Kayaks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by BCC, Jun 10, 2013.

1. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I sail on the Chesapeake and on days there's not much wind or when we're gunkholing, we want kayaks to explore and exercise.

SO just bought an Eddyline Skylark and being me, I'll probably buy something too sporty for my current meager skill level.

I'm fit, 6'3"/202lbs and if I'm rational, I'm thinking plastic 14-17 foot transitional kayak, but could be talked into anything in a $1000-$2300 price range.

Going to lash them to either the lifelines or foredeck of the sailboat and use them a lot, I figure.

Folks here into these things?

I love all things water and I'm excited about adding a new way to be afloat and active.
  2. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    Did you search the forum for "kayak"? :evil
  3. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
  4. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you ever get down my way stop by this showroom: www.clcboats.com

I can carry my 17' kayak in one hand. It might weigh 35 pounds. Once you get used to hauling one of these around you never want to deal with plastic again.

This one is very light, very narrow, very stiff and very fast. It isn't one you want to gunk hole in, they have others for that, but it is a fun work out.

[​IMG]
  5. rudi

rudi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a Cape Charles. Nice fast, light boat. I built 3. I also hate epoxy.
  6. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    I can't remember what it is called. It was the first plans they sold back when that shop first went into business. These days their precut kits are the way to go. They go together with a lot less work and a lot less epoxy.
  7. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I appreciate all the advice and comments.

Grreatdog, that is a thing of beauty!

I have neither the skills or the time to build a kit. I travel for work a ton. And my hobbies take up my spare time.

Since I'm going to be lashing the kayak to a 41 foot sailboat I'm thinking light plastic is the way to go.

Right now I'm considering either an Eddyline 14' or 15.5' from a local shop in Rock Hall Md. Going to look at them this weekend.
  8. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Our local kayak dealer has an open house and test day every spring. Its great to get to test out a bunch of boats all in one place. See if you can find something like that where you are. It makes picking a boat a lot easier.
  9. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    That Journey 15.5 looks like a nice boat. It is surprisingly light weight for a plastic boat. To me, longer is better. So, given the light weight of those boats, I would go 15.5 if you have room to store it.

I really like that Shasta 16 on their web site. For Chesapeake Bay combination fishing, cruising, gear hauling and dog hauling I dig open kayaks like my old open top Wilderness Systems Pamilico.

That Eddyline undercuts the weight of a Wilderness Systems Pamlico like mine by over 20 pounds. That really is impressive. I could carry more pooch - and beer. :lol3

[​IMG]
  10. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pygmy does the pre-cut kits
  11. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    So, I took your advice between the two boats and bought the 15.5 foot Eddyline Journey.

I got it from Chester River Kayak Adventures in Rock Hall, Md. I mention this, because I was really happy with the service the owner and his wife gave me.

I demo'd both boats and he offered lots of advice. We talked bicycles and other sports and he watched me paddle. He thought the longer kayak was better suited to my liking moving along at a fair clip in most things. After choosing the Journey, he delivered in down to my boat. Great price. Friendly service.

I've spent the last 2.5 hours paddling. This thing will move. And with the drop skreg half down, tracks easily. I think I'll be happy with my choice.

No lower body exercise of course and not that much cardio, but I don't mind. It was fun, relaxing and i can certainly feel i worked my shoulders and arms.

I'm off for a run in a few minutes. Then probably nap time.:lol3

Going on a bigger paddle tomorrow.
  12. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    :clap I picked up a Riot Edge last year and love it... Hope you get lots of use from your new time.
  13. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    If you like kayaks you still owe yourself a visit to Chesapeake Light Craft should you ever find your way down here. Drop me a pm and I will meet you in Ego Alley or the Weems Creek anchorage and haul you over there. If you are a sail boater, don't blame me if you leave with an Eastport pram in tow.
  14. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    To bad we don't live closer. I'd build you the kayak if you bought the stuff. I've always wanted to build one.
  15. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:
    Never a truer statement made. I wonder how many people had been discouraged with kayaking by going the cheaper plastic route and then realizing how heavy these things are and how that impacts performance.

We started with Necky Looksha 17' each weighing about 65#. The schlepp to get them on the car's roof top and then carry them down to the water just became too arduous and we used them less and less.

I then came across a Epic 16x weighing about 40#. That I can put on the roof top by myself. Performance is far superior and all in all just a much better experience. I also bought an Epic GPX (12') and this also out performs the longer Necky plastic boats.

The end result was that I spent twice what I needed to spend by listening to the sales people where I bought the Necky's, but now I have these two high performing (still stable) composite boats.

I am now looking at the Epic V6 which is a hybrid surf-ski/touring kayak. It is sit on top like a surf ski, but has some carrying capacity in a hatch. It has the same hull as the 16x. Not good for expeditions, but I am past the stage in my life where I want to climb Mt Everest.

16. gugnheim

gugnheim On the DL...

Oddometer:
    CLC is really cool. About to drop an order for a stand up paddle board from them.
  17. gremor

gremor RS'er

Oddometer:
    I got this about a year ago from Dicks Sporting Goods, under $300.

Added some rod holders for fishing, kids and adults are able to get around in it easy.

[​IMG]
  18. warriorcole

warriorcole n00b sch00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

New toy.
  19. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:
    How peculiar is that?
  20. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:
    Also, I have a Dagger Halifax 17 I'd kind of like to sell. It's plastic and in pretty good shape. It'll haul anything and everything too. 70 pounds though. PM me if you're interested.