Let's talk REV'IT! An open forum for your questions, opinions, suggestions and ideas.

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by REV'IT!, Apr 30, 2014.

1. REV'IT!

REV'IT! Motorcycle apparel

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

At REV'IT! a lot of time has been devoted to finding the highest quality materials and constructions so that we can design the best products out there. We've always loved the passionate discussions in the adventure riding community, and so we thought, time to join in the conversation. Our stuff is pretty technical, and we can get a little nerdy about it (But we noticed you can too!)

We're riders too -- and we know that a product has to be fully understood to be appreciated. We dug what Michael at Brit Kit put together for the complete guide to Kriega, so we're stealing... er, uh, "borrowing" his style. (Imitation is the best form of flattery, Michael!)

We'd like to open up any discussions on the technical performance, construction, fit, or style of any of our adventure products. We're here to help -- and to listen. Even if you just want to throw in your two cents on the REV'IT! features you love the most, or the ones you'd change -- it's all welcome. Our designers want to make the products you want to wear. As this grows, we hope that it will become a resource for anyone looking to suit up -- whether for the next big adventure, or the daily commute to work. (A ride is a ride, after all.)

If you think you have a warranty question/concern rather than an FAQ or suggestion, please contact info@revitusa.com.

Here are some of most popular REV'IT! ADV products...

Poseidon GTX Jacket
    Poseidon GTX Pants

Sand Ladies Jacket
    Sand Ladies Pants

Sand 2 Jacket
    Sand 2 Pants
    (And look! A hi-viz version!

Sand Pro Gloves
    Cooling Vest
    Cooling Neck Collar
    Cooling Wristband

Thanks for having us here. Looking forward to learning from and sharing with you all!

mosey.levy likes this.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to answer technical questions about your riding gear. :thumb

Do you offer any waterproof leather riding gear?
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to following this thread. I've felt for years that Rev'it could be the best. I love your style and fit is great. Now, I wear Rukka almost exclusively, so it'd be tough to beat.

The Poseidon is your top of the line, and I don't doubt that it would fit exceptionally, and be super comfortable, but why isn't it more protective? 600d fabric, with a few token strips of superfabric doesn't really cut it, and most of it isn't even ProShell. To be fair, I doubt I'd buy another Rukka suit for some of the same reasons. They don't make a suit like my Armas anymore. Top of the line just has a few token strips of Armacor. Meanwhile, other manufacturers are making truly protective suits.

Also, on the Poseidon, I prefer rear parallel vents to a horizontal one. That type of vent is blocked by the back protector and my Camelbak.

Have you considered switching to larger armor? While you're at it, armor that gets hard in the cold isn't usable for those of us in the North. I know manufacturers claim that your body heat will warm it up, but I've never found that to be true since its on the outside of your insulation hanging out in the cold.

I don't mean to sound so negative. I really want to be a Rev'it fanboy, and I'm always looking at your stuff. I guess I just haven't found the right suit yet with the combination of features I'm looking for.

Thanks for putting yourself out there:clap It takes a lot to put up with our crap:rofl
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I've had several Rev'it products (so has my wife) but like Jim mentioned above, why not more protective materials?

Currently I wear Rev'It Everest pants. Love them. Year round here in tucson. Vented, waterproof, one pair of pants for anywhere year round riding, what more could you want? But I hate that they are so light in the crash areas. I have these pants zipped to a Held Cardona jacket which is much studier - Gore-Tex Pro with super fabric from wrist to shoulder. Why can't someone make a good fitting pair of pants like that? Stadler maybe does. The new Klim rally might be like that but many complain about the poor fit of Klim.

Rev'It has some very good clothing but it could be great with more focus on using known, protective materials rather than some of the lighter materials with fancy names.
  5. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Sand 2 jacket. The sizing was really small. I have a 42 inch chest and I ended up with a XXXL that is still a little tight across the chest. I like the jacket except for all the pieces. Living in Maine I can have sub freezing temps in the morning, high humidity at lunch, and ride home in the rain. There are just too many liners to deal with the changing weather. For the price, this jacket should be more adaptable to conditions.
  6. KiriBKK

KiriBKK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the combination of protection and classic looks in the new Ginza, Rodeo, and Mohawk boots. However, I'm disappointed that they don't seem to be CE-rated. Do you have plans to get these certified in the future, or offer a similar line of CE-rated boots?
  7. REV'IT!

Oddometer:
    Nice to see so much interest here! Thanks for your questions and comments. Levain & Swimmer, we're working to get you specific info on materials from our design team in Holland. For the rest, here is some useful information...

GB, waterproof leather used to exist, but REV'IT never used it. GORE-TEX developed leather with a laminate bonded to it so that it could be seam taped. It was quite an expensive material, and no ventilation could be built in -- a few manufacturers tried to do something with it, but ultimately the products missed the mark. GORE-TEX took this product out of their range recently.

