Change to LED Signals

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HeadinSouth, Jan 6, 2012.

1. HeadinSouth

HeadinSouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did a search and couldnt find anything. My answer is probably buried in another thread.

Anyone switch to aftermarket LED signals and what was the outcome? I know from my passed experience on my DRZ the LEDs flashed much faster.

Thanks in advance.
  2. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    LEDs flash faster because there's less resistance... You can fix that with a flasher relay, it's pretty simple.

LED signals work fine on this bike, you just have to use the right relay if you want it to work properly.

If you need to find the relay, Highway Dirt Bikes has it, and some nice LED signals too.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I put the BMW OEM LED turn signals, plug and play.

Remember, on newer GS's, they terminate with an OEM molex type connector, so if you're using aftermarket turn signals you might have to cut those off or get a OEM conversion kit.
  4. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am also interested in the OEM LED signals. Are they that much brighter than the bulbs?? GH
  5. SportFaller

SportFaller Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer:
    I love my LED BMW signals, plugged straight in! cant find a pic right now....
  6. xxxshiftxxx

xxxshiftxxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are some plug and play ones...

http://www.weiserstore.com/bmw/dual-sport/f800gs.html
  7. GB

Oddometer:
    There are 2 large LED's that are super bright.. you can't judge how bright with a picture.

Had those on a previous bike.. in daytime, I would say they are barely on par with stock incandescent bulbs.
  8. dualsportride

dualsportride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My local bike shop had resistors for 5 buck that you wire in very easy, and it will slow down the flashing. That way you can put any type of led light you want on your bike.
  9. GB

Oddometer:
    Not necessarily true, because if the power consumption is too low or too high for the ZFE parameters, you will get a LampF (fault) on the LCD display and that circuit will be shut down.
  10. Ronin ADV

Ronin ADV Gear addict

Oddometer:
    I recently changed to the HDB signals. I purchased the Flash Killer relays to slow down the rate but found that they were not needed and the lights worked just fine without them. Details coming soon in another build thread. :evil

Dan
  11. puckinet

puckinet Safety third

Oddometer:
    BMW and touratech has a resistor in the LED so you would be able to install no issues, if you use others without a resister and replace all four you need a soild state flasher, SAR (sick ass racing )has them pretty cheap. If you only replace 2 of your turn signals with LED you have no problem with the OEM flasher
  12. Spinalcracker

Spinalcracker former redriderofma

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have a part number or link for the BMW LED turn signals ?
  13. GB

Oddometer:
    A&S Cycles has them on their online store, or check Max's microfiche...

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=56161

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 11px; font-weight: bold; background-color: #666; color: #fff;"><td style="width: 17px; border-top: solid 1px #666; border-bottom: solid 1px #666; border-right: solid 1px #666;" align="center">#</td><td style="width: 75px; border: solid 1px #666;" align="center">Part Number</td><td style="width: 285px; border: solid 1px #666;" align="left"> Description</td><td style="width: 30px; border: solid 1px #666; cursor: help;" title="Weight in Pounds" align="center">lb</td><td style="width: 35px; border: solid 1px #666; cursor: help;" title="This is the recomended quantity. Price is for each one. Once you click on BUY, you will be able to specify how many items you want to add to your cart. 'X' means as necessary (could also be length in meters)." align="center">Qty[​IMG]</td><td style="border: solid 1px #666;" align="center">Each</td></tr><tr style="vertical-align: middle; font-family: Arial; font-size: 11px; background-color: #ccc;"><td style="width: 17px;" align="center">01</td><td style="width: 75px; border-left: solid 1px #666; font-weight: bold;" align="left"> 63137708048</td><td style="width: 285px; border-left: solid 1px #666; font-family: Arial Narrow;" align="left"> LED FLASHER</td><td style="width: 30px; border-left: solid 1px #666;" align="right">0.11 </td><td style="width: 35px; border-left: solid 1px #666;" align="right">2 </td><td style="border-left: solid 1px #666; width: 70px;" align="right">$58.00[​IMG]</td></tr><tr style="vertical-align: middle; font-family: Arial; font-size: 11px; background-color: #f9f9f9;"><td style="width: 17px;" align="center">02</td><td style="width: 75px; border-left: solid 1px #666; font-weight: bold;" align="left"> 63237710574</td><td style="width: 285px; border-left: solid 1px #666; font-family: Arial Narrow;" align="left"> LED TURN SIGNAL, BRACKET, LONG, REAR</td><td style="width: 30px; border-left: solid 1px #666;" align="right">0.11 </td><td style="width: 35px; border-left: solid 1px #666;" align="right">2 </td><td style="border-left: solid 1px #666; width: 70px;" align="right">$58.00[​IMG]</td></tr><tr style="vertical-align: middle; font-family: Arial; font-size: 11px; background-color: #ccc;"><td style="width: 17px;" align="center">03</td><td style="width: 75px; border-left: solid 1px #666; font-weight: bold;" align="left"> 11117653180</td><td style="width: 285px; border-left: solid 1px #666; font-family: Arial Narrow;" align="left"> FILLISTER HEAD SCREW - M6X20</td><td style="width: 30px; border-left: solid 1px #666;" align="right">0.02 </td><td style="width: 35px; border-left: solid 1px #666;" align="right">4 </td><td style="border-left: solid 1px #666; width: 70px;" align="right">$1.40[​IMG]</td></tr><tr style="vertical-align: middle; font-family: Arial; font-size: 11px; background-color: #f9f9f9;"><td style="width: 17px;" align="center">04</td><td style="width: 75px; border-left: solid 1px #666; font-weight: bold;" align="left"> 07129904871</td><td style="width: 285px; border-left: solid 1px #666; font-family: Arial Narrow;" align="left"> HEX NUT - M6-8-ZNS3</td><td style="width: 30px; border-left: solid 1px #666;" align="right">
    </td><td style="width: 35px; border-left: solid 1px #666;" align="right">2 </td><td style="border-left: solid 1px #666; width: 70px;" align="right">$1.42[​IMG]</td></tr><tr style="vertical-align: middle; font-family: Arial; font-size: 11px; background-color: #ccc;"><td style="width: 17px;" align="center">05</td><td style="width: 75px; border-left: solid 1px #666; font-weight: bold;" align="left"> 51127070202</td><td style="width: 285px; border-left: solid 1px #666; font-family: Arial Narrow;" align="left"> CLIP NUT - M6-ZNS3</td><td style="width: 30px; border-left: solid 1px #666;" align="right">
    </td><td style="width: 35px; border-left: solid 1px #666;" align="right">2 </td><td style="border-left: solid 1px #666; width: 70px;" align="right">$1.16[​IMG]</td></tr></tbody></table>
  14. BcDano

