1993 KLX front brake rotor

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Kawi-Mike, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Kawi-Mike

Kawi-Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anybody help me find a front brake rotor for a 1993 KLX 650. Can't seem to locate one on eBay that will actually fit. The Kawasaki shop can't locate one either. If anyone has a used one please let me know. Thanks
  2. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Kawi-Mike

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will check right now.
  4. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
  5. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which model KLX650 do you have? The C model rotor is larger than the R model. They will bolt up on the wheel. but the caliper boss on the fork dictates whether it will work or not. The R version is 262mm and will bolt up to KLX 250/300 and KDX 500. I do not know what size rotors they use, but might be a source.

The C version is 280mm. Perhaps there is an oversize rotor for one of the others that match.
  6. Kawi-Mike

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. cyclebrakes.net had it at good price. I have the C1 and really like it but from what I am finding out parts are a little harder to find than they are for my KLR 650.
  7. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an entire front end off of a '93 KX250- can you use any part of it? I'll be happy to sell you the entire thing for what I have in it- $50 and whatever it may be to get it to you.

[​IMG]
  8. Kawi-Mike

Oddometer:
    That is a great deal. If this rotor is not the correct one I will be contacting you. Thanks
  9. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It won't be the right diameter but it will bolt up. A rotor for the C model is turning out to be a rare bird.

Others that bolt up are 94-96 KLX300, 94-2002 KX250/KX500, but all are 262mm in diameter. Your brake pads will overlap the rotor. Some of these have aftermarket sumo rotors, but most are over 300mm. That will work if you want to move your caliper. Another option might be to call a place like EBC, first to varify they do not have one and secondly to ask if they could make one.

Join this site: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KLX650/messages

Maybe some one there can help. There is also a dedicated KLX thread in thumpers here on ADV, you will get more response.http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159970
  10. Kawi-Mike

Oddometer:
    Valley Kawasaki in Harrisonburg, Va. came thru. They found one and It will be delivered next week. I highly recommend those guys. Thanks again everyone!
  11. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    What did they charge you? I understand OEM is $314. I found an aftermarket EBC rotor that is supposed to fit this model for $92. The EBC part number is MD6086D.
  12. Kawi-Mike

Oddometer:
    They found me a EBC FOR $85 plus shipping. I thought that was fair. Rick in parts there has always been a big help.
  13. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is good. Lots of parts have dried up in the last 2 years. Luckily there are a few parts from other bikes that fit.

I love mine. 678cc, 5 gal Aceribis tank, Showa adjustable shock. Handles well and hauls the mail
  14. Kawi-Mike

Oddometer:
    I really like the one I have. Seems to have more torque than my 08 KLR . Also has acerbis on it. Valley Kawasaki had it in the shed forever and one day I ask if it was for sale and I was surprised at the price. Has 20k on it and I figured I would get it to leave down in NC for when I visit family. My brother wants to buy it but as I said I really like it.