Accessory Socket to USB

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by dr..jones, May 25, 2011.

1. dr..jones

dr..jones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello inmates!

I'm trying to find a male BMW Accessory plug with a female USB port on the other end. Already checked Powerlet, they have an option that would work, but requires an adapter and is much larger than it needs to be.

I figured... If it exists, someone here would have heard or seen one.

Any thoughts?
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    NaMi likes this.
  3. nhspirit

nhspirit Just Ride

Oddometer:
  4. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
  5. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    +1 on BurnsMoto, I have the SAE connector to female USB and it works great. I chose the SAE connector because all my bikes have a charger pigtail (SAE) so I can move it from bike to bike... not all of them have a BMW power plug.
  6. Trout

Trout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. dr..jones

dr..jones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great advice guys! Thanks.

Also, I got an email back from Powerlet today saying that they are working on the exact adapter I described, it's just not quite ready.

Here's hoping!
  8. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
  9. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Burns moto $24.99 vs. Canadian Tire at $6.99 or cheaper on sale.
    What's wrong with this picture?
    You can also buy a connector from BMW and make your own Fuel Pump Bypass cable cheaper, too. Or roll your own out of an FPC that went lights out. Why would there be a mark up of $17.00 on a wire it in yourself USB connector?
  10. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Princess Auto is a Canadian chain of Man Cave stores that stock all kinds of tools, auto and outdoor stuff. It's like a shoe store for men. You just go, nothing in mind to buy but leave with a cart full of stuff you didn't know you needed. Finding a woman there is just like the comic book store on the Big Bang Theory, everyone stops and stares.

Anyway, they buy whole stocks of discontinued merch for the Surplus area. Canadian Tire gave up selling these USB sockets (they were $20 I think) so the Princess bought X,000's of them on clearout and I would bet they're still making money at $5 each. They started at $7 each and that is still a bargain but I never knew they had'em. You can never find stuff in that store just like the grocery stores, they want you to wander and impulse buy!

It's all about opportunity. I don't know Burn's Moto but he's just another shop offerring a service and trying to make a go of it. No one forces people to shop there. An informed buyer seeks out the deals and buys accordingly. A lot of people have more money than time/skills and just buy stuff and they're OK with that. How many GS's are out there with 100 lbs of "protection" and never go off road? That's life. Please don't rag on the guys trying to get by in life. That's the way the world works.
  11. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course. It is Economics 101. I apply the same criteria to business big or small. I also tell people which ATM machines charge higher fees. But you are right, those bankers need to earn a crust, too. So we can not begrudge them, either.
    Actually, BMW and Harley do the same thing all the time.
    Those USB connectors, in a bulk lot, are probably less than a buck all in with shipping from China even if copper was at a high price.
  12. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Crust? Banks earn the whole damn pie! :rofl

I'm a bargain hunter and after I got my share of USB ports I let the word out is all. I'm doing a budget build. Bought my F8 as a scratch and dent from BMW Canada at less than half price with 9k kms on it. All fixed up like new now with lots of half priced farkles ready for the big SA trip.

I had a load of SAE connectors, a few powerlet plugs and some fuel pump controller connectors, all salvaged from scrap stuff. I installed a powerlet socket, fused and direct to the battery of my bike. Then put a SAE connector on a powerlet plug. The accessories that now plug into that setup are a regular cig outlet, slime mini air compressor, USB port, jumper cables and the fuel pump controller bypass cable. All up I have about $30 invested including the new air compressor. I should be ready for flats, FPC failure, stator failure and all my charging needs. Now I just have to install a powerlet outlet direct to the battery on her F658 to cover both bikes.

Wanna buy a USB charging port for your bike? $15 plus shipping. I'm gonna start a home based business. :D
  13. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    You got the bicycle wheel-mount generator for that right?
  14. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:

Oh I just knew you'd show up sooner or later........:puke1

Actually I took a page out of the aircraft engineers book. It's called a RAT. Ram Air Turbine. It looks like a desktop fan that deploys into the airstream in an emergency to provide AC power.

I put a pinwheel on the drive of the bicycle generator mounted to the handlebars via my spare Zumo ram mount. I can park it into the wind if necessary to recharge the batt. No tire sidewall wear! :D I didn't want to mention it to you cause you were so proud of your emerg setup.
  15. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    That reminds me of my Streetguard 3 Jacket that was given to me (BMW crap quality). I found a replacement waterproof zipper from China for .01 US plus shipping.

Minimum order 20,000.

Guess I'll just pay the $20 for one then.

Just sayin. It's all good.
  16. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Yeah yeah ... just wait till I deploy the "Pac-Man-on-Leash"
  17. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    See if you can make the mouth articulate so it looks like it's trying to eat you! :roflWaka waka waka waka!

Go ahead and make it a Ms. Pac Man. We won't judge. :D
  18. JRWooden

Oddometer:
  19. ixab

ixab just Aaron, really Supporter

Oddometer:
    I notice the rubber plug cover looks integrated, while the burnsmoto plug shows the cover as a $10... What a bargin!
  20. ixab

ixab just Aaron, really Supporter

Oddometer:
    So... I take it back about the cap, it's actually a weatherproof seal for a cable when plugged in. Doh. Seems a bit of a must have, and now you have to order from Burnsy anyway.

I estimated shipping from Princess Auto; from Hozerland to Washington State in the USA is $15.65. Suddenly the bargin isn't as sweet: $21 shipped vs $28 shipped. Add the cap from burnsmoto at $13 shipped you'd get $34 total for princess, $38 total from burnsmoto. What will you do with the $4 you saved? :huh

Anybody in Vancouver what to buy one of these and drive it down to my house in Bellingham? I'll buy you a beer :deal

:slurp speaking of which, it's almost lunch time.