BcDano One Lucky Dude

Oddometer:
  15. Ronin ADV

Ronin ADV Gear addict

Oddometer:
    Just another twist on this discussion. I have switched my OEM blinkers to Highway Dirt Bike LED's and interestingly if you change all four then the blinking rate is normal, but if you leave two of the OEM incandescent lights, the rate is very high. The problem comes in that even though the rate is OK with the 4 LED's, the computer still displays an error code. Unlike on most bikes, on the F800GS the flasher relay is integral to the computer and therefore you cannot simply add an aftermarket flasher relay (as mentioned above) as there is no place to put it. In addition to this I tried to use Wunderlich "Flash Killers". This is a series resistor that is supposed to be wired into a pair of blinkers to increase the resistance and fool the system into thinking that its still running incandescent bulbs. Good idea, unfortunately I couldn't get them to work and by wiring in either one or two of these, the blink rate still increases and you still get the error code. I am currently planning on just running the LED's and living with the error code but it is a bit frustrating and I'm still looking for a solution.
  16. PenultimateMan

PenultimateMan Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    I've noticed LED signals in quite a few pictures of the F8 in different threads here, and it seems that people are running a number of different models on the bike, both OEM and aftermarket. My question is this: do any of the aftermarket options offer flexible stems? The OEM stalks look terribly long, and I'm not chuffed about the possibility of breaking one off if I lay the bike down.

Does anyone have LED signals with flexible stems? Are they plug-and-play? Do they fit well into the sockets on the F8's fairing?
  17. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    I have the OEM ones and as you I was worried about them whilst falling down. Anyway they don't reach the ground and are an improvement over conventional ones.
  18. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Uhhhh, how come no one's chimed in and said "You can reprogram the ZFE for LED turn signals so there's no error code or flash rate problems using the BMW MOSS computer"?

Just sayin.
  19. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    oh what would we do without you Reaver :lol3
  20. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:

Well I'm glad SOMEONE appreciates me. Even if you did add the mocking smiley face. I usually just shut up, as judged by the join date and odd o meter. Happy 100!!!

When setting up a bike during PDI you can select things like tire pressure displayed in Bars or PSI, C or F temp, miles or kms BC, alarm tone options etc. You can also select "retrofit" options like if the customer wants to add an OEM alarm, RDC, and fancy LED's. The ZFE just wants to please you but if you don't tell it what you're doing then it's just going to cry "Wolf". It's sooooo misunderstood. Luckily MOSS has a therapy for that.

Just bring coffee next time you're at the Dealers and ask nice. As a separate item they'd likely charge but if it's in for service or you just spent a pile on factory farkles then go for the free thing.