KLIM Badlands Pro

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mrt10x, Feb 20, 2011.

1. DoubleDare

DoubleDare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I guess your sig line says it - masturbatory you are. Not sure I can add much to that.

Does anyone have anything intelligent to add on the topic?
  2. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm not the one who gives a damn about what other people think about how I look in my gear. :dunno
  3. DoubleDare

Oddometer:
    It seems we have now reached two important conclusions in this discussion:

1) I appreciate cleanliness of design, which includes discretion in the placement of logos and brand names; and

2) You are a masturbator.

Regrettably, neither of these conclusions, however true they may be, has much to do with the Klim Badlands suit.

So, can anyone offer any insight into how the Klim Badlands suit might compare with the BMW Rallye3 suit in terms of protection in a road crash?
  4. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Really? Name calling? What are you 12-years old?

The BMW could take a lesson comment was just ignorant. With the exception of the Rallye series, you're hard pressed to find much of any kind of branding ID on BMW equipment.

All I suggested is that if the logo placement and brand awareness of a jacket is important enough for to you to mention it, this may not be the jacket for you, because quite frankly, it's covered in them. Logo and Klim type treatment on the front along side a GoreTex™ type treatment, Klim Logo and type treatment on each shoulder, Klim logo and type treatment on the back with another GoreTex™ type treatment in the center of the back. Klim could take a lesson from BMW on the austerity of branding.

Also, seeing as how the jacket isn't being released until the end of November, it's going to be difficult for the average Joe to make any kind of comparison.

So, how do you feel about the multitude of logo placements and type treatments on the Badlands? :ear
  5. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nobody knows. It has armacor in key areas, so you could compare it to the old BMW Streetguard 1 and 2, BUT armacor tends to be in one layer (To get a proper seal with seamtape) while the Rallye 3 uses ( I think) two layers of 500d Cordura in key areas. When they were making the CE standards for motorcycle suits, they found that two thin layers performed much better than a single thicker layer.

On the other hand, it is entirely possible to crash hard enough to destroy the Gore-tex membrane without significantly damaging the armacor outer (I have an old BMW Tourguard hanging in my closet for that reason). At which point you would have a leaking $900 jacket.
  6. DoubleDare

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you're right. You should probably go tell your mom another boy called you a name.

But before you do, you might want to take the name out of your signature line.

Oh, and maybe stop being such a dick to your fellow inmates?
  7. DoubleDare

Oddometer:
    Keiji,

Thanks for the insight. I guess it's true that nobody knows the full details yet on the Badlands armor.

My crash experience with the Rallye 3 was pretty good (if a crash can be called that), so I'd ordered a replacement.

I canceled the order when I learned about the Badlands, but the d30 armor has me wondering. . . Hard to get clear information to compare.
  8. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW's NP Pads are superior as they pass around 13-15kN when subjected to the EN 1621-1 test, and have a larger coverage area. An 10mm pad of D3o passes around 17kN. The D3o T5 pads are 8mm, so they will pass more unless they have significantly improved the formulation. However, D3o is not as affected by cold temperatures as BMW NP Armor. (Sources)

Then again, not getting wet or having to deal with a soggy jacket is worth a lot too.
  9. dmaxmike

dmaxmike former quadtard.

Oddometer:
    :clap:freaky
  10. MMasz

MMasz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Klim wear looks great. I wish they had more hi-viz options. I’d snag the Latitude in a minute for riding here in S FL.
  11. mxbulldog

mxbulldog Braaaap!

Oddometer:
    My jacket is ordered! Pumped to get this thing.
  12. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    wow,

for being pure noob you really paddled his backside.

Seems to me that Xeraux is one of those who think his never-ending presence here and his gigantic post count mean he can be a complete arse to everyone and anyone. I've been to a whack of ADV rallyes and never met him (that I know) and he may very well be a decent chap worth standing couple rounds of lager for, but in this case, he's extremely masturbatory. And your post was pure genius.

I wish Klim weren't made in China and their armour has, more than once, made me turn away from it. I know Klim are the new face of Rallying and I really, really want to like them, especially with the support they offer to riders we know and love.
  13. DoubleDare

Oddometer:
    That's the thing about the Internet though, isn't it? You never know whether you're dealing with a teenager or a trial lawyer. I'm neither, but you get my point - it doesn't seem like a good place to pick fights randomly.

More than that though, one of the things I love most about the motorcycling community is that when the chips are down, we always have each others backs.

One of the first things I learned about motorcycling is that you never, ever just pass by a fellow motorcyclist who's in distress.

I have no doubt that if Xeraux came upon me and my bike crashed on the side of the road, he'd stop to help me. As I absolutely would do for him.

Given that, I think it makes a lot more sense to use these forums to benefit from each others' expertise and experience than to use them for bashing each other.
  14. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    It looks like limited sizes are availible now on the Klim website in black, no gray yet for the Badlands.
    The Laditude is availible in both Black and Gray in limited sizes as well.
    Just a heads up for anybody thats interested.
    I'm waiting for the Badlands in gray for myself to arrive.
  15. GlobalTech

GlobalTech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My black Badlands jacket and pants arrived today, absolutely faultless in construction and design, plus some nice touches. I obviously need to get out on the bike and see how it will stand up to the UK's wet winter. I have high expectations coming from a Rev-it Cayenne Pro which leaked in the crotch region under heavy rain.

I'm 13.5st / 6ft and went for large and the jacket fits comfy with plenty of room for movement even with layers. The large pants feel big, I'd say more XL by Rev-it sizing.

Being long in the torso, I do like the jacket's length, good back coverage and less need to zip the pants in to keep dry. That was the bug bear with the Cayenne, I always had to zip the jacket/pants together to keep the draft and water out.

Anyhow, enough indoor catwalking......time to put it use....watch this space!
  16. dmaxmike

dmaxmike former quadtard.

Oddometer:
    i just have to ask is there a country of origin tag on there anywhere?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

According to webbikeworld its made in China. I think all of the Klim stuff is from there.
  18. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually the materials for the various products come very different locations across the globe. It very well may be the final assembly is in China but the materials and various what-not's come from all over.
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I am sure the quality is there but I'd be willing to pay a little more if the stuff was made in another asian country or somewhere in Europe. As it is I am on the fence about buying the Klim gear despite it's great design due to made in China.
  20. GlobalTech

GlobalTech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tags say made in China, I'm not put off by this since almost everything is nowadays.

As far as I know there are only a few Chinese factories that are approved to work with Goretex and get the label "Guaranteed to keep you dry"...whatever that means!

I can only compare the Badlands to my old Rev-it Cayenne Pro, even older Belstaff and mate's Aerostich Darien. In all cases the quallity of workmanship and materials looks very good/better. e.g. over stitched stress point etc.

I do have some minor niggles:
    1) The jacket cuffs dont have enough expanding gusset material which means its difficult to get my short gloves (size L-Alpinestars Polatec) under them. The first glove is easier since you have a free hand, but its very tight/awkward when both hands are gloved.
    2) The short connecting zip on the inside of the pants is difficult to attach to the jacket once the pants are on. You have to connect before doing the waist up, although the longer jacket length means you probably dont need to zip them together that often.

I'm also concerned over the ruggedness of the inner mesh material that is used for internal pockets and to the house armour. I understand that its offers great breathability and reduces weight....but will it last?

I still haven't had the opportunity to try it in heavy rain, so can't comment on real world waterproofness..yet!