King of the Motos 2014

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Chuck Roll, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Simon Slapstick

Simon Slapstick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ultra4 just posted up an update and message from Dave Cole, the 'car' race organizer.

http://ultra4racing.com/the-inside-line/king-of-the-motos-open-letter-to-motos-riders/

:D
  2. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    hung out with Dave Cole quite a bit. he's a good guy, and this race will continue to get bigger and better every year.

"Hammertown" is one hell of a good time, everybody should go out and see the show if they can!
  3. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BAM! I'm in too. Just signed up yesterday.
    Since I heard about the event I though it was really cool, but assumed that it was only for pro invite only people. Turns out that now it's just open to anyone. Just wanted to point that out in case there are others more noobish guys like me that were not sure they could just sign up and take part.

I've been doing too much riding/racing on the 990 and maybe have been out on a dirt bike twice in the last few years, so now I just have to dust off the kids bike and learn how to ride it again!

Looking forward to the pain and good times at KOM.
  4. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    To all racers. Trail Tech is going to have a very good deal on the Voyager GPS for signed up entrants. You will get an email about this when it is all set up.

The Voyager is what I use to lay out the course and it is the easiest GPS to use during the race. And yes, you will need a GPS.

The reason is that we do not mark like a typical race. The GPS aids in finding the right line, hitting the correct waypoints to make sure you stayed on course and most of all to make riders watch out for dangers on their own terms and not expect them to be marked. This is a motorcycle survival race after all.

JIMMY
  5. AZ Air Hd

AZ Air Hd Air heads R 4ever!

Oddometer:
    Taylor Robert will be there again. On KTM now, still #33. Good luck to all & safe rides (rip, K.C. #66)!
  6. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    Can't wait :clap Keep the check ins going :deal
  7. Oilworker

Oilworker n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,

as it happens I invited a good friend and his dad to come and visit the King of the Hammers this year., an event that am again covering for my agency.
    Now Felix, did some further reading and as a enthusiastic offroader with his Enduro and MX bikes he now wants to become the first german, seemingly, to enter the King of the Motos.

There only is a minor problem he is facing, he can't bring his bike over from Germany in time and thus looks for a bike to rent for the event.

I have already asked a few friends in the US, but then remembered this forum which I sofar only have been reading.
    I have asked Felix to sign up here himself, but until then I´ll forward any advice you may have.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Robert
  8. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    I have suggested to some other riders who were worried about scratching their bikes to look on Craigslist and find a $2500-$3000 KTM 2-stroke and race that. I use a 2006 KTM 200 to set up the whole course...
    He could sell it for what he bought it for I'd suspect.
    JIMMY
  9. Ace100

Ace100 Monkeywrencher

Oddometer:
    Jimmy, I keep waiting for someone to set up a trails/desert bike hybrid to run this race but it still seems to be polarized to either one or the other end of the extreme and not a blend. Is this a valid path or does the trials end of things give away too much in the open desert sections?

I've also wondered about how a Christini 2wd bike would fare...
  10. Oilworker

Oilworker n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanx Jimmy,

what would be the best bike to buy form a sale perspective?

And what navigation equipment would be best/recommended?

Thanx,

Robert
  11. Wyobrew

Wyobrew Missed it by that mu

Oddometer:
    If I thought I could, I would...:huh

Having all the right tools makes it seem possible...
    My 300XC with Christini Drive has always made super technical rides more enjoyable to me.

[​IMG]
  12. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946347

here you go
  13. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:

hmmmm.....jimmy, do volunteers get some of the benefits.....:evil
  14. Scotty Breauxman

Scotty Breauxman Baja Breaux

Oddometer:
    Just heard the live streaming coverage will be happnin. Pretty amped these guys know how to cover a damn race. Some other promoters should be taking notes...
  15. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the racer price? Couldn't find it on their website

16. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Call them on the phone. I ordered mine just a few weeks ago. They gave a killer deal. All I had to do was show I was entered in the race.
  17. RobertoGatos

RobertoGatos Go-Go-GatosBros!