Instead, many REV'IT! products come with liners that zip directly into the jackets or pants; this has proven to be a more versatile solution. The Ignition 2 is one of our most popular jackets in the line -- it has a leather/mesh construction, a waterproof zip-in liner AND a thermal liner, which makes it perfect for three-season riding. (For those who like to go the extra step, of course we offer rain jackets and suits to be worn over your gear.)

All of our leather is treated with a hydrophobic treatment, like most leather used in MC garments, so that it is more weather resistant. The nice thing about leather is that cows withstand the rain, too! So in general it is not a huge deal when a leather garment gets wet -- it is, however, important to properly care for them afterwards. Wet jackets should be dried out afterwards and be conditioned periodically.

Hi Smoke Eater. You've discovered what many of us here in the US struggle with: European sizing. In general, we tend to be a "heartier" lot than our European counterparts! It's something the design team is well aware of and is working to resolve in coming years; already, our very slim fitting riding jeans have been modified for next season to include more relaxed fits. Hopefully at the end of the year we will have something more to report on the rest of the line.

As for the liners, this is another thing our designers have been working on. For our Spring/Summer 2015 collection, we'll present a new way to "layer up" without it being so cumbersome. I can't give you too many details now... But stay tuned!

KiriBKK, great news -- our new boots ARE in fact CE-approved! The detail is missing from some of our marketing materials because it was a late decision to change the design to receive the approval. You can rest assured, though, that the new boots (hitting store shelves in the next few weeks) are CE approved -- when you see a pair in person, you'll find the stamp on the inner tongue of the boot. We're really excited about these boots, and are happy to hear you like the look. Send us a photo if you pick up a pair!

Ride Safe,
    REV'IT!
  8. tc339

tc339 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Sand 2 and I really like the jacket, but the velcro is AWFUL. within 6 months of owning the jacket, the velcro on the pockets and cuffs are completely useless and doesnt even hold anymore.

Has anyone had an issue with that? I was expecting a bit more for a $500 jacket.

Besides that its a very nice, versatile jacket.
    StepaS likes this.
  9. AZR

AZR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Id love to see some revit stuff that's offroad specific. Even just a jersey.

I have an airwave jacket that I use offroad, until it hits the upper 90s, and love it.
  10. REV'IT!

Oddometer:
    Hey tc339, great to hear you've been enjoying the Sand 2, but we're sorry to hear about your velcro issues! If you send us a PM, we'd love to walk you through the warranty process, and get those fixed ASAP. You can also reach us by email at info@revitusa.com.

Hi AZR, we'll send your comment on offroad products on to our product development team; let us know if you had anything specific in mind. And we're happy to hear you're liking the Airwave, it is definitely one of our most popular products! Thanks for riding in REV'IT!
  11. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I have an idea that I don't see any other mfgrs currently doing with your gloves - please list what jackets they are compatible with, or list on your jackets what gloves they are compatible with. Here's what we ran into:

I purchased a pair of gauntlet gloves for my wife (women's Raven) 2 years ago for a Christmas present. Being winter and not riding season, she didn't bother to try them on with either of her Rev'It jackets (Ignition 2 and Airwave). In the closet they went until late March (well past return period). Time came to go ride, and she found that it was nearly impossible to get the gauntlet either over or under the jacket sleeves - what a bummer! Since then, we've paid close attention to "details" like this and it's amazing how many jackets are not gauntlet-friendly. Most jacket sleeves are either too long or too bulky to get gauntlet's on.

I hope this made sense. The Ravens are really nice gloves, but she can't wear them with the Ignition or Airwave jacket.
  12. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you are getting more involved with people that use your gear, and are willing to take the time here. I have had REV'IT gear for quite some time but it finally wore out, and to be honest what you offered just didn't match the quality of BMW vented gear that I purchased. For the same reason I went with KLIM but I will say that I always enjoyed the fit of the REV'IT gear better. That being said I became real interested in the Poseidon gear, but there is no one in GA that carries the gear. Do you have any plans to get a distributor in the Atlanta area?
  13. REV'IT!

Oddometer:
    Hey Scootertrog, this is a great idea! We'll definitely pass it on to our EU team to see if they can start listing glove/jacket compatibility. It's something that could benefit a lot of riders. Thanks for sharing!

Ghostryder, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Our Poseidon suit has been one of our most popular ever, and we'd love for your to try one. We've got some conversations going in Atlanta, but no current dealers -- it always helps, though, if they know there is consumer demand! You can always call up BMW Ducati Husqvarna Motorcycles of Atlanta, (866) 984-9844, and let them know you're interested in the Poseidon.

