Rowe Electronics Power Distribution Module PDM60: anybody try one?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by John Smallberries, Nov 17, 2010.

1. sweatmark

sweatmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Frustrating to wait, but well worth it, IMHO.

This PDM-60 thing (especially in its new configuration) is exactly what I need for gizmo circuit upgrades.

I'm moving trusty old Centech to tankbag for Autocom and assorted audio gear.
  2. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Update on my PDM60
    I learned that you can't pair a 5 amp output with a 15 amp output to get 20 amps. When I installed my PDM60 last Christmas, I also added a Stebel horn. It worked when I tested it, so all was good. Last week while riding, I saw some deer standing by the roadside. Motorcycles don't like deer, so I laid on the Stebel to scare them away. It worked, but the horn stopped after a few seconds. Later, I realized that I had it wired to one of the PDM60 5 amp outputs. I had read that the Stebel would work fine on 15. As a quick on-the-fly fix, I jumpered a wire between the 5 and 15 amp outputs, expecting to get 20 amps. I hit the horn and it did go a bit longer, but still died. Watching the PDM, the 5 amp circuit led went red, and then the 15. I believe the Stebel actually draws between 15 and 20 amps. I wired in a direct 20 amp fuse to the battery and it will now blow continuously (wear earplugs!)

I believe the PDM did it's job, but my expectation was wrong. When I wired two together, the natural current draw (say it is 16 amps) must split evenly between the PDM outputs: 8 each. Thus trips the 5 amp circuit. The full 16 amp draw then goes to the 15 amp circuit and it blows next.

So - you can't add circuits together unless the split math works. I think that two 15 amps would run a 20 amp load.

It did demonstrate what I like about the PDM. When the horn circuit overloaded, it reset after the next key cycle. So I was able to use the horn again in short bursts afterward. It is nice not to have to monkey with fuse replacements.
  3. SmileyO

SmileyO Sorta n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, the PDM60 v2 is supposedly on site now. I have actually been watching this to see if I wanted to buy it for the second time. But now it's up to $149.00. How in the bejeez did this thing take a year to get out of backorder? I'm a little skeptical about how well this may work if it had this long of a teething issue. Anyone have any good or bad real life info about it?
  4. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Mine has been installed and working since January, no issues.
  5. beemerbum

beemerbum Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello all, been following the thread for awhile, agree totally with comments on supply and demand, but not with all the functionality comments.

I got an early (pre-release) Version 1 kit in the fall of 2010 and installed it on our 1998 R1100R, which is running two sets of 55W H3 light kits, along with GPS, outlerts, etc. So far it has worked perfectly and if anything does trip, it resets after the ignition is turned off and then back on again, unless the 'fault' is continued. The 180 second timeout feature is appreciated - use these circuits for GPS and one set of auxiliary lights. The externally switched circuit is useful for the other set of auxiliary lights and a workaround to the 'always live' aspect can be wired in, as noted in other comments posted here.

I finally (waited since April) have the new V2 kit - some subtle improvements, including better modularity for disconnecting it and moving it out of the way in tight spots, so this one is going on the second F800GS in replacing a Centech AP-1. It will be mounted on tope of the airbox for now - being able to disconnect the main harness and extension harness sections makes moving it out of the way when servicing the air filter really easy.

While the PDM is not perfect in every sense, just eliminating the need for relays, etc., is a big benefit and as both auxiliary light kits on the 800 are LED, draw is low. I have other solid state power distribution systems in use as well, but for size, capacity and services, the PDM is a good deal. Both are being written up for an evaluation.

Cheers, Bruce
  6. rowetech91

rowetech91 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!! I am the technician and tester for the AeroStitch PDM60. I build the units from the board up and have many answers to your questions. My personal email is danh@rowe-electronics.com if you want a question answered. I've been reading a lot of the questions everyone has put on here and i'm glad to see that the PDM60 is coming to life. We just released a REV. 5 version. If anyone has questions just email me. Thanks!
  7. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    I'm coming up on one full year of riding with my PDM60 - the original version. It has worked as advertised and I'm quite happy overall. My only complaint is that the largest single circuit is 15 amps and a Stebel horn (a very common farkle) really, truly needs a 20 amp feed. As a result, I need a separate direct battery connection for my Stebel and it clutters up my wiring. I now have five separate direct battery connects and would prefer fewer:
    - main BMW bike power
    - PDM60 main feed
    - Stebel direct 20-amp fused line
    - battery tender/heated gear
    - Clearwater battery state-of-charge monitor

So: Does the new unit allow for a 20-amp circuit???
  8. sweatmark

Oddometer:
    Ordered my PDM60 v2 as soon as Aerostich confirmed "in stock". They are probably very happy that pains-in-the-a$$ like me will finally stop the pestering calls for status.

