11 Days in Germany & Austria

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by on2wheels52, Jun 14, 2008.

1. aero84

aero84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Abestos fibre is something special... here as well.

If found in public buildings, it will be replaced by workers in NBC-suits, no matter the cost. Only some weeks ago, they closed a university library over here for that reason.

I don't know how it is handled with private buildings, of course nobody would buy and use this stuff (of course you won't get any in the first place!), but if it is already there I think bobody really cares.
    After all, it is only getting dangerous if the plates are broken and the fibres are set free and can be inhaled. So, as long as you don't touch it everything should be fine.

-------
    Oh, and you would not want to shoot a 98k, these beast kick like a mule. 7.92x57 has a good 1000J more nergy than the 7.62x51, which tends to be to strong to handle for the average amercan soldier I encountered. Always funny when you hand them a G3 ;-)
    Ok, sometimes it'S not so funny, when they break their shoulders. (But young german soldiers are no better, if you learn shooting with a 5.56x45, what can you expect?)
    And the 98 has no automatic consuming recoil, verything goes directly into your shoulder...
    Good weapons though, extremely precise, as Germany always had a resource problem Reichswehr and later Wehrmacht followed a "one shot - one kill" approach to shooting. You can tell by the numbers, german soldiers used only a fraction of cartidges per "hit enemy" than the US.
    The 98k is still in use by the german armed forces, but for protocol use only. The "Wachbataillon beim Bundesministerium der Verteidigung"
    (Guard Battaillon at the Federal Ministry of Defence) still has them. Although 60+ years, most of them are fully functional.
    If you have a chance to see a drill team at a tattoo, keep in mind the boys are conscripts in their 4th to 9th month of service and these guns are heavy, and real (I've been told other states, including the US, use mock guns with lot sof plastic for such events - I have no clue whether this be true or not.) Of course, in case of war or crisis, the Wachbataillon will refer to up to date G36, but after all, these modern things don't look that neat. ;-)
  2. aero84

aero84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One last thing:
    No need to worry about your language skills - even if you were a native speaker you'd have no chance down there. :D

I once had a polish girlfrind and freqently went to Poland consequently, but my polish was strictly limited to allowing me to fill up at a gas station, order a beer and something to eat and, most important, to tell my girl how pretty she was and that I loved her. So that makes exactly five sentences. (No need for more, as she spoke german fluently.)

However, when I was in Poland I understood more than when I was in Bavaria (which everybody claims to be in Germany, at least Bavarians and foreigners, while most Germans would disagree. Completely different culture :D )

Anyway, I really hope you enjoy your stay.
    When you come back to Munich, you HAVE TO visit the BMW museum. And if you're interested in cars, Ingolstadt is just one hours ride, ans Stuttgart maybe two hours.
    And... there is so much still to see... the Eifel, the Ruhr, Saxonia with its beatiful capital Dresden and the river Elbe havind eroded it's canyon in the sand rocks (besides, the czech republic and Prague, the golden city is qite nearby), the baltic shore and ... and... and...
  3. E-man

E-man 4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap Bravo:clap :clap
    Im still blown away at the ability to get up and fly somewhere waaaay aways from home to ride for a time.
    Can you shed some light on the prep you did for this ride? I mean I guess its simple really, rent a bike online, find some hotels, chart a path, take time off work and go. Right?

Awesome report.
  4. aero84

aero84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, E-man, that's Europe.
    Not too far away from civilization. :D
  5. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    aero
    I really did enjoy my stay, maybe that's why this rr is dragging on so long, when it's done the trip will be over.
    re the much more to see, I know I've only scratched the surface. Am working on a return in 2010, expect it to be another Alpine ride. Perhaps the visit after that will get me further north.
    Oh, and I've had several k98's, just none in quite as original condition as those in the museum.

E-man
    It really wasn't that difficult to put together. I did some internet research. Received some great advice and assistance from some forum members who either lived in Europe or had toured there, several were on this board. Perhaps not having an organized agenda helped, it was mainly get to the bike and start riding. And like he said, it is a civilized country. I expect it would be more difficult for someone there to come here and attemp the same thing. Let me know if you're thinking about going, I would be happy to assist.
    Jim
  6. E-man

E-man 4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer:
    I know, I know. My comment sounded weird but its not a few states away, its an entire continent away. thats the amazing part, just get up and go. Plan some first but get up and go:D
  7. JohnyCakes

JohnyCakes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These pics are truly amazing :D
  8. Mimer

Mimer Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    Nice report.

Starting my trip down there (from Sweden) tomorrow. Think I will be in Zell am See tuesday evening or the morning after.

