BMW G450GS & Ohlins fork

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Muecke, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Muecke

Muecke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

does anyone know what kind of fork clamps I have to use for using a Ohlins fork in the BMW G450X?
    Maybe somebody has changed the fork to Ohlins and can write some technicals facts.

I am searching for a Ohlins fork and the clamps for the BMW G450X. Maybe I also need the brake.

Thanks for answering.
    Bye
    Muecke
  2. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    The Ohlins TTX fork kit from Ohlins Sweden comes with new fork clamps and forks so that you can utilize stock front wheel.

However XTrig makes a fork clamp for WP forks and Speedbrain offers a works WP fork for the G450X utilizing the XTrig clamp and still use factory front wheel. BUT you can use KTM WPs or Ohlins/WP fork kits with the Xtrig clamps and you will have to use a KTM front wheel that is re-centered 2-3mm to the brake caliper/rotor side.

So you have many options and perhaps a Mod can move this thread to Thumpers or G450X mega thread, if you go for the later option since WP/Ohlins fork kits are cheaper and easier to find since KTM is so popular, You can also use KTM rear wheels on the G450X without any modifications, however you'll need KTM sprockets and rotors too. This is the exact set-up I have on my G450X
  3. Muecke

Muecke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

mhh. I just got a brandnew rim/tire set in black for the original BMW fork. So I do not want to change the front rim just for a WP fork. I also can get a Xtrig clamp (TE310 etc.) for the top which is around 54mm for the fork. So this should fit a WP fork from 2011/2012 coming from a EXC-F 350. I have an offer for a fork from a KTM EXC-F 350 2011/12.

The brake and the steering-head and the lower clamp of the G450X should fit.
    What did you change? Do you have fotos? I think I have to change the shell/bush on the brake side.
  4. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    It's possible to use BMW wheels on WP forks, you'll need to fabricate a different wheel spacer to both center wheel and orient the rotor correctly, you'll also have to make wheel axle shims to use stock axle on WP forks, but you're going to have to use XTrig triple clamps for WP forks, otherwise any other triple clamp will not have correct center to center measurement for the forks. I would re-tune your stock forks rather then trying to invent a short cut, I've run all options and not sure I would do a WP based conversion again knowing what can be done with stock forks tuning-wise. I already had spare WP forks so buying an XTrig triple clamp at dealer costs made sense at the time along with already having two spare ktm wheel sets