackets. I had to do that to fit the early headlight shell onto a DR650 top plate. There were some holes already on the DR part. After the brackets were painted black, it is hard to notice the modification.
  10. MoMan

MoMan PigPen

Oddometer:
    No, mine is a '92 but I do have the PD 8.5 gallon steel tank from the earlier models, but that shouldn't be an issue with your triples. I'll check tomorrow and PM you.

11. HPMGuy

HPMGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AdvNut's triple(bottom) arrived today.....and it turns out that it is almost identical to the later model(top).......

[​IMG]

The only difference between the two is the diameter of the stem bore, and the counterbore for the stem nut. So, I will machine the stem bore on the new triple to match the specs of AdvNut's triple, and they will be good to go for the Pre '90 owners.

The spacing and location of the holes used to mount the headlight/speedo assembly on the early models are correct on my new triple, but I will have to machine up some spacers that will move the mount point forward of the leading edge of the clamp. After these simple mods, these clamps will work correctly for all '88-'85 GS models.

Now for the bolt on Scotts tower on the early models.......

MoMan has some dust covers on their way to me, I should see them next week sometime. I will trim them down in height to allow room on the stem to mount the bolt on tower. These will be included with the tower kit for the '90 and earlier GS models.

Here is a pic of the complete setup, including bolt on tower, on my bike:

[​IMG]
  12. Cigars&Scotch

Cigars&Scotch My eyes are up here Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all the guys involved with getting the T/C all set up for us 90 and older owners. :clap:clap:clap

Guy
    Please put me on the list for one of these pre-90 units
  13. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Thanks a Lot! I am looking forward to doing this.

Guy- did you take off the welded pin on yours to get the bolt-on worked out? :ear
  14. HPMGuy

HPMGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yeah, thanks to all for the help in getting through this little hangup!

C&S, You're on the list....I know you also want a bolt on tower kit, so I will contact you when they are ready to ship....I hope next week sometime.
  15. HPMGuy

HPMGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The weld on tower is history.....I had to remove it to do the check fitting of the bolt on tower. And now that it is installed, I think it is every bit as rigid as the weld on........if not more. I really made an effort to make a stout pin mount, and I think the results are better than expected, plus it has considerably more tank clearance vs. the weld on.
  16. ADVnut

ADVnut Still Looking

Oddometer:
    For the 88-90 guys-- I got Guy's updated triple clamp, dust cover, and pin mount yesterday and fitted it all this evening. It works great-- pics to come. :thumb
  17. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Oh, My god! Its the end of May already :baldy

Must... get... off....ass.....
  18. HPMGuy

HPMGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am now an official Scotts Performance dealer, and will be able to offer the entire setup including Triple, Damper, Sub Mount, Pin Mount, and Handlebars in kit form. I will have pricing finalized by this Monday (need to clarify a few things with Scotts), and will post here with some pics of the kits.

So...for all those on the wait list, the complete kits should be able to ship out this coming week. Thanks for your patience.

Glad to hear it went together well AdvNut.....looking forward to the pics!
    folmonty likes this.
  19. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Thats what I was holding off for. I'd rather single source the whole shooting match. Be in touch next week, then I guess.
  20. ADVnut

ADVnut Still Looking

Oddometer:
    Wow! Great to hear that you can now supply an entire package. Sure would have saved me hours of wreckless ebay bidding. :D

Below are some pics of the setup for the early bikes. It was very straight forward and goes together well. I had plenty of room for the bolt on pin tower, which was my main concern.

I did have one little problem with the handlebar unit housings. I could not get them to fit on the bars at all. It was hot as hell out and I tried to force when I should have finessed. I got a big ass screwdriver to try and slightly bend open the housing, but all I succeeded in doing was breaking the cast aluminum housing. Thankfully I learned my lesson on the cheaper left unit. For you early guys: FYI-- the housings are not the same as the later models. They are different, more expensive, and backordered. :rofl

So either file, mill, drill the hole out of both housings to fit over the bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]