right turn etiquette

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Fluklowskli, Oct 10, 2013.

?

Fairness or expediency?

1. Wait your turn in line, rude dog!

2. Bikes are small, cars are big. Life is unfair.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. IronJackWhitton

IronJackWhitton Chasing my Trunk to the next adventure

Oddometer:
    Interesting! I've never seen that before. Before my time perhaps, but I can see how that might work.

We sometimes have a flashing green to indicate it's an advanced green (rather than a green arrow), but they are less common now.

Thanks for clarifying!
  2. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Turning left here and in most countries i have ridden in outside Europe, but the principle is the same....... Expediency rules, not etiquette.

In any case in Thailand, for most intersections the law (for what it is worth here) allows free left turn if it is safe to do so, even if the lights are red....... in other words use your judgment.
  3. Mat

Mat Tosser

Oddometer:
    There, simple isn't it.

Dangerous??? Some of you guys need a diaper change. Seriously. :huh
  4. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I won't do this if the line of waiting cars is longer than three or four, epsecially if there are any turn signals flashing. Just a couple of cars waiting to go straight, yeah, I'll do it if there's plenty of room.

The long row of cars makes me really nervous, because if the light turns green before I get to the front, I'm now in an incredibly dangerous position and have no idea who's coming up behind to turn right on top of me.
  5. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    I did it twice yesterday :*sip*

I am like LuciferMut though, only if there are a handful of cars or less mostly going straight.
  6. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been pulled over by the police TWICE for doing this in the county I live in here in Florida. Both times were several years ago, I don't want to try for a 3rd time.

No tickets, but I thought one cop was going to have a fit - he was livid ! He was stressing the danger factor, as well as the fact that it is illegal to do it.

I admit, it will rub me the wrong way when a CAR does the same thing when I am the lead vehicle, and squeezes by on my right side - no cops seem to find anything wrong with THAT situation. :huh
  7. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that LEOs are trained to perform administrate tasks and many don't study or try to better their understanding of the statutes in their spare time. Most perform their duties based on what they were taught years ago and what they feel is appropriate, rather than what the actual letter of the law dictates.

I'd politely ask for more information about where to find the statute that prohibits this. More likely, I'd go through the statutes myself to find a specific reference proving or disproving the officer's claim.

Often it comes down to someone's interpretation of a vaguely written statute.

On a daily basis I see instances of cars stopping behind a left turner when there is room to pass on the right. Here it is perfectly legal to pass a stopped car on the right. Yet, these sheeple queue up, waiting for the left turner. Infuriatingly, some will make as if they are going around, blocking the path for others, then sit and wait.

I particularly love those control freaks. "I don't feel comfortable doing what seems obvious and correct enough for me to have begun to do, and, I'm not going to let anyone else do it either." Nice.
  8. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    If filtering is legal and normal, it might be dangerous, but acceptable.

If filtering is not legal and/or the norm, it's rude, dangerous, and illegal.
  9. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    while there may be situations that it would be o.k. In the parameters of the O.P. question i assume the rider would be in the same lane as the car.
    in that case it's an a-hole move, wait your turn like everyone else. to those that say they are helping traffic flow, i say bull. if that's the case lets all drive however and wherever we think is best. I can't believe how self important some of you think you are.

oh wait, didn't some riders try that just recently in new york?!
  10. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No some shitheads in New York tried to be shitheads, and they succeeded.
  11. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but a person turning left with a signal IS a different scenario than what was originally posted. :deal
  12. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    In my hometown (in central Massachusetts), there's a "delayed green" at the main intersection (with the sign and everything). :dunno
  13. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    The subtle use of an example as support for the preceding paragraphs is often lost on some people.

Thank you for illustrating this. :deal

The point being that a cop telling you it is against the law probably cannot be depended upon, in and of itself. People (including cops) usually believe what they think makes the most sense, not necessarily what is factual.

You get what you inspect, not what you expect. Look it up for yourself if you want to know for certain.
  14. Prettyboy

Prettyboy I drink and I know things

Oddometer:
    There should be a third option. Why is it just about bikes? In Philly everyone does this in cars too. Just the norm.
  15. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    They have completely disappeared in my part of The Country.
  16. GoUglyEarly

GoUglyEarly Boots Still Clean

Oddometer:
    I've been pulled over, and ticketed, for "unsafe passing."

That being said, traffic laws are written and enforced by and for people with no imagination....and/or people who never read Nietzsche or Machiavelli. :D

If the road was supposed to be like waiting in line at the supermarket, they really screwed up when they wrote the traffic laws.

If the road was supposed to be safe, they really screwed up when they wrote the traffic laws.

If the road was supposed to be efficient at moving volume, they really screwed up when they wrote the traffic laws.

If the traffic laws were intended to be obeyed by drivers, they OBVIOUSLY really screwed up when they wrote the traffic laws.

If the traffic laws were intended to induce violations, generate revenue and employ police officers, they did an outstanding job when they wrote the traffic laws.:deal

For most people, the experience of driving is THE most compelling cause of disrespect for law and for solipsistic behavior. Once you realize this about everyone around you, things really start to make sense, and driving gets a whole lot safer and easier.
  17. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I do it in my truck as well as the bike.

Often, cars will sit behind the straight going traffic, even though there is about 10 feet of space to turn. Rather than wait for the green light, I'll just head on through. About half the time, the car that was waiting will follow me through once they see that there is enough room.

As far as the legality of it: I think it is legal if nobody has their turn signal on. I have been told by traffic school teachers as well as current Highway Patrol officers that it is OK to pass a car blocking traffic as long as you don't leave the "traveled roadway", so just don't drop a tire off the pavement.

If someone has their right turn signal on, passing them on the right would be illegal.
  18. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you want every LEO to strictly follows the laws? No more, no less? :wink:

Be careful with that. I know that inventing a law that doesn't exist is one thing and giving someone a break about a real law if the situation allows it is another. But if you/we really ask the cops to apply the laws by the book, we better don't whine if we get ticketed for "speeding" at 61mph in a 60mph zone.
  19. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In this case, crossing a fog line with a tire wouldtechnically be illegal too, at least in some places.
  20. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    It is OK in Cali as long as you don't leave pavement,

This gets me thinking about another little detail. If car number 1 is turning left blocking traffic, it is OK to go around. What if there is another car behind them waiting to go straight? Something tells me that would be pushing it, and likely get me an "illegal pass" ticket.