After my trip to Norway last week I was thinking of taking a trip to Nordkapp (North Cape?).
    But after reading your report and checking the weather forecast, Nordkapp can wait :clap
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the awesome pics and detailed report.. :thumb
  10. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very informative and entertaining. Someday I hope to visit the relatives in Ilmitz, Austria and ride the alps myself. Thanks for putting this report together, it helps a lot to get a sense of the people and countryside.
  11. Cooltours

Cooltours Do things right, or leave'em to be done by others

Oddometer:
    As expected, lots of snow still in your pics :-)
    Very nice report and pics!:thumb
  12. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    +1 If you learn German in school (as a second language) you porbably don't understand anything, but at least you can read it....:D

The funny thing is, when I speak english (like all the time) most Germans can tell that I'm from "southern Germany" - wonder why? :rofl
  13. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had no problem qualifying for the Schutzenschnur (Bronze). I had problems at 150 meters for Silver - the longer distances were OK, but the shorter ones gave me trouble. Go figure.

And for the M3 - I consistently shot it at the Gold level. LOVE the M3. :D

Especially when I don't have to pay for the ammo. :D

Then again, I was Air Force - not Army. :evil
  14. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    What Beautiful Country! Absolutely awesome.
  15. Ledge End Hairy

Ledge End Hairy Lost in Space

Oddometer:
    Next year we are planning a trip to Wiesbaden to visit my wifes extended family. Her mother emigrated to the US in the 50's. Maybe I can convince everyone that I should rent a bike and take a spin around Germany :evil

Great reoprt too, thanks!

Cheers, or should I say Chuess (I think thats the spelling :huh )

TBC
  16. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 11 Sunday<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    There was fresh cream for my coffee.
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>

Light rain begins during breakfast. I figured Munich was around 160km away, I was glad I had been edging closer the last few days.

[​IMG]<o:p></o:p>

At 10:00 I am in Winkl-Sonnseite and see something of a parade of uniforms heading into this church. <o:p></o:p>

I fall in at the end. With so many marchers I don’t expect to find room inside for me but there is space to stand in the back. The various units fill ¾ of the pews. I believe it was the day to honor the local Red Cross and other service units. They handed out pamphlets on the way in but they couldn’t be expected to provide English versions. There were a variety of uniforms seated in sections, some very traditional. While walking back from the apse I saw a few of what looked like the little kegs you see on St. Bernard rescue dogs and then a dozen Steyr Mannlicher carbines against the wall. I don’t feel quite so out of place in my rain pants. No choir but a brass band played in the loft. <o:p></o:p>
    There’s time for a final excursion off the highway.

Soon after I am at the border.<o:p></o:p>

Looking back at Austria.<o:p></o:p>

While taking a break I thought I saw a mushroom but it turned out to be higher on the evolution ladder.<o:p></o:p>

The rain varied from almost none to brief showers, mostly there was a heavy drizzle. Nearing Munich I got on the autobahn to get to my german connection’s house. Either the rain increased or the volume and speed of traffic created a wall of spray that I wasn’t prepared for. I saw the indicating ‘ost’ (east, when I knew I needed to go west) for the lane I was in but I was unable to see my way to cross two lanes of traffic. I exited and happened to be on the one back to Neufinsing. I didn’t even need to consult my map to find Karl Maier’s and my nearby pension.

I check in with Christopher, the manager, who generously offers to take me to the airport in the morning. This greatly eases my concern over coordinating returning the bike as early as possible and getting a cab to the airport in time to check in for my 12:30 flight.<o:p></o:p>
    I locate a restaurant for my final supper and again have some english speakers find seats nearby.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>Jim</o:p>
  17. mike-munich

mike-munich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great story and awesome pics ! I'm glad you liked it over here and that I could be of some help.

Looking forward to seeing you in the States next year !

Mike
  18. slashdog

slashdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pics! Just wondering what you thought of the BMW side cases? Anything you didnt like? Have they got any special features? Ive got the 800GS and im trying to decide if its worth forking out for them...
  19. trialsntribulations

trialsntribulations Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, thanks for sharing! As I said before - trip down memory lane for me - miss that country very much!
  20. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re the BMW cases, they are new and improved over the old 650gs cases. Like the old style they expand out (I kept them in that mode) but use an internal lever to move them out instead of having to yank them dragging and screaming to the expanded size. I don't know the volume of the cases on my '01 but but the new ones must be considerably larger. They go on and off easier also, the red lock tab is better of better design. I'm looking at the brochure for the NM specs but it's not written in my language. Could someone translate please?
    Die neuen Vario-Koffer fur die F 800 GS haben rechts ein Volumen von ca. 28-38 Liter und links von ca. 19-29 Liter. Sie sind bequem und schnell mit einer Hand durch das Umlegen eines Bugels verstellbar. Bei kleinem Volumen ist die Breite um 120 mm verringert. 250 Euro (I know what that means).
    Jim