F800gs

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by westy1717, Dec 6, 2012.

1. westy1717

westy1717 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

Im stumped.

I started looking for a new or new to me bike a couple months ago and originally had a budget of "about" $3500.

The budgets changed multiple times - but started looking at Honda XR650L's and then Kawasaki KLR's and then KTM's and now 800GS. (My budgets change frequently with vehicle purchases)

I really like the looks of the 800GS and, to be honest, would use it probably 85/15 (hiway/gravel roads).

I know there may be bikes more suited to 85/15 - but my question is more about the reliability of the 800GS.

Im looking at a 09 800GS with approx 19,000 kms which is apparently like new... TBD

The bike is still under BMW factory warrantly until 4/13.

Questions is:

What should I look for on this model/year? (besides the obvious - I've had bikes before).

What are the common issues with this model?

Any insight is appreciated!
  2. westy1717

westy1717 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If anyone can report with a high mileage 800GS - Id really like to hear their take on it.
  3. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Welcome n00b.

There's tons of stuff here you can read up on. Sounds like the kijiji bike north of Toronto. Seems like a good deal.

Everyone will tell you something different and in a flash will turn into a suspension upgrade fest or it's crap because......

My 09 has been fantastic, 45k kms now. If it's a one owner with all the history then great. Look for a cracked fuel tank (see threads) and a valve cover oil leak (old type gasket). Get these all fixed under warranty and check all recalls have been done. Steering bearings have been an issue on some but again, warranty. Rims bend easy so check them. Not warranty but they bend back easy too.

If you do buy it then you'll have a winter's worth of reading here.

Enjoy.
  4. Kiwi Tinkerer

Kiwi Tinkerer Ross

Oddometer:
    I have an 08 model with 95,000km on it. Ex rental.
    It runs sweet. I have had it a couple of months. few decent rides. Absolutely no issues.
    I love it.

Fro purely road use and light gravel, I would recommend r1200gs (Which I have owned)

But both great bikes.

There are plenty of bikes to choose from and each has it's loyal followers.

None are bad.
  5. westy1717

westy1717 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome n00b.

There's tons of stuff here you can read up on. Sounds like the kijiji bike north of Toronto. Seems like a good deal.

Everyone will tell you something different and in a flash will turn into a suspension upgrade fest or it's crap because......

My 09 has been fantastic, 45k kms now. If it's a one owner with all the history then great. Look for a cracked fuel tank (see threads) and a valve cover oil leak (old type gasket). Get these all fixed under warranty and check all recalls have been done. Steering bearings have been an issue on some but again, warranty. Rims bend easy so check them. Not warranty but they bend back easy too.

If you do buy it then you'll have a winter's worth of reading here.

Enjoy.

Thanks Reaver - appreciate it

Right proximity..

I'll get done under warranty where needed.. are fuel tank, valve cover leak and steering bearings all normally covered under the warranty with or without a little bitching?

Id be the 3rd owner at 19K so a little concerned about that - but was resold at BMW and apparently all paperwork supposedly in hand. Ill prob test drive and then stop in at dealer with vin to get service history confirmed.

Bent rim(s) other than obvious visual would vibrate on test drive I assume? - Apparently it hasn't been off road at all.

Anything else I should look for?
  6. westy1717

westy1717 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kiwi -

Appreciate the feedback on yours. Nice to see someones still running at 95k!!!

I really like the 1200 - but to be honest way to much bike to enjoy on a daily basis. Im 6'1 220lbs so its not so much a weight/size issue - theres just to much. Kind of like driving a car in my opinion - which is great under the right circumstances.

Should have pointed out - my 85% would be 15% touring / 70% short (30kms) commuting.
  7. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Don't be concerned about being the 3rd owner of something. you still have the warranty so no problem at all. The 2009 model was a very good year. They started to but leds on the turn signals and they fixed the fiew issues they had with the 2008 models (chain and fuel pump), which were fixed under warranty anyway.