Oddometer:
    If your signed up for KOM this year, GatosBros would like to help you out. We're giving away a free set of C-Clamps to any ADV racer who sends me a PM, and can pay 6 bucks for shipping. I was glad to have them on my bike last year, considering you're guaranteed to cartwheel at least once!
  18. Scotty Breauxman

Scotty Breauxman Baja Breaux

Oddometer:
    Graham Jarvis is coming...
    Rumored that Mike Brown, Jacob Argubright and Taylor Robert also

Over 70 entries to date with more piling in. This is a spectator event with lots of spectacle.

[​IMG]

Webb Returns to Defend King of the Motos Crown

January 21, 2014 (Temecula, CA) - Cody Webb, 25, of Watsonville, Calif., will return to the Mojave Desert in Johnson City, California on Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 1-2 to defend his 2013 King of the Motos crown.
    A three-time X Games medalist, Webb, who is also studying mechanical engineering at San Jose State, is a rising star in the sport of extreme enduro-riding.

In 2013, Webb took down British superstar and 2012 King of the Motos (KOM) winner Graham Jarvis in an exciting elbow-to-elbow battle that lasted a grueling five hours. Returning to the roster in 2014, he is considered a favorite to win KOM again.

“KOM is the first race of the year for me,” says Webb, who will contest the Endurocross series, X Games, AMA/NATC Moto-Trials and select endurance races in 2014.

“I want to start the year with a bang and prove to people I’m here to do business. The first step is winning King of Motos and putting some fear in my competitors’ eyes.”

Now in its third year, King of the Motos Presented by Trail Tech, held in conjunction with the weeklong King of the Hammers, is considered North America’s premier extreme-enduro race, combining fast desert racing with technical rock climbing and descending.

For Webb, who comes from a trials and endurocross riding background, King of the Motos is a natural fit for his abilities. His bike handling skills from trials parlay particularly well to the technical rock sections found on the KOM course.

“KOM has some of the nastiest terrain,” says Webb. “It’s super hard to ride, but that’s why they call it the King of the Motos. I enjoy riding the tough stuff, that’s what I excel at. In the U.S., there is nothing comparable, even worldwide there is nothing that compares to it.”

The difficulty of the terrain is exactly why Webb has been all business with his preparation. “Endurance is a huge part of it,” he says. “To practice, I go out by myself and find creeks and anything rocky to push my bike up. It gives me a feel of what it’s going to be like when I race.”

In 2013, more than 30,000 people traveled to Hammertown USA to campout and watch the races live. Located on Means Dry Lake Bed, Hammertown is part of the greater Johnson Valley OHV area and is home to the start/finish of King of the Hammers and King of the Motos. The town is built a week and a half prior to KOH, and disappears off the map only a few short days later.

In 2014, the King of the Motos Presented by Trail Tech will include qualifying on Saturday and a two-part final on Sunday. 2012 KOM winner, Graham Jarvis of the UK, will return to challenge Webb and it is expected to be an epic battle. Jarvis was seemingly unstoppable throughout the 2013 season.

Following the King of Motos final on Sunday, the 2014 Griffin King of Hammers Presented by Nitto will begin on Tuesday, Feb. 4th and conclude with the grand finale race on Friday, Feb. 7th. Both events will air live via webcast. In 2013, over 60,000 viewers watched King of the Motos online. This year’s live webcast will begin at 7:00 am on Sunday, February 2nd. For the first time in 2014, the race will be broadcast on CBS and NBC Sports.

Interested competitors can still sign up at www.ultra4racing.com.
  19. RobertoGatos

RobertoGatos Go-Go-GatosBros!

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a pile of parts for my 125sx, and paid entry fees. Online reg. closes this Friday, but you can also enter on the lakebed (until they run out of number plates).
  20. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    Racers:

If you want a guaranteed shot at qualifying, you need to PRE-ENTER today.

There will be a news release about this soon. We have had a run on last-minute entries and had to make plans a long time ago, so we may cap it.

Enter today and no problems. Wait and who knows?

JIMMY