BMW f800gs adventure vs ktm baja

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Joseph42s, May 21, 2013.

1. Joseph42s

Joseph42s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These are new models, although they have been talked about before, I need some help deciding.

1. Ktm dealer 3 miles from me
    2. BMW 35 miles from me

1 ktm cheaper?

Currently I have a 650 Dakar, which is nice, it bottoms out a lot and the suspension is fairly soft, rather than pour money into a 10yr old 66k bike I figure I would just buy something new.

Goal: adv riding.
    In my mind (dreams) 50/50 offroad, reality 70/30 got to ride in California to get places, it's a big state.

Advantage BMW = community, group rides./ training events

Is there anything like this for Ktm?

I can't decide. I dont really want a big bike like the 1200, so this is the last chance to get a 990. The baja just seems like it will be cheaper and better offroad. BMW is more money, but better community. I am a new rider so that is important to me as I can use pointers, and people to ride with. Lastly I am 6' 200lbs.
  2. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    The KTM's specs look really impressive,

I really love riding my F800GS,

Ride them both and see which one you love more,
  3. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    By reputation the KTM is better off road. Another factor is that there is a BMW dealer in almost every capital city in the world. If you get the urge to jump on the bike and head for South America you don't have to worry as much about parts.
    Lastly I will tell you this. I have been on cycles since starting with BSA in 1972. The F800 GS I have now is the best all around bike ever. Dave
    P.S. One problem your going to have with the Adventure is the big windshield. Crashing is a part of the off road experience. That windshield is not going to survive dumping the bike. Think about that if your really going to be 30% off road. I am sticking with my non adventure model. Also note the Adv says it gets 55 mpg at 55. The regular 800 gets 65 mpg per BMW. That kinda offsets the bigger tank. I get around 50 mpg with adv bags and I go faster than 55.
  4. Joseph42s

Joseph42s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good point on the regular vs adv model regarding gas mileage.

The BMW seems more refined, I watched an owner review of the ktm, he said the bike has no fuel gauge, 2 fuel tanks, and some other funky things like really difficult throttle control.

Throttle control and low speed control on my 650 is superb compared to my husky te 310. So much so, that tough spots offloading are almost easier on the GS.
  5. GeeK_InsiDe

GeeK_InsiDe Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer:
    No fuel gauge, I can't believe it, my ex 2004 950 Adv had one...

And yes there are two fuel tanks, that takes 2 seconds to open the second one, not really a problem isn't it?

Gas mileage: You can drive more kilometers with less gas with the BMW than the KTM. The KTM "drinks" at least two liters of gas more than the BMW to drive 100kms.

You can't drive the KTM under 3000rpm, with the 800GS you can drive at 1500... But the KTM has better fork and shock (WP) and they're adjustable.

The 990 has a really bad seat :D.

Go and try these two models! But if I was you, I'll buy a 800GS "non adventure", without too much electronics, just the ABS, maybe put an aftermarket 2 gal gas tank (Oso :D?) if it's important for you and some protection stuff...

I can't see why I would prefer a 800GSA instead of a 800GS... Except for the look but I don't like the look of the GSA :lol3
  6. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a few random thoughts. Sunday, I did a BMW shop ride. One of the bikes was a older model 650 Dakar that had suspension similar to the bikes that won the event back when, another was a 1200 ridden by a very good rider. I am embarrassed by the fact they both smoked my ass.

66,000 miles on a 650, is a lot to for a do over, but I am tempted to find one and modify it, only because it is 75# lighter than my F800 and I will never be as good as the rider on the 1200.
  7. Joseph42s

Joseph42s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which would be better for a beginner type rider?
  8. 3Rrr

3Rrr Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer:
    Neither are dubbed a beginner bike. Being able to use what the bike offers in a trained, learned and wise manner makes it a good bike for you.

Best thing you can do is get specific training for the type of riding you are wanting to do. There are great courses available like RawHyde or Jimmy Lewis for ADV bikes. Then, lots of practice with fellow trained riders who can come along side you and give you pointers.
  9. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    None of the above. The ideal bike for a beginner is a single cylinder, 10 year old street legal dirt bike that you buy for nothing, and sell after beating the hell out of it. Dave
  10. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    <label for="rb_iconid_24">[​IMG]</label>

Couldn't agree more. My friend just bought an old rusty Transalp, perfect to begin dual sporting, it was cheap and its engine is undestructible. Did I say that it was rusty? :lol3 We needed a good 30min to get the rear axle loose.. but that's another story :lol3
  11. Joseph42s

Joseph42s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    True True. I already have that. I guess I should say a beginner but not so beginner bike. Basically I am looking at a new bike to replace my 650 dakar. I am still pretty new, but have been riding again for a couple of years. MY Dakar needs new tires, breaks shocks and the list goes on. And I figure rather than throw a bunch of cash into it i should get a newer bike. Plus I thought maybe it would be safer to have a new set up, newer breaks, systems etc.