If you're near Athens, you can try NPR Ducati in Bogart to see if they have the suit, or if they can order it for you. Revzilla also carries the Poseidon, and they have a very small return fee (under $8) if it doesn't fit. Let us know how it goes if you get your hands on one!

Ride Safe,
    REV'IT!
  14. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love your products. My wife wears the Off Track and I have a pair of Dakar pants with the Sand jacket. I find the zippers on the sleeves open themselves whilst riding. How do I prevent this from happening?
  15. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been told by my dealer that my (leaking) Rev'it Horizon jacket is at your office, waiting for warranty disposition. Any chance you could, ahem, expedite this? Hopefully there's only one, and it's easy to figure out which one is mine:lol3.

These last few weeks have been awful for rain in NJ(last weds in particular), and my Klim Badlands keeps letting water down the neck due to the floppy design. Now that prime riding season is starting, I need to know what my wet weather solution will be.
  16. REV'IT!

Oddometer:
    Hey BlackBeast, thanks for the kind words. We love our products, too ;)

As for your Sand, sometimes zippers start to loosen after lots of use; if they get too loose, it would only take something like strong gusts of wind to pull them open -- which it sounds like you're experiencing. If you've purchased the jacket in the last year, then it's still under warranty, and we'd be happy to swap in some new zippers for you. Otherwise, you might try contacting our highly trusted repair shop out of California and seeing what can do for you: http://www.anthonysleatherworks.com or (949) 486-9000. Let us know how it goes!

Hey Kenji -- We'll send you a PM and see if we can't get this sorted. Thanks for letting us know!

Ride Safe,
    REV'IT!
  17. REV'IT!

Oddometer:

Levain & Swimmer, we love a good challenge! Sounds like you both know your
    gear, so we went direct to our design team to properly respond to your question. Here goes...

In building each of our jackets, we choose each element individually (instead of using a factory "package"), right down to the last button and zipper. The GORE-TEX fabrics are some of the most ideal products on the market for us, because even the two layer products deliver very, very high abrasion and tear resistance. You could say we choose them for their "deception" -- they are incredibly lightweight, but are in fact ultra-protective.

Industry research and testing has shown that protection falls into two categories: passive safety vs. active safety, so we strive to deliver the highest level of active safety without sacrificing on the passive -- in other words, a heavy, bulky fabric doesn't work for us because it makes the rider uncomfortable. Discomfort leads to distraction, and we know where the story goes from there. We have done our best to isolate the areas that truly need extra protection, and add it there -- it keeps the product lighter, more flexible, while preventing costs from skyrocketing. Sometimes "extra" protection is just extra; we try to make sure that anything we add to the jacket has real value.

As for protective armor, until this point, we've always used external brands (Knox, Sas-Tec), but that's about to change -- the details aren't public yet, but our spring/summer 2015 collection will feature armor that we've designed in-house. It's bigger, more durable, and won't stiffen in cold weather. Stay tuned for more!

Please feel free to keep your questions coming! Good discourse is invaluable. Thanks for your interest in REV'IT!

Ride Safe.
    REV'IT!
  18. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As the owner of Rev'It Poseidon GTX jacket and pants I'll offer my so far rather limited experience with it. It is very comfortable and offers pretty good venting. I did also purchase the Hi Viz vest and the Seesoft back protector, both nice options. But at this price point it seems to me that the Seesoft back protector should have been included, just my opinion.

I'm impressed with the adjustable features for both jacket and pants. The pants are a bit big on me at the waist but I'm sure the next size down would have been snug enough to prohibit the use of my Gerbing's heated gear. Really like the way the sleeves fit and zip closed at the wrist. Obviously very well thought out and designed gear.

The only negative I've experienced so far is that in several areas the reflective material is starting to peel off in small pieces. Not sure why, but since I've only worn the gear twice this is also unsatisfactory.

Overall I'm happy with my decision. Keep up the work and it is great to see you posting here! :clap
  19. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    All sounds great, but I'd still like to see a more protective suit. Nice to see you moving away from the tiny SasTec armor for size and cold weather issues. That's a huge step in the right direction.

Maybe, the suit I'm looking for will come from you in 2015. I really want an ultra protective, true 4 season GoreTex Pro Shell suit. I don't want liners. I want proper venting. It needs to be ultra protective, and I don't want to look like a billboard or a wannabe Adventure rider.

I'm ready for part 2 of the review anytime:lol3:lol3:lol3
  20. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, I agree with Levain and Swimmer: an ultra-protective suit would be very welcome, ideally CE-approved as Personal Protective Equipment for professional motorcycle use. Halvarssons, Spidi, Weise, Scott Leathers and others all offer a CE-approved textile suit.

Also, will your new armour be certified to CE Level 1 or the new Level 2?