The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    A quick google search yielded the following information, Ed.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-performance/3328-hrc-cbr-has-map-adjustable-ecu.html

http://www.jetsetracing.com/ecu cdi/cbr250r/cbr-250-250r-ecu.html

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sxOmKNIWuyU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Apparently the race ECU is very expensive. :huh

Spud :wave
  2. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    Service manual shows only a single O2 sensor, up near the exhaust outlet from the head.
  3. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Part #11 in the following diagram is an oxygen sensor; it costs $55. Is there another oxygen sensor on the bike, Ed?

[​IMG]

Spud :beer
  4. 'Flagger

Oddometer:
    See my previous post.
  5. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You beat me by 5 minutes, 'Flagger! :lol3 I was composing my post while you were placing yours. :wink:

Spud :beer
  6. 'Flagger

Oddometer:
    No worries ... I was searching for this mystery race ECU at the same time as you ... found the same CBR25R.net article as you did ... even went to HRC's site to find some more info and didn't get very far.
  7. toddol1971

toddol1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    if I was on anything smaller than a big scooter over here I'd be more than nervous. Luckily where I live its way out in the country. To many people on phones, texting or whatever they do. My mom just called me this morning and told me that she had been hit by a jeep. Guess what the lady in the jeep was doing?????? Stupid, stupid people. Then she tells my mom that this is the 4th time this has happened to her, like it was my moms fault. I'm telling ya its like every 50th person had a lobotomy over here. I'm sure its everywhere though. It seems like its mostly kids to me age 16 to 25 ish. Keep your eyes open for the meandering wasps over there.
  8. Krono

Krono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sounds a good idea to me, since this one is mostly about racks and bars.
    It could be a "tech-tread" about engine, from intake to exhaust, electrical, and so on ..

L
  9. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't remember if it was on this thread or I read it someplace else. Might have been Bake posting about Bill Blue's CRFL strip, and punching out to 280? This is a ground up new engine, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that all these sensors are interchangeable within the Honda family, maybe even to the cars. Usually, when this happens, they have looked at the future emissions, and are already there now. All that "stuff" on our CRF is to make it compliant, probably not only here, but for worst case scenario, world wide. One exception was the Thailand guy saying that his muffler didn't come apart like ours, to get to the spark arrest screen, but for the most part, this is the same bike everywhere. Looked for the Ramz post about how this bike can "talk" to a computer, but couldn't find it. He did reference how the DLC plugs into the UDS pocket tester, back on page 19, post #266. Unfortunately, a UDS is not in my tool kit. Anybody got a WCD (Weather Changer Device)?
  10. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  11. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oops, page 18, HDS. Looks like you can get one from Helm, $2704, in stock!
  12. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    The MAP Manafold Absolute Pressure would be the same as a barometric sensor, no?
    And I think all FI bikes have an intake air temp sensor.

As far as two oxy sensors go, cars use the 2nd one (post cat) to measure that the cat is working, a requirement on cars....

Is Honda getting the systems like cars?
    In some ways it would be great, as those are wide band systems, from idle to full throttle, unlike the 'just where the EPA measures' systems on most bikes.,
    My TU only looks at the oxy sensor under mid throttle and mid rpm's, it does not look at it at idle, at full throttle, , or low or high rpm's, and my bike does not spend a lot of time in the oxy sensor zone!

A wideband system would allow changes without needing to program anything, like cars, the system would just adjust for any changes, but with a 2nd oxy sensor, you could not remove the cat or change the exhaust without setting a code.

13. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

I'm used to using the standardized automotive abbreviations. :D So keep that in mind.

They must be using the MAP sensor to read Barometric pressure at key on then. This would be how the PCM checks altitude.

I figured it would have the IAT sensor = Intake Air Temperature sensor. Thanks. :thumb

I have a link to the Honda parts catalog which is one of the things I needed.

What I would really like to see is the wiring diagram. :deal Pictures are always nice too, I have a few collected. :wink:

The lack of the cam sensor and 1 wire narrow band O2 sensor shows me it is a early basically an early type automotive system. That means the PCM is most likly a PROM type instead of a EEPROM type. :1drink

This type of system doesn't do to much OBD so it is easier to trick it as needed. This also makes diagnoising and testing easier for the average backyard tech. :nod

:kumbaya
  14. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

You should... It's your motorcycle, just ride it to where the weather is nice. :lol3

:freaky
  15. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Works better with new bikes, get one and it snows...

16. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:
    I plan on posting on both sites. :thumb I pretty sure you know my user name there... :lol3

How about you starting a tread about the available mods of the bike??? :wave

It's the programing and live data feed I would like to see, but that's not really needed. :1drink

A wiring diagram and a fellow inmate to test a few things will help out the most. :deal

I'm well versed with the princples of operation this early speed density closed loop system works under. :D I have diagnoised, repaired and tricked many variations of the type of system for years. :rofl

:ricky
  17. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:
    Snow...

I dig riding in snow. It helps your flattrackin skills. :lol3

:1drink
  18. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

Sounds good we just need spud to get on borad to cover the rest... :D

:rofl :rofl :rofl
  19. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

Now thats a chapter I want to see... :nod

Wiring diagrams would be great too if they aren't in it. :D

:1drink
  20. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

I would expect it to have a waste spark system with or without a cam sensor.

The reason a cam sensor would be used is then the fuel injector can be timed to only spray on the intake stroke. It can be done without a cam sensor but the programing is pretty intense.

:kumbaya