2014 Alcan5000 announced

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Pantah, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
  2. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check the website and refresh the entry page. Yur in! :freaky
  3. officerleroy

officerleroy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alright! Alright! Alright!

Really hope I don't end up regretting selling my 800GS for a KTM 690... Either way, I'll have a blast even if I have to ride a Ninja 250.
  4. Pantah

Oddometer:
    Nah, its the perfect venue for a 690 (I have one too). If we have lots of mud, you'll be goin' where others are slowin'. If we have rough dirt (those roads change dramatically season to season), your WP suspension and KTM geometry will soak it all up. This particular route favors a smaller bike. Not that it will be technical, because it won't be. It will be fast. But the weather is wild up there. Surfaces change. Mud is always likely. Sometimes, big mud...and babyheads. :D

You won't prefer to be honking the Canol roads full of babyheads and mud on a 600lb motorcycle... unless that is what you are riding... :rofl

Fun, though, no matter what.
  5. officerleroy

Oddometer:
    Eeeeexxxxccccceeeeellllleeeennnnnttttt
    [​IMG]
  6. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Signed with intention of taking the 12 GS but have an xrr 650. If geared properly would the xrr be suitable? What gearing for the speeds and roads?
    I am completely comfortable with the GS off road but still think the Honda could be an awesome experience outside of possibly needing to adjust the valves along the way.

Thoughts from those that know or have experienced would be helpful. Thanks
  7. Pantah

Oddometer:
    The challenge for true dirt bikes is cruise speed. We ride 400-500 miles per day for 9 days. Every day there are 2-3 timed stages that you have to make your start time for. You really need to get there 10 or 20 minutes early so you can get ready and in line. The transits between stages are mostly pavement and long. If your bike can cruise 65-70mph you have no problem. If it is more like 55mph, you will likely struggle to make your starts. I plan to ride my Yamaha WR250R, but it easily cruises 65-70mph all day.

As an example, the club indicates small trailbikes like the Suz DRZ400 are not very good for the task. In my experience, even KTM singles are generally pretty slow between stages. Meanwhile, KLR and BMW 650's with stock gearing have been the gold standard.
  8. officerleroy

Oddometer:
    Not the 690?? What was all that one in a million talk??
  9. Pantah

Oddometer:
    The Yamaha is already out west. I keep it on Phoenix. Plus it has the big gas tank. But you are right in that it seems a shame to ride those great roads with only 25hp when I could do them with 66hp...I don't have to decide right now. :deal
  10. Stinky151

Stinky151 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the final detail for the KLR for this trip...my Rekluse clutch...looks like I will have the only KLR there so I guess I better put on a good show huh?
  11. officerleroy

Oddometer:
    Speaking of the big gas tank, it seems like you're in the know Pantah, any rumblings that they may allow rotopax? I saw their post on the yahoo board and it kinda crushed my hopes.
  12. Pantah

Oddometer:
    Nothing official, but Jerry said they are revisiting Rotopax because they are inexpensive, time tested and have proven mounting systems we can purchase. They have good experience using them in cars as well. I think they'll tell us after the first of the year. My guess is Rotopax will be allowed. That makes it a lot easier decision to ride my 690 if they do. They recognize that spending over $1k for a fuel tank solution for one event is a stretch.
  13. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    I am just east of Kirkland WA here in Duvall , would be happy to help anyone in most anyway . I know it is a ways out , just thought I would make the offer .
  14. Pantah

Oddometer:
    Looks like today is the last day the Rainier Auto Sports Club will guarantee starters, so if you got 'em fax 'em. After today they will begin a standby list to be given spots as entry's cancel. As of last night they have 15 cars and 49 motorcyclists.

http://www.alcan5000.com/2014entry.htm

Interesting; 11 singles, 9 TBA and the rest twins.

Look down the list of past winners. There's a few Unsers, Dallenbachs and Kraushaar's. A fun event with a great history.

This one's for you, Ned...:devildog
    [​IMG]
  15. Pantah

Oddometer:

Hello Tork - Thanks for the offer. I sent a PM
  16. The Rat

The Rat trust me!

Oddometer:
    OK, still a long way off...but.... I'm registered with my HP2 Enduro, fully capable with some extra fuel packs... Here's the question, without any thought of being competitive, the goal would be completing the rally... What are the thoughts on doing it on a 2012 Ural. Here's my thought process, easy to wrench on, pretty darn rugged, different AND under warranty! May even be able to get Ural to help with tires and such. It will cruise 55-60 all day long, I know that will be pushing hitting the timed stages, but over all completing 5k, what are the thoughts?
  17. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    I think it would be a struggle on the Ural. Some days are pretty long, 600+ miles. Plus the gas mileage is kind of crappy. I had a 2005 Patrol and one time into a big headwind, I ran out of gas w/ less than 100 miles on a tankful.
  18. djones745

djones745 they call me lawndart for a reason...

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys- I got confirmation that I'm in with a couple guys from Chicago area! This is going to be a blast- I'm 99% sure that my street legal WR450 will not be the weapon of choice (curse you Yamaha!- no 6th gear!) :ddog

I've never done an event like this but figure I've got 20 mos to figure it out and hopefully shakedown a different ride :clap
  19. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I'm in for 2014.

Planning on riding my R12GS if it's back from South America by then and doesn't have a gazillion miles on before the Alcan start.

Can't wait!
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Started a purpose build of a bike for this....20 months to go :pynd

I'm very surprised of all the talk of riding smaller bikes.....go big :thumb