KTM Service Bulletins / Recalls 1190 Adventure

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by ShawnS, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ShawnS

ShawnS KTM nOOb

Oddometer:
    Hello Inmates.
    Hoping to start a new central thread for posting service bulletins / recalls.

I live in Canada - and KTM seems to be a very small operation here versus Europe with no customer service and limited resources - so there seems to be very little awareness of any issues with the 1190 at dealers here. No one has ever even heard of the air box issue as an example, or the starting issue, or the tank venting issue etc.

Hoping this thread can help those of us in markets where KTM doesn't have much support - so we can leverage the service bulletins / recalls that are happening in other markets. If you have had something recalled or have any documentation on issues KTM is aware of in your country and can post it here it may be helpful to other riders in other places... And give our dealers a place to start.

Thanks in advance for the time to post. :)
  2. Arreola

Arreola Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Shawn. You can verify the information on your bike on the KTM site. You will need the VIN number to access to the recalls and if your dealer has performed any of them.
  3. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Except it doesn't seem to work for bikes delivered by KTM USA. My dealer is unable to supply the required delivery number. Anyone in the USA have this access?
  4. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:

On my purchase check-off sheet there is a Motorcycle Registration ID at the top that works with the VIN for the website. If he can't then maybe KTM USA could get you the # with a VIN reference?
  5. dastick

dastick dastick

Oddometer:
    ^This is the truth! I have been having problems with the fuel delivery cutting out on my new 1190 and am now without my bike for a second time while the dealer tries to figure it out. I have left messages at KTM Canada for a week now with no response whatsoever!!! Mentioned this to the head service guy at the dealership and he said the response they get isn't much better. When I mentioned I had read on here and other sites about people having the same experience, his response was, 'I don't believe anything on the internet'. Guess its going to be a shorter biking season than usual with the brand new bike spending all its time back at the dealership :dunno
  6. ShawnS

ShawnS KTM nOOb

Oddometer:
    Yes - the website doesn't work for me. My dealer ran my vin and there was no recalls flagged - but it seems KTM here has zero staff or customer service - so the official recalls and service bulletins don't even get issued in this small market. That's why I'm hoping other inmates in Europe can take a minute to post what has been communicated for the bike in Europe - so then I can give that to my dealer. It's the same bike everywhere - so why has canada had zero recalls or service flags?
    I've left 15+ messages for KTM canada over 3 months - not one call back.
  7. NoSpam

NoSpam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good lord, that is absolutely unacceptable! I'm guessing an old-fashion letter to the dealership's GM would solve your problem promptly. If not, climb the ladder - everyone has a boss (somewhere in the organization) that gets pissed off when their staff can't resolve client problems and it generates letters & calls to them! :nod
  8. RobZorba

RobZorba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's been two service notification "repairs" on my 2014 1190R, yet neither of them are listed on the KTM web site. One was the "battery cable" replacements, the other was a replacement for the oil filler rubber pipe. Has any inmate found any information on their 1190 bike's service/ recall notifications from the KTM web site?
  9. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That number didn't work for me. Dealer didn't have an answer, but is slowly working on it.
  10. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    The battery cable recall shows up when the dealer uses my VIN number.
  11. ShawnS

ShawnS KTM nOOb

Oddometer:
    Update - I got a call from KTM Canada today after leaving multiple messages over the last 3 months. Apparently they had a massive system issue and have over 500 calls to return. Good news is that KTM is aware of the air box issue and said they have issued a service bulletin to dealers (although I asked at a dealer on Saturday and they didn't know about it) I've got a uni on order - so will bring it in to service as soon as I get the filter and can get an appointment at GP Bikes. I feel better now that I got a call.
  12. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    GP Bikes lead times for service are ridiculous - have you considered Mission Cycle in Angus, Apex in Cambridge or even Ready in Mississauga (though I have no idea how experienced Ready is given that they just became a KTM dealer last year)? I am taking my bike into Mission on Thursday for the 1000km service (plus to diagnose a front head "click" when braking, slight coolant leak after riding and hopefully get some kind of heat shield under my seat - the silver foil stuff I've seen here on other threads). My guys at Mission have told me not to worry one bit about the air filter box - I will have a look inside when it's apart on Thursday to see for myself whether or not there is an actual problem / concern...

