Cleveland National Forest Report

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Mike Mike Motorbike, Aug 19, 2007.

1. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Heads up boys, seems OC Register columnist, David Whiting, has a bone to pick with motos up in CNF. He is an avid hiker and mountain biker and is making it known that CNF is no place for motor vehichles, at least it's how his article in todays OC Register comes across. In fairness he specifically calls out "illegal trail use, dangerous and unnecessary." A couple of quotes from his article, "riding a motorcycle dressed in black with orange piping, might have, um, run into one another." "I waved. He and his buddy didn't wave back. Heck, they didn't even stop. They were breaking the law."

Might want to keep certain riding practices on the down low.

Oh yeah, just mounted some super bright LEDs on my 525, need to carve out some time to join the night time fun again.
  2. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    I just bought that one also. I'll sell it for $3200. :lol3
  3. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    I would like to read the article but I can't OC(rightwing)rag won't let me read it on-line and no one on my street gets it.

Funny thing is a month or so ago I ran into this guy Dave and we were on a small trail. I stopped when I saw there were two hikers coming up the trail so they could continue uphill. He stopped and talked a bit while his partner came up the tail and my buddy was coming down he tried to wave me by but I stopped and said that they had the right of way and we will wait till they were ready to continue, at no point was or did he appear to be upset about us being there. In fact he was happily surprised that we stopped and gave them the right of way.
    It's what we (cycles) should do, but many don't they just race by leaving you in their dust wake. Hell they even do it to other cycles. There have been times where I'm on way up see some guys coming down the hill and blow past me don't bother to wave or give me any hand signals too how many coming behind them, just a nice dusting. Shit.
    Just be nice to others while riding up there thats all and we can all share the Mtn. Have good riding edict and practice it.

:freaky

4. notmybikemodelname

Oddometer:
    Forget about that crap Peter, we'll be on the real shit in the Greenies Friday morning. :freaky :clap
  5. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    well of course he hates on us, hes fucking hiking at 1mph. since when did hikers ever like dirt bike riders. everyone knows you can only ride the good stuff after 10pm.
  6. theGrinch

Oddometer:
    I was and still am a hiker. I have been hiking since I was a kid and always looked up to the motos and wanted to be just like them the ground you can cover is what always appealed to me.

Hate is a big word that too many of us use nowadays.

Respect is what we should use and practice.

I'm gona go ride and see if i can find any hikers I can talk to, or go hit "the luge" and talk to the MTBers about this.

7. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Indeed, and good for you, man. :thumb

A bit of courtesy and a kind word go a long way, and I think it is important to the future of dual sport riding that we go out of our way to be good ambassadors.

I always stop / turn off the motor for people on horseback, there are a few of them around where I live.

By the reaction that I get, it seems they are way more used to loud, self absorbed jerks roaring past them WFO, unfortunately.

It's not like we're riding on a motocross track, we are enjoying public resources and we have no more right to ruin other people's days than they do to throw tacks on the trails and ruin our days.
  8. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm not the type to ride fast past hikers. But it always seems they "dislike" the fact that we ride instead of walk. I'm sure Cnf even more than the other forests.
  9. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    this message is self destructing...
  10. hbmichael

hbmichael Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chill Swill....dude really didnt write anything all that negative. We who ride these trails know the deal. We have respect for all users of this public resource. I know personally that many of us riders have cleaned up trash left behind by less responsible users of the forest. Goodwill will go much further than tirades.
    Make love....not war!
  11. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    fixed
  12. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    What was he doing hiking on a road?
  13. notmybikemodelname

Oddometer:
    Herr and I have talked many times about how many used and discarded mountain bike tubes we've hauled off the mountain and I think most everyone here has seen me pick trash up at four corners and the peak other than my own.

I've always been polite when passing hikers and bikers alike and have slowed down and coasted by at an idle. I always turn my bike off around horses and wait for them to go by.

Butttttttttttt.................can't tell you how many times MBrs and hikers have walked down the middle of the trail and impeded my motion just to spite me.

I'm all for being polite, but fuck with me when I'm being courteous and you will get a face full of dirt when I finally make it around you.

Being civil is a two way street and everyone should give everyone else the benefit of the doubt until proven different.
  14. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    fixed
  15. theGrinch

Oddometer:
    Swill... it's amazing how you can mellow out at the end of a day.

me too.

16. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    I like the face full of dirt part.
  17. KYLEISCOOL

KYLEISCOOL Who

Oddometer:
    Im here just to enjoy the scenery just as everyone else. I just may be Lazier (smarter) and want to get to the top quicker. More time to explore new things. :norton
  18. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Yes, exactly, go hike Or bike 100 miles of trail in a day.....
    I'll take my motorized mountain bike, thank you.

KTM
    King Of the Mountain.

If motorized vehicles bother you, stay off the motorized trails.

There are plenty of those non-motorized trails in the national parks.....
  19. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    How often do you guys ride down on the Palomar end of the forest?
  20. hbmichael

hbmichael Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not often, unless its a tarmac ride which can be pretty bitchin. Im not familiar with any trails there but Im all ears if there are some!

On another note, Ive made a big change....to ORANGE! Man, this bike is bad fuckin ass!

Anybody up for Thor's day night???