KTM 950/990 Adv UNDERSEAT TANK

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by rade, Aug 18, 2012.

1. MrSandman818

MrSandman818 INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer:
    If its $300 or less plus shipping then count me in. You only need to sell 50 units at that price if your just looking to offset the cost if each unit is $300. (Of course I'm going on the American dollar and the bike costing 15k American dollars.)
  2. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    If you are counting, I'd be interested in this tank as well.

I think I'll see if the tools will fit in the glove box on top. If so, that problem is solved. Besides, they would be easier to get to there anyway.

If a shallow, narrow tray could be molded into the top of the tank, just big enough to hold tire irons, that might be handy and not cut into the capacity very much.The width of a Motion Pro with the axle wrench on one end would be about right. But those could go elsewhere, like a CJ Designs Tool Box or the skid plate tool box you mentioned.
  3. ondi

ondi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    this has to come when I just chopped my plastic undertail and started cardboard mock up for similar tank but for superenduro. Plan was to make the cardboard one and have my buddy to tig weld one out of aluminium. Now I am thinking just about spliting yours to make room for battery and fuses. some plastic welding and or jbweld. what do you think?
  4. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    Why not redesign the whole subframe and incorporate it (the subframe ) into the whole tank, giving you heaps more room for fuel and less worry of clearance issues. Alot more work and engineering , i know.
    Certain fuels will swell the tanks and cause the plastic's to enlarge .
    This may lead to chopping out, be careful.

Excellant work btw, i hope you get what your after.
  5. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Will you have some way to vent between the sections, to release the air trapped by the frame-relief indentations? so the tank can filled completely?
  6. rade

rade Adventure enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Very good point!!! I have some solution, but still hesitating, if it is the best one cost/saved volume.
    So far I have in plan to into the "square" areas you see on the attrappe, not "T fitting" but "L" fittings collected into one tube, that will be wired under the seat, along the airbox and it will end next to the tripple clapms.

[​IMG]

Do you have any tips - pictures for inspiration?
  7. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    It looks like that routing would take the line below the level of any air pocket, and so be unable to vent?

Maybe better to connect to the rear (highest) chamber? That would solve the filling problem, but might present another problem, that of venting the cap without having gas slosh out while riding rough ground with a full tank.

I'm not helping much, am I. :D
  8. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Can I ask some dumb questions?

Where is filler going to be?

Also will this replace the existing plastic under the seat or will that need to be cut?
  9. MrSandman818

MrSandman818 INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer:
    Yes you can. Haha. :D

10. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Hahaha - I can't even write what I mean. :rofl
  11. KarimADV

KarimADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This could be really interesting, for people like me looking for a small tank to be used in short distance enduro riding: i never found something that fits the needs of my 990 with ABS :)
  12. rade

Oddometer:
    Sorry Karim, but this one wont work for models with ABS:-(
    But if this one project has pay back, I have some ideas about the auxiliary tank for models with ABS. So x-fingers pls :-)
  13. rade

Oddometer:
    The filler placement was under discussion too. You can see the considered options on the pix. The winner is the yellow spot. Itm. it will be under the seat, because:
    - i dont have to solve the lock
    - it will be low, so NOT needed to cut the seat it self
    - more backward would be better because of the air chamber, but you would have to cut the ALU rack and you would have to more the ludgage when refilling...

So the decision is the yellow spot - you have 2-3 days to convice me other way before the final form 3D model is final

[​IMG]
  14. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    make it so you can use a vented cap???? no gas sloshing out, no tubes to run.
  15. Oz Nutter

Oz Nutter Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about those "race type" fillers, zero spillage no?
    I guess you could have a dry break funnel attachment that you stash on bike , be great if it matched up with Rotopac (dimension wise) container mouthpeice for maximum versatilaty...

Hide the filler under false standard cap?/through side?
  16. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  17. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you vent the tank properly, you won't need a filler. It will fill when you add fuel to your main tanks as long as the valves are open. I've had this setup on my Husaberg and it works well and fills quickly...

18. WelshLAMB

WelshLAMB border raider

Oddometer:
    monmouth, hereford and the roads between (UK)
    I assume vent for rear tanks is lower than front tanks fuel level and level in fronttanks higher than rear filler when full. So does petcock have to be turned off until front tanks empty a bit?

I guess there are many raer racks out ther ...many different designs so hard to plan best location on rack. On other hand Unless your globe trotting then most likely need for extra fuel is a long days offroading (low mpg) when its unlikely you have luggage on. Then tank filler in rear rackis the 'cleanest solutio, and being higher than underseat might help with issues above?

Underseat is not so bad.... OH OK I don't know the answer!!

Very nice work though
  19. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    Under seat cap could be a pain if luggage is strapped over seat. I can see manufacturing wise it is the best place.
  20. rade

Oddometer:
    Hmm, sorry, what you mean by "race type" filler? This? Where would you place? It is too deep so it would decrease the tank capacity... [​IMG]

And what is "dry break funnel attachment that you stash on bike" Could you post a picture pls.? (sorry english is not my native...)