XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    The finished product? The original looked great!

Thanks for the link, and all the positive reviews on here!

We were just talking about that bike not too long ago. Some here might be able to dual sport them, but not me.
    The rally "kit" is rumored to run around $10,000. That's just the kit, not the entire bike!:eek1
  2. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    and you personally delivered 6USMC6's KTM! :D

Virginia is the same way but you can get a dealer to dual sport a brand new dirt bike and get the proper paper work to tag it. You may want to look into that option with your local dealer.
  3. dcparks

dcparks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cheers for the collective wisdom. will go with the 650r css, lube the shaft, get it on tight, and keep an eye on it for now. and save my pennies.

Thanks for the invite, purpledrake, will look you up next time i head down that way, and let me know if you make it up this way.
  4. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    As the sprocket slowly grinds down the countershaft splines it produces a fine metallic dust. The increased surface area of these small particles accelerates oxidation, and produces a powdery rust which is usually visible on both the countershaft sprocket and the countershaft itself. This powdery rust is very different from the usual rust one sees on the drive chain, or other areas of the motorcycle.

Therefore, before installing the countershaft sprocket, it is wise to lubricate the countershaft itself with grease. This grease helps to reduce the grinding friction; it also helps to prevent oxidiation, which might further accelerate the damage to the countershaft splines.

Spud :beer
  5. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the risk of offending the gurus here, may I ask what chain everyone uses these days?

The reason I ask is that nowadays we have t rings, o rings and now x rings. I have 2 Crf450s hence my confusion :)

Since my xr is a 2000 model I grew up using o ring chains. But which chain do I use nowadays ?
  6. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    :clap Yeah man! That's pretty cool, if I go back to the vector, vapor or voyager I might just do something like that :deal. I had to put the OEM dash back on for my tour here but like you said, its cool to have everything in one unit instead of spread all over.

-Barron
  7. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    So... how's things at Yokusuka? Zama is the one place from a 21 year career that I genuinely miss. Good times!
  8. WMD

WMD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took my big red pig to Highland Park Ga this wknd. After getting well versed on the single-trac I decided to try the moto course.
    2nd pic is a 30' step-down...I'm still puckered.

This thing takes off like the space shuttle and lands like the Titanic. :eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    If you are going to keep that up, you need to think about reworking your suspension:lol3. Perhaps pick up a spare frame when you see one for cheap:eek1
  10. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet Steve and CW know this engine better than any shop. An average shop my tear into one deeply every year or two, and is it even totes same mechanic?
  12. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome Spud!
  13. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spud those bikes need very frequent air filter, and oil service intervals. Otherwise the motors live in dog years. Synthetic oil too!
  14. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I do....and its a nice feeling :D Getting older aint as bad as I thought it would be :lol3

I try :wink: I"m so glad I got back into dualsporting.....honestly I was getting bored with strictly street riding. Plus you guys here are awesome :thumb

I think getting older gracefully, with a little spirituality added in, has kept us on a good path :nod
  15. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

I'll bet ya a dollar to a donut that you have cooked the piston. I bought a basket case XRL some years ago that the PO blew due to long wheelies. Oil starved the pump and that's all she wrote for that motor.
  16. Sierra Thumper

Oddometer:
    I agree....the pictures alone have cleared my soul a little...gorgeous :thumb:thumb
    I'm so inspired by them, I'm warming up the garage and bike with space heaters, to do an early morning oil change on the xrl. Been putting it off.....too cold, but Walter has inspired me :evil :D
  17. Sierra Thumper

Oddometer:
    The XRR sprocket will fit way back on the shaft and use the good area of splines you still have, similar to what you've done now, but better imo. I know it looks bad, but if you get a new retainer plate to go along with the xrr sprocket.....it should be a nice tight fit even with the damaged splines.
    As you can see, the stock sprocket only uses part of the splines anyway....and you made it this far. You might be able to get quite a bit more life out of that shaft yet with a new retainer and XRR front sprocket using the remaining good splines :thumb

I've read of several guys who put XRR sprockets on severly damaged shafts they thought were hopeless....and ran the bikes that way for a long time. In fact I don't remember reading any posts on them saying they ever pulled the engine apart to replace the shaft.
    I think one guy even had pictures worse than yours. I believe one was on TT, and maybe one here? Or both TT?
  18. Sierra Thumper

Oddometer:
    If you decide to go ahead and fix it now, I would have CW work his magic on it like Walter suggested, if you can afford it. You'll have a bike you'll never want to get rid of then....all the L needs to make it perfect imo is CW's engine work. Give this machine KTM power with its reliability and simplicity....and you'll have one hell of a dual sport :evil
    My bike will eventually meet CW :nod
  19. ltcole

ltcole Herpetologist

Oddometer:
    New to this XRL thing, here is my question for the all knowing.

Should the bike jump a little when shifted between the gears, the clutch fully depressed and standing still? Not a big jump, but you can tell it has itchy feet and feels like it wants to get going. How do I know when the clutch needs replaced?

I have an 07 with 5700 miles, and when I bought it at 4400 the PO had the clutch adjustment way too tight in my opinion. There was no free play, which made it not even any fun to ride because you didn't have any control besides full out clutch. :huh

I am constantly trying to learn as much as I can about these bikes because I want mine to last as long as possible, and you guys seem to be in the know. :D

Thanks ahead of time for any advice/suggestions.
  20. Sierra Thumper

Oddometer:
    Spud isn't steering you wrong, I listened to his excellent advice and picked up a Moose 15 tooth XRR sprocket to put on my bike with 11,800 miles on it, the moose sprocket went on with some grease and a big socket over it and a few taps with my rubber mallet.....super easy. When I changed to a 14 tooth Moose front it went on just as easy. And the sprocket is ROCK solid. Spud documented thousands of miles of riding with the XRR sprockets and he completely stopped the cs wear.