Replacement Rims

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by stuza, Jul 13, 2014.

1. stuza

stuza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

I've been told that the OEM rims are a bit weak on the Adventure R and, my front end has now developed a slight "pogo" effect. I'm having them checked today but expect them to come back and tell me, the fronts dented (although I might of course, get lucky!).

Can anyone suggest replacement rims that are an easy swap? Will I need new discs? Also, I would of course like to keep using tubeless.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  2. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Adventure r do you speak of ?
  3. stuza

stuza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I meant the 1190, not the 990 (Although I have heard of one guy fitting 990 aftermarket wheels).
  4. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    My dirt wheels on the bike yesterday ( 1190r) After a fit issue with the new hot off the mill RAD hubs the new design fits great. Did a 2.5" rear rim and a 1.85" front rim. This is a tubed set up
    Pm me an email if you want images
  5. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. stuza

stuza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Most my riding is on rocky/gravel type terrain so guess for puncture repair, really need to stay tubeless.

Orangecicle - Thanks, I'll take a look after work where I can access FB.
  7. 2wdrift

2wdrift Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah this morning doing about 50mph I hit a smallish rock in the road and the front wheel got two smileys and went flat instantly. This is the second time I have bent the front rim on it, I was running it at 3.1bar up front to prevent this but I still got the smiley.

Will ask the insurance how much is the excess on two new rims. Rear also damaged. Might be cheaper for them if I go aftermarket and get harder rims.

If they are willing I will then try and buy back the old hubs, re lace them with the normal hoops and use them for road wheels.
  8. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Uses the rad hubs and excel / dirtstar same as rad just do a three cross up front vs two cross ( call both company's do the leg work and see what they say )

I live 5 mins from woodys they laced mine up

You can do a tubeless set up on this wheel if you want. I like tubes for " off road" due to what happened to 2wdrift.
  9. 2wdrift

2wdrift Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah the best solution would be to have two sets of wheels. Tubed 21 and 18 for offroad, and a 19 and 17 set for road use.

I read somewhere that the rims are too wide to be very strong, so it might be good to go for thinner rims for the offroad setup.
  10. docgonzo

docgonzo Great Old Turtle

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    All KTM 950 SEs came with DD Dirtstar rims. My '06/'07 has 34,000 miles of mostly dirt, and the rims are still straight. Much better then the rims on the Adventures:

http://www.didchain.com/origDirtstar.html