KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same question here 6'3" and I'm pretty far back on seat (no 2 up for me).
  2. norton(kel)

norton(kel) Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also have the sargent seat on my '09 and like others have said best mod to the bike, no question!
  3. Watt-man

Watt-man n00b

Oddometer:
    Sandalscout, I have three new 50 Liter Great Basins in stock. All are yellow. I know Giant Loop sells them for $439, but I have these at $359 each, with free shipping in the US if you're interested. Brand new, and no racks required. Go to my website (below in my sig), click on the 'products' tab and then the 'contact us' tab if you are interested.
  4. Ausfahrt

Ausfahrt Luftkopf

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TPaq1gflAC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:norton
  5. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:

Now you mention it. :lol3

Sandlescout, that probably would have done it for me. I don't know though, I've been going back and forth since I got the bike last fall.

It's kinda funny, I gave up on looking for a KLR and bought the coyote, along with some other stuff, for the XR. Figured I'd just use it for everything. Went on that camping trip with Bronciii one weekend, parts showed up the next monday, guy called me on wednesday with a trade offer. Had the KLR by friday. It still works out though, now the XR is ready for anything. I just would have rather spent that money on the KLR for now.
  6. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can only scratch my head and wonder....why?
  7. jtwest

jtwest Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer:
    I just bought myself a 2007 KLRs and I am trying to do a "go through" repair replace and maintain. I noticed there is no guard over the radiator. Is it supposed to have one? Where would I get a replacement? I can only see one piece (on the bottom front of the radiator) that would hold onto one.
  8. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic of mine. I think that support bar was installed by the po, I'm not too sure. Ignore the cardboard, its in the 20's right now. Figured maybe it would help with temp swings.

[​IMG]

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
  9. jtwest

Oddometer:
    thanks
    yeah..mine has the little clip at the bottom but no grill and no screw holes or screws...are those connected to the plastic or the radiator itself?
  10. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's all connected to the radiator. I'll get some better pics here shortly.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
  11. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Yes. There is a flimsy radiator screen. Ask me how I know it's flimsy!
    Needless to say, another inmate made a steel one for his KLR, and then he made one for mine at my request.
    I never installed it as I'm getting as much use out of the $50 replacement OEM one I installed.
  12. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    all i can say is....WARP SPEED MR SULU.....ENGAGE!
  13. APJ757

APJ757 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm only 5'10 185lbs with a 32" inseam and even I need highway pegs to be comfy 2 up going any kind of distance.
    But as far as the bucket on the seat goes the guy who makes them will put it where you want it.
  14. jtwest

Oddometer:
    I think I see now the plastic is bolted to the radiator but (could) hold a guard as well. Easy fix. Easier than what I noticed happened to the reservoir on the other side. Looks like the bike had been dropped on that side bent the brackets and put a very small unnoticable crack in the res. the PO corrected the problem by not replacing a screw that wouldn't allign.
    Are these reservoirs pressurized?

15. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Coolant overflow tank. No pressure.
  16. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am having a hell of a time getting my throttle cables to work on this bike. The throttle cable setup is different than the 09, and I only have a manual for the 09, so I am working on this on what I think is correct. They are basically the same, but for some reason I just can't get this to work right. The throttle will open the carb, but will not snap back to closed position. I have adjusted the nuts on carb and throttle end several times and can't get it. Any suggestions?? Such a simple procedure and its driving me nuts
  17. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    The cable could be pinched/tight under the gas tank.
  18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Disconnect the closing cable off the carb and see if it closes ok without it.
    If it does, then adjust open cable properly so you have proper adjustment.
    Now reconnect the closing cable and adjust it.The closing cable is for safety in case the return spring on the carb breaks.
  19. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sounds waaay too simple, it must work. Will try it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip :1drink
  20. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tell me how to keep chain adjuster covers moving on my '01.

Silt and fine grit wedge in and bind between the sheet-metal covers and the swingarm. The actual adjusters inside the swingarm stay clear enough. It's easy enough to adjust the chain; turning the nuts pulls the whole assembly along pretty well. But each time I remove the axle, the sheet metal parts are bound about solid.

They fit tight enough -- it doesn't look like I can bend them any tighter and still have them fit on. I use the word silt, because beach sand wouldn't fit. When I clean it all up and reassemble, the covers slide very well.

I'm fishing for someone to tell me of some substance that will keep the grit out. I assemble them dry. Grease would just attract more crap. Anti-sieze may work but it would be messy and would eventually also attract grit. A weak glue may even break free easier than the silt-packed covers.

Anyone else get silt in there?