Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish y'all would quit talking about the horse video! lol
    I've managed to not look it up this far...

:hide
  2. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bought '13 FJR back in Sep and have already got this question so many times I lost count.
  3. Edgee2004

Edgee2004 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 1977 Yamaha DT400 Enduro. I went riding the other day and everyone commented on my bike, pre-break down. One guy walked up and said "Man I love this bike I had one when I was a kid, it's a Kawasaki right?" I just skipped answering and said yeah I bet it was a blast to ride right? I did not want to make him feel bad by point out that the tank had a big Yamaha sticker on it. :lol3

As mentioned by bike broke and I did get pissed went someone walked by saying "that's not a normal sound!! lol" DAMN..
  4. stockport claret

stockport claret Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First nice warm day this year so took the Bonny out for a run, stopped at a petrol station to put some air in the tyres and a guy walks over. Says "nice day for a ride, that's a good looking bike. It's a Harley isn't it"
    my mind went WTF:fpalm. I shook my head and said no.

Thought he might of managed to read the big Triumph badge on the tank, but no.
    Guy then says "oh, then I've never seen one like that before then"

He smiled wished me a good day and walked off.

Could not help but smile.
  5. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    For some in the US Harley is synonymous with motorcycle so one may be asked 'what type of Harley is that?' meaning what marque is your bike?
  6. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The first time I stoped for gas on my GS450, a old guy comes walking up and asks me what year of triumph is that, I said it was a Suzuki,He then proceeded to tell me that It's a Piece of "Jap Crap" and that I should get a real triumph.:huh
  7. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    True, but Stockport Claret is from ENGLAND. :lol3

So what he experienced is the equivalent of an Alabamian walking up to a guy on a Harley and saying "Nice bike. That's a Triumph, isn't it?"
  8. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
    Took the bike out yesterday for a ride. Stopped in at a local coffee shop (who also makes amazing tomato pie) to get a nice warm cup of coffee.
    Sitting down with all my gear on (including my high vis jacket) kinda gives it away that I'm a rider. As a I sit down and put my helmet on the table some old boy next to me with his wife asks:
    "Watcha riding?"
    "A BMW Gs"
    "Oh" He replies "you know I just read in the papers that they have the worst quality of any bike out there"
    I just shake my head, grab my stuff and move to another table.
  9. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    What, not ready to hear the truth? :evil

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/22/consumer-reports-motorcycle-reliability-report/
  10. steelerider

Oddometer:
  11. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I agree that Japanese bikes are generally more reliable than most other makes, I wouldn't rely on Consumer Reports to make up my mind. Who cares what Consumer Reports says...about anything.
  12. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe but the comment from the old boy wasn't that stupid since this "paper" really exits.
  13. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK...so now that you understand that the old man wasn't wrong saying that he read something about BMW reliability (or lack of), it becomes a "who gives a crap" case?

He thought he was right, you thought he was wrong and now that you realize that he wasn't, it's not important anymore to talk about it?

The fact that the "report" is right or not has nothing to do with the whole story. But it still exists and a man read it and used this to start a conversation.

But hey, he dared to talk against your brand so he didn't deserve you to stay seated near him.

Brand snobism at its best.
  14. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    I probably wouldn't want to sit next to anyone who started a conversation with a stranger by saying " your motorcycle sucks!"

SgtDuster, it sounds like you're the one with the real BMW issues. Does your mommy not let you have one?

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
  15. steelerider

Oddometer:

Oh FFS. Really? I sit down to enjoy a nice meal by myself, and the first thing that some old dude tells me is basically how shit my bike is. Is that brand snobbism? I just decided to quietly pick up my stuff, and move somewhere else, because I really didn't feel like getting into it with some Wierd old stranger. Just like i really don't feel like getting into it with you.
  16. Robert K.

Robert K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was sitting at a gas station with my ZX10 and a Harley pulls up, the passenger looked at my bike and asked, "Why do you ride such a small bike, 1000cc's....thats an awfully small engine".

I just replied "yep".
  17. steelerider

Oddometer:

Right, and you could have answered, "and it will look even smaller as you see me disappear into the distance". Lol.
  18. Robert K.

Robert K. Long timer

Oddometer:

:lol2 For some odd reason I didnt feel like talking to them after that comment. I let it go said have a nice day and left.
  19. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:

Oh, the ignorance about other motorcycles, it burns a little.
  20. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    I rode with a couple last summer her husband promised her a ducati until he saw the prices so he bought her a kaw versys and removed all the decals replaced them with ducati decals:deal not one person asked her if it was a kaw