MITAS E-07 vs PIRELLI SCORPIONS

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Boredsurfer, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone ridden both and can compare? Any input welcome - thnx!
  2. David37

David37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM Sent
  3. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden Scorpions, but from my experience with Mitas E-07 i will say - if you are leaning more toward offroad (gravel roads, etc), then definately Mitas, if onroad (wet asphalt), definately Pirelli. I would say Mitas E-07 is better on non-asphalt than Heidenau K-60. For mileage I believe Mitas is better too (have done 15000km with rear E-07 on KTM 950SE) - but be aware, very little grip on wet asphalt!
  4. Boredsurfer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that feedback. I had head that they were better than the Heidenau K60's in every respect, but I was surprised to hear about the wet tarmac grip part. Good thing I live in SoCal - it never rains :)

I was speaking to the Canadian Mitas distributor yesterday who said he is trying to get better shipping options to the U.S. - I suggested he should find a way to secure the distribution rights for all of the U.S. too and he said that was a great idea and he would get to work on it :)

He thinks he should have more inventory and better shipping options squared away in a month. He also said that the "DAKAR" version (with the stiffer sidewall) wasn't worth the extra expense in his opinion, but that he will be getting the DAKAR version in a 21-inch at that time too. The difference in price is negligible between the 2, so why not just have the extra reassurance?

I just hope Mitas doesn't start playing games with pricing.... Even with the Canadian shipping surcharge, I was quoted less than the K60's. More to follow I'm sure....
  5. Boredsurfer

Oddometer:
    No other opinions? I guess there's a tire thread I missed.
  6. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon

The Mitas looks the part and more!
    I got to meet Colin with MX1Canada.com, the Canadian Mitas distributor, while at the Vancouver bike show. The Mitas Tires are really good looking with more opening between the blocks than a K60 and the dakar carcass is soooooo stiff, I can sit on top of the unmounted tire, and it doesn't collapse. Surely that has to count for something on loaded down big twins, touring offroad. The tread patterns are big and blocky too. Sure wanted to bring home a set to run on my 950!
  7. Boredsurfer

Oddometer:
    I waas quoted $250 U.S. shipped to my door in Los Angeles (for a pair of E-07's ((non Dakar)) in 990 sizes). Less than K60's or Scorpions from an unnamed U.S. distributor. The only thing holding me back is figuring out how much On-Road performance I would be giving up if I ran the E-07's?

C'mon, surely someone here has ran the Mitas tire on a 990.
  8. codys

codys Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I say go for it and report back. :D It doesn't look like a real road worthy risk. Everyone seems to love the k60's for everything including road and that mitas looks more roadworthy than it. I'd run it for a long pave /dirt tour. :deal
  9. edzt

edzt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aw dude sort them toenails out:D
  10. ColoradoBigfoot

ColoradoBigfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    edzt...that's funny!
  11. codys

codys Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer:
    Thanks god that was a cut and paste from some other adv thread. :lol3 Got to keep my reputation honorable on here....

Bump for OP.

Cody
  12. GZERO

GZERO Fixing stuff around

Oddometer:
    From this thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722554

And i said:

"Mitas Enduro Rear E-07 Size: 150/70R-18 Rated at 190 Km/h

I love this tire, and like all tires like this have compromises.
    At first when you put it on it slides a lot (i love that lol :rofl), then when it wears out a little it starts behaving better. On a unloaded bike (my Adventure 950 and i weight 150lbs) in the rain it slides a little as well, but if i have a passenger i am able to pull a wheelie so it does grabs in the wet.
    In the dry, well is a tire that has capabilities to scratch the foot pegs on the floor, nothing more to say.
    It did developed a few cracks but it was driven on rocky passes hard, did many wheelies but as of now is around 7.000 kms old and is right in the last 25% of thread left.
    Always carried the tire full of air, never aired them down.
    Off road is light years ahead of the MT90, but is not and enduro tire, but i think i found the perfect tire for this bike and me.

The price was about right at around 130$ which is really cheap here in Venezuela where the prices are usually twice that of the states.

Bottom line: for the price you get a good durability, ability to scratch the foot pegs, decent handling in the wet and GOOD handling off road.

Is it the perfect tire off road? No, but it does it pretty well.
    Is it the perfect tire on road? No, but it does it pretty well.
    Is a tire with 50/50 off road/on road, but it does the dirt a little better.

I tried it in sand, mud, dirt, gravel and rocks, it did all of them pretty decent."
  13. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    Iam going to get a pair of the Mitas E-07 from MX1canada this mounth. They look great.
  14. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's one of the best "do it all" tires you can get for 950/990. It's truly decent for every conditions and even more. I didn't like front though, I think you are better off with some more off-road oriented front to catch up with E-07 rear. E-07 front will probably last forever but it lacks too much offroad grip for my taste. I used E-07 rear in combination with some Dunlop front (MT-18? - I don't remember) and liked it alot.