Ride and Fly KTM - Almost

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by SUVslayer, Feb 8, 2011.

1. SUVslayer

SUVslayer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick report, as the saga continues.
    Bought an '04 KTM 950 Adventure off an inmate here, made the deal, sent the money and a couple weeks later flew to Phoenix to ride it home. Everything went smoothly, mounted up and started out.

Bike ran well, took a little while to get used to the height of the bike (I'm 5'10) but had a good time off roading it. Compared to my R100GSPD, the KTM is a monster. In the dirt the rear wheel does not want to stop spinning, and the bike is very composed. Had a good day.

Stayed overnight at Lake Havasu City, visited some redneck bars and slept in a super cheap, super smelly motel room. All good.

Somewhere on the CA/AZ border:
    [​IMG]

Started out the next day after a hearty b'fast. Made it to Joshua tree, where I stopped by the side of the road. Went to start it up - and nothing. Dead. Dead dead dead. Checked the ground, checked connections, zip zero no power. Long story short and a very expensive tow home (250 miles!!), I think the problem is a bad battery. Just got the replacement, haven't installed it yet.

Stranded!
    [​IMG]

I just hope this is one anomoly and doesn't taint my overall experience. Already, this bike has gone from a reasonably good deal on a stock, well maintained 950 to a bad one. :cry Maybe I should have stuck with the old GS pig afterall!!
  2. 2laneblacktop

2laneblacktop Tarmac

Oddometer:
    Nah, it'll be fine KTMs are pretty solid bikes
  3. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. Keep checking connections elsewhere if the battery isn't at fault. I like your method of getting both high and low fenders home without strapping one to the rear.
  4. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    Probably something simple like that dont let it worry you to much. I also went from a GSPD to a KTM Adventure. Nice up grade your gonna Love It..
  5. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i guess a 950 twin is pretty hard to bump start by yourself,on a flat gravel road.Brings a new meaning to the term....that sinking feeling huh?Could it be a starter problem?I have had a string of no starts that seemed like a power problem but was actually the starter on my gspd.
  6. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:
    If it is the battery, don't put in a cheapy like a Batteries+. I've been through a couple like that. Splurge for a Yuasa. Also, they get abused here in AZ with the heat from the pavement and their proximity to the motor.

If you would have had Progressive Insurance, your tow would have been free.

Let us know how it goes.

ps - Good choice in starting off with the slower color. :lol3
  7. Clrblu22

Clrblu22 Flyn' Floatn' Ridn'

Oddometer:
    slayer-

don’t sweat the battery, if that’s the problem - we’ve all had those issues before.

PS - Great looking bike - I love the stealth look.
  8. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Hope you got it sorted out Slayer. If not PM ASAP and I'll come up to have a look. I know a little about 950s, even though I don't have one. :cry
  9. SUVslayer

SUVslayer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies, all. I'm trying not to feel jaded, I know it's a good upgrade. But it's hard - I've gone from 2 decrepit bikes to three. :cry And yes, best I start with the slow black one. Move up one step at a time, no? :1drink

I did get the bike home, and did spluge on a yuasa the other night. I haven't installed it yet to know if that's the problem, but I'm hopeful.

And it was a blast in the desert, before it crapped out. Can't wait to spend more time in the dirt. Only planned farkles at this point are crash bars and bash plate. I'll need them.

Cheers!
  10. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    It should have a kicker. That would be cool. Not much of a RR?
  11. SUVslayer

SUVslayer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know. Kinda an ignominious start to a new relationship.:puke1