12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. D K

D K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm watching to see where this thread goes....

I'm also in the market for a F800GS possibly
  14. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am glad we are entertaining you. If you want to get to the intermediate level of off road travel, you need to fix the suspension. If you want to use the stock gearing while doing intermediate 4 wheel drive roads, you need to address the fueling. If you plan to ride 90% of the time on a paved road, you need to farkle it up with lots of expensive luggage and lights.
  15. D K

D K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Address the fueling? In what way?

16. Pangia

Pangia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems that in your original post you are really interested in community. I think that you will be able to find community where ever you ride no matter what bike you are on. I ride an F800GS and ride with KTMs as well as Hondas and anything else with 2 wheels on it....I have learned a lot from my local community and it is great that you are inspired to do the same.

Pick the bike that you really think will fit you. Fit your riding preferences, your body, your check book...the community will come. I own an F800GS, live in New Mexico and get to ride 50%+ off road (i don't like cars or stop signs). I decided to upgrade suspension and wheels for where I ride...lots of rocks. I could have bought a KTM and saved on upgrades, but I liked the F800GS. The KTM just did not feel like it fit me. I also like the BMW dealer a LOT more in my area.

I am happy with what I have now....not to say that in 5 years I won't change my mind...I might move towards a KTM 690. ( I do miss the torque of my thumpers...)

Get the bike that fits you and then build a circle of riders who you ride with. Good Luck!! Have Fun!! :D:D:D
  17. Pangia

Pangia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I have a friend with one. He says it's snatchy, making the bike hard to ride offroad in situations that require careful throttle modulation.
  19. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW....

I'm by no means an expert on the two, I'm new to the "big dirt/street bike" scene, but have been on a KLR for a while, and on dirt bikes even longer...

My compadre and I just recently purchased bikes within weeks of each other. He the KTM 990 Baja, me the F800 GS (non GSA as it didn't appeal to me).

We finally got together to do a little riding the other day, and swapped bikes around as if they were prostitutes. After riding each others bikes we both came off with an astounding realization of how fastly different they were! We pretty much agreed in all areas, and there was/is no brand loyalty just because we own it.

So I'll lay out what I found to be the comparison. Note that this was under a few hours of tootling 'round riding, not getting after it...

The KTM while a bigger bike is balanced out like a dream. I can see where it would be easier to maneuver in more technical trails than the F8. The F8 feel really top heavy when comparing it to the KTM. I suppose this is due to the way the KTM carried the fuel low, I dunno.

The KTM suspension is very nice. Lets be honest, the F8's forks are a joke for such an expensive bike, and will most likely need to be upgraded in some fashion if you plan on seriously riding it. The KTM seems to be set up pretty nice from the factory, and any upgrades would be limited to very serious riders who really benefit from ultra fine tuning.

The KTM "steers very sharp". I don't really know how to explain this one other than when on the road, I just sorta combine a slight push/pull of the bars with a little lean to navigate corners on the F8. The KTM feels as if all it wants is for you to lean back and forth, almost as if the bars can stay locked in place. It is VERY responsive. I'm not techy enough to say why, if it's a difference in the rake or what that causes this, but very noticible.

The F8 is way more comfortable on the road. We both agreed on that. My friend was actually pretty taken back by just how nice of a ride my F8 was.

Clutch on the KTM feels much nicer.

With the F8 you will get a lot of creature comforts the Baja lacks. KTM seems to put their money in the no frills "meat and potatoes" of what you need, not what you want. If you're looking for dirt performance, I think you'd be hard pressed to not agree that the KTM is king. But if you're realistic with yourself, and realize that neither of these things are really bikes that you can ride like normal dirt bikes, you'll find yourself not wanting to throw all the eggs into the "just how good can it be offroad" basket. At least that's where I found myself. As much as I like to get down in the dirt, I pound the pavement more on trips and commuting, so I have to take that into consideration.

That being said, we both found ourselves admiring each other's machines for their different attributes. I still prefer my F8 at the end of the day, for me, and he did say that he wished he had tried out a BMW before he purchased the Baja. Take that for what it's worth as well.

If you have both within shooting distance, go ride both. You'll instantly feel the differences if you ride them back to back.

Hope some of this helped.

[​IMG]
  20. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both bikes are. I have a Power Controller on mine, and Joey (KTM owner) is an instant fan. He's ordering one for the KTM.

Snatchy throttle can be addressed, you'll find it in both due to how lean these bikes run. There's actually a threadapalooza going on right now in this forum where some great minds are working out tuning solutions for the F8. Solutions that surpass "booster plug" type fixes.

Exciting stuff to watch unfold.