13. ShawnS

ShawnS KTM nOOb

Oddometer:
    Hey alongat,
    Nice to see another Ont rider on here. I agree - GP wait times are longgg... And it's jaunt to get there. I do trend to trust them as I bought the bike there and they've been with KTM for a long time. I went to Ready on Saturday to check out the service dept. Nice guy - way way closer to home for me - but I was not left with confidence when they hadn't heard about the air box issue and couldn't estimate how long it would take to check it. I have the same pop and click when braking. Had it fixed at first service but it only stayed fixed for 1 day. There is something that needs to be tightened under the triple clamp. I haven't been to mission or apex - but I will be very very interested to hear your feedback after Thursday - and if you're a happy camper I'll give them a try.
    Btw - I have the grey and with the standard seat with the foil and it was still a ball roaster. I bought the wings seat cooler and it works as advertised - and I just got the power parts ergo seat (have to get the heating wires installed still) but it seems to help too. The heat is manageable now and doesn't bother me.
  14. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I just picked up my "man edition orange with link lettering" on Saturday - bought from mission cycle. I've had many KTMs before but this one is quite different...anyhow, I often ride with two friends, both with grey 1190s so you should join in sometime. I'd love to have a look at the seat sometime if you don't mind. Where are you located? I'm at Bathurst and Eglinton area.

15. motomuppet

motomuppet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day fellas, the pop and click under braking is most likely the steering head bearings. There is a nut under the top triple clamp (undo the top two fork retaining bolts on each fork leg, then remove the nut on top of the triple clamp....remove the top triple clamp and you will see it...it has holes in the sides for a crescent wrench, like you would use to adjust preload on a shock...the one in the tool kit does not fit!?!). Mine has loosened up 5 times in the last 8,000km. First 3 times I took it to the dealer to get them to sort it...next time I did it myself without removing the top triple clamp...just loosened everything up and tightened it down. Last time I removed everything and put some loctite on the retaining nut....hopefully that has fixed it!

There have been some bad front discs around as well. Some with too much fore and aft movement in the floating pins, which could cause the popping feeling, and mine warped after a couple of track days which created a front end shimmy under braking (replaced under warranty). The discs issue seems fairly isolated, but the loosening headstock nut is very common it seems, and ultimately a very simple fix...astounding KTM have not caught on yet!
  16. ShawnS

ShawnS KTM nOOb

Oddometer:
    That sounds great. We're actually not far from each other. I'm by bloor west village. I'm on vaca with the family this week - but will be around in the coming weeks. I'll shoot you a PM when I'm back and we can meet up so you can try the seat and wings seat cooler on mine.
  17. ShawnS

ShawnS KTM nOOb

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the helpful detailed description.
  18. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Be careful "tightening that thing down". This is your bearing pre-load we're playing with and should be set very carefully. If you're unfamiliar with this, perhaps you should let your dealer take care of it.

Improper adjustment can lead to notched bearing races and a very bad handling motorcycle.
  19. rickescazu

rickescazu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was about to post this same thread when i saw yours, but not one is doing what you ask?? I have a 2013 1190 ADV and mine was never entered into KTM's system when the dealer delivered it to me. they finally did that yesterday and when i enter KTM site with my VIN and Delivery ID it says no service done to date and pending TSB and recall. it does not give any info as to what they are only says to contact the dealer. if anyone has any real knowledge or copies of those TSB's and can post them or explain in detail with the TSB number that would be great. i have heard of these but no confirmed>

1. under seat kit for heat reduction on my burt legs
    2. side stand spring and bolts replacement
    3. ECU reflash
    4. issues with steering head bearings
    5. air box issues (i upgraded to the UNI filter from Australia on my nickel)
    6. chain guide excessive wear.

Update
    7. fuel vent issues at gas cap.

thanks all in advance...

Rick
  20. dastick

dastick dastick

Oddometer:
    That's great, I too got a call from them this morning, unfortunately I was not there to take the call, so I called them back and had to leave another message.