Except from doing some offroad stuff I don't see how the rims could bend so don't worry much about that. If it has a centerstand you can always make the wheels turn to see if you notice some change.

Soon somebody will suggest you the F658 Twin for your little commuting and your little offroad that is planned. It's a great alternative but chose the one that will make you smile everytime you look at it and the one you'll be able to put a great deal on :eek:). Since you're buying the bike from a BMW dealer there shouldn't be any problems. When they get a new bike they check it before selling it.

I bought a 2010 model last summer, and like you I'm not the first owner but it is still under warranty until 2013. It had 6000kms on it when I bought it back in june and now it has 21000kms. I love it and never looked back.

And to be honest I searched for month for a 2009 model because I wanted everything the 2010 had but in a yellow color scheme :eek:)

let us know how it turns out and welcome to the asylum!

Cheers,

Loutre - Tom
  8. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    The fuel tank cracking happens far less in Canada for some reason but is still a known problem. The valve cover leak happenend to ALL the bikes which prompted a redesign. Both these issues should be easy enough to resolve. The steering bearings were an issue to a TO guy here. Mine were probably the same but I didn't care. He was able to get three sets changed at a Toronto area Dealer under warranty where I never considered it possible so never asked.

We just replaced our 658 (slang for the 650gs twin with an 800 engine) that my GF wrote off 6 wks ago now. We're the 4th owners in 20K. I was confident because it had the full Dealer history behind it and with BMW's, sometimes the owners work their way up with new bikes a lot. It had been ridden gently by a newish mature rider, traded in, then bought by a guy that had second thoughts about it for over a year (added less than 2k kms to it), then sold it to another iffy rider. We bought it all accessorized already and was too good a deal to pass up.

Are you buying it certified? Is the BMW Dealer doing it? When you're checking the VIN with the Dealer, ask about the warranty history. They can tell you the claims and recalls already done.

As a general inspection item, I always look at the steering stops for damage or repair. Seen a few that were suspect before.

I think you're a bit tall for a 658. An 800/658 is the same riding position while moving but feels small when stopped. I'm a bit short for my 800 but fine when loaded up. I've spent a lot of time on an R1200GS which are nice but more money still. My 800 came pre-destroyed as a test bike so it was cheap and I pretend I beat it up cause I'm a "Gnarly Adventurer" like everyone else here. :lol3
  9. westy1717

westy1717 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks Reaver.

I'm actually heading out in a couple hours to have a look/ride. Its being sold certified - by the current owner - not BMW - not sure I made it clear in an earlier post when I said it was re-sold by BMW - I meant BMW sold it new, took it back as a trade and then sold it to the current owner.

Ill be stopping by the dealer after looking at it to have a look at the full service / warranty history.

When you say "He was able to get three sets changed at a Toronto area Dealer" - this obviously implies that the issue wasn't correct by simply replacing the bearings. Is there not a permanent fix for this?

Westy
  10. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    The reason for three sets of steering bearings was inconclusive. Suspected that crap bearings were replaced by crap bearings etc. I just replaced mine this fall myself and used the "Best" bearings that Canadian Bearings sold which were SKF at ~ $32 ea. There's a big thread here on that also.

I meant that if a corner garage certified the bike they may not be as thorough. Done at a BMW Dealer they may spend a lot more time on it. That's all.

Good Luck.
  11. westy1717

westy1717 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a look and ride today. Nice bike. Was surprised to see it did not have abs - but dont care either way - figure its one less thing that can go wrong with it.

All service records in place - all manuals etc..

Going to call Budds tomorrow to find out a little more history on it.

Will say - the more I read, the more I get concerned about the bearing issues..

One other question - what does an oil change cost at a BMW dealer on these bikes and what is the recommended change interval?

Thanks again guys.
  12. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:

Ever hear of internet noise?

the "problems" get amplified by 2 things complainers and speculators,

there are many more bikes with ZERO problems
  13. westy1717

westy1717 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed - and noted.

Ill post back when I pick up the bike!