Mr. Rowe - where's the user manual for the new unit? I've got my aux electrics setup plan based on the original version, and want to know what's changed and what new options I might have for circuit control and current limits.

My most specific question: which circuit will best serve as supply for 30W HID, which has been running without problems on my low beam's 7.5A fused circuit?

This will be a great rainy winter project.
  9. rowetech91

rowetech91 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey!

Right now this is the Circuit Output Diagram. This tells what each of the 6 circuits can handle. Sweatmark, I believe that any 15 amp circuit should provide power needed to drive your 30W HID light. You can even have it mounted to a external switch on your handlebars and it would work off the 15 amps with no problem. The Rev. 5 manual is 90% complete at the moment. I am installing a PDM60 Rev 5 on a Ducati 1200 Multistrada at the moment and we are taken pictures to insure proper installation for our customers. The Rev 5 unit is basically the same as the previous units but has some minor changes. I hope this answers your questions that you have.

Color - - Circuit/LED - - Max AMP Load - - Switched - - Time Out

Orange - - 6 - - 15 Amps - Ignition - - 180 seconds

Brown - - 5 - - 5 Amps - - Ignition - - Instant Off

Red - - 4 - - 15 Amps - - Ignition - - Instant Off

Yellow - - 3 - - 5 Amps - - Ignition - - Instant Off

Purple - - 2 - - 5 Amps - - Ignition - - 180 Seconds

White - - 1 - - 15 Amps - - Externally Switched - - Instant Off

I couldn't get the formatting to work for this diagram but it should be as follows. 7 lines by 5 columns.
    Thanks, rowetech91
  10. sweatmark

Oddometer:
    Thanks for confirming circuits for latest version.

Here's what I'm planning:
    [​IMG]

I'm using some of my bike's original iABS connections for the PDM60 install, including the 2.5mm (approx 10 gauge) for 12Vdc supply and ground to transmission case. The iABS harness contains a green wire that's switched by ignition as PDM60 trigger.

Please remind me: is the PDM60 external switch blue wire for circuit #1 seeking ground?
  11. rowetech91

rowetech91 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep the external switch using the blue wire for circuit #1 seeks ground.
  12. sweatmark

Oddometer:
    Well, turns out this is all academic... Aerostich says my PDM60 is backordered.

I waited a year for this thing to become available. %$^#!!! Pulled the tank and everything prepared for installation.

<edit> (edit: added appropriate explitive)</edit>
  13. SmileyO

SmileyO Sorta n00b

Oddometer:
    The website shows it in stock though. I had the same run around last year and after months of waiting I said "screw it" and bought a eastern beaver fuse box. The coolest thing about the eastern beaver...it actually is in stock.

Maybe Rowetech can tell us what is the story with all the delays?
  14. sweatmark

Oddometer:
    Finally received the PDM60 v.2, after delay.

Module looks great, more compact than imagined.

Will document the installation when Honey-Do list is satisfied (is it ever, really?) ASAP.
  15. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Great - we need lots of pics of the new module
  16. rowetech91

rowetech91 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys...sorry for the delay. Please let me know what you think and what you might want to change. Email is danh@rowe-electronics.com
  17. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    How about:
    one 20 amp circuit for my Stebel horn?
    Integrated battery tender connection?
    Remote-mounted LED battery voltage monitor option?
    Integrated USB output?
  18. rowetech91

rowetech91 n00b

Oddometer:
    For the Stebel horn two 15A circuits in parallel would generate the required amount of current needed. The newest revision of the PDM60 includes a integrated battery tender connector. With the other two ideas this is something that will be brought to the engineer for consideration.
    Thanks, rowetech
  19. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    I've got both my Stebel horn and heated gear running straight to the battery. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a power module. With this input, I will need to rewire mine as follows
    (2) 15-amp ignition-switched paired to feed the Stebel horn
    (1) 15-amp external-switched to run my heated gear
    (2) 5-amp ignition-switched paired together to feed my Krista aux lights
    (1) 5-amp for GPS

With the integrated battery tender, the next-gen PDM60 would be a cleaner wiring job than I have now.

What happened to the idea of software-configurable current limits?
  20. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
    Just ordered the newest version for my 2009 KTM 990 Adventure... it shipped from Aerostich the same day I ordered it! Really nice, since the last time I tried to order it, I found out they were sold out of the older version and the new version had no ETA at Aerostich. I must have bugged Steve Rowe too much as he stopped responding to my emails :D Sorry, Steve!

Looking forward to finally getting my hands on one!