VFR Thread, How many of us have 'em?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chad_NC, Feb 5, 2009.

1. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer still social distancing

Oddometer:
    +1 on the recently aquired, gently used yellow 2000, brotha!
  2. Dfrnt

Dfrnt Just pluggin' along

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Slight spider web crack on lid about 2" that you can't see from 3 feet away. Has cutouts for Givi rack. $450 shipped.
  3. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got to say the fuel economy is a little painful after coming off a DL650. The best I've been able to get out of it is 35mpg. Granted I do a lot of short city commuting. Anyone squeak 40 out of a 5th gen?
  4. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    That's probably close to normal for stop and go city commuting, but out on the highways and backroads mileage is much higher. I've seen 50 mpg with mine. Around town I get around 40 mpg.

Check the service manual for mileage issues. Maybe you need to do some maintenance.
  5. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer still social distancing

Oddometer:
    I *could* get well over 40 on the highway, but it is too enticing to keep twisting that throttle!
  6. docwells7

docwells7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Normal is around 40-45 mpg commuting 40 miles of highway per day over the last three weeks. Not crazy with the throttle, but not hyper-miling either. I'm also 250 lbs and carry a top box always.
  7. dino1

dino1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been getting 40 to 47, all freeway, 20 miles one way doing 80, I'll get 210 miles out of 4.35 gallons or so. Hot as hell and I hate leaving the poor bike out in the sun, I really need a 1/2 cover and stash it at work in the parking lot. 2000 with 12,000 miles

Check your thermostat, if it's bad you'll get 30 to 35 due to running rich.
  8. dino1

dino1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the smuggler was yellow I'd sell something to get it....
  9. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 1995 VFR750 and a 2009 DL650.

I love them both. The VFR is like my sports car and the WeeStrom is like an old trusty pickup truck that will do anything that you ask it. recently I was contemplating selling the VFR since I am about to pick up a DR650 for some more agressive DS rides that I would prefer not to take the WeeStrom on. However, after a quick ride I realized that I could not part with the VFR. So I am selling my 2005 Ford Focus instead.

Attached Files:

10. wbsprudels

wbsprudels n00b

Oddometer:
    My 98 VFR has averaged 41 mpg this riding season (~6,000 mostly commuting miles).

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
  11. jcmcc

jcmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    are any of you guys over 40 mpg using a powercommander?

I could barely muster 35 mpg before (delkevic pipe, bmc filter) on the stock fuelling, with the pc3-usb i can now get CLOSE to 40 mpg all highway at 65ish mph.

It runs great but I wonder if I could squeak out a few more mpg during cruising? Anyone wanna reccomend me a map? Im not sure what map the PO has installed on the PC but it does run pretty good

mines a 99
  12. south

south Long timer

Oddometer:
    In addition to the difference in the vertical spacing of the respective fender mounts--Superhawk (closer together) to VFR (wider apart)--the Superhawk mounts are roughly 3/4"-7/8" (19-22 mm) inboard per side. Interestingly, with both the VFR and the Superhawk mounts, the upper and lower mounts on each fork slider are offset from each other by the same distance: 5-6 mm (roughly 3/16"-1/4"), with the upper mounts located inboard of the lower mounts. So, even though they are offset from each other, both the upper and lower mounting points on the Superhawk fork lowers need to be spaced out by exactly the same amount (5-6 mm) to fit the VFR fender, so that kind of simplifies things.

I considered just shimming things out with washers/spacers, but opted to fab up some one-piece brackets instead. So, I picked up a length of 1/2" x 1" 6061 aluminum from my local metal supplier (Alro) for $8 (more than enough material to make several sets of brackets, but it was a "drop", and it was cheaper to buy the length than to pay for a cut; besides I now had extra for when I screwed things up), and got to work. Once I got the things cut, drilled, and tapped with the correct spacing, I went ahead and drilled lightening holes and ended up with the final product.

The GSXR calipers are a direct bolt up, no mods required whatsoever. I understand that F4i calipers--among other options--are a popular choice among Superhawk owners, but, while the mounting holes line up, they require a little material removal for clearancing. The main thing was to get the Superhawk fork lowers installed on the VFR forks, and then there are a number of different caliper options--stock Superhawk, F4i, GSXR, etc. Again, the GSXR calipers do not require any mods whatsoever to bolt them up; however, they do necessitate a master cylinder swap. By contrast, the Superhawk calipers *might* let you get away with the stock VFR MC.

The VFR master cylinder absolutely will not work with the GSXR calipers; the lever goes right to the 'bar while barely moving the caliper pistons--virtually no brakes whatsoever. My first try was a MC from a CBR600RR that I already had lying around--11/16" (17mm) bore vs. the VFR's 1/2" (12+mm) bore. The 600RR MC actually worked OK, and, other than having a slightly taller reservoir, it matched the OEM look nicely. However, the lever action was still a little long and slightly soft for my preference (I single-finger brake, so I'm after about a 3/4" lever stroke to keep the lever off of my fingers still on the 'bar; the 600RR MC yielded about 1 1/4" of lever stroke.). So, I picked up the CBR929RR MC (3/4"--19mm--bore) off ebay, and it gave me exactly what I wanted in terms of performance, if not OEM looks. Fortunately, the 929 MC arrived before I left for Indy, but I fully intended on making the trip with the 600RR MC if the 929 MC didn't arrive in time--which is to say, the 600RR MC is a viable option, IMO; in fact, a number of Superhawk owners who've done the GSXR caliper swap went with an RC51 MC, which is the same bore size as the 600RR MC, only the RC51 MC has a remote reservoir like the 929 MC. If it was me, I'd opt for the 600RR MC over the RC51 unit just for looks alone. But, for a short stroke and firm lever, the 929 MC was/is the ticket.

Attached Files:

13. south

south Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the 1000 miles each way to Indy and back, my '01 did 50mpg if I kept it under 80mph (around 75-78mph). At 80-85mph, it managed mid-40s in mpg. 250 miles between fill-ups was nice; although the 1098 that came along on half the trip required stops every 150-160 miles.
  14. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think i got it in about 5 or 6 business days... not bad!
  15. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    This was taken of me last October IIRC.
    [​IMG]
    WideLoad2 likes this.
  16. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    that looks great
  17. Adventure boy

Adventure boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought one

Attached Files:

18. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    :eek1 :tb
  19. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the fuel economy tips guys. I think I may need to look into this "tune up" that I've been hearing so much about.:lol3 Also I think its also a matter of so much stop and go. I understand that the O2 sensor does not start working until highway conditions are met so I'm running open loop all the time which accounts for a lot. As for the power commander I am not running one and Ive never seen one do anything but hurt fuel mileage, although thats probably due to the mapping software. Ive also found them to hurt reliability.
  20. docwells7

docwells7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is quick! Thanks for the info...:clap