KTM 625sxc

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by manoir, Apr 12, 2006.

1. the88tlc

the88tlc Adventurer

Oddometer:

i recently purchased a 2001 ktm 625 sxc. it has a fcr 41 keihin carb on it, previous owner claims it was not a stock carb. anyone set one of these up on a ktm 625? I want to go through it and rejet it for high altitude (i live in park city ut, and ride a lot around 10,000 ft), and want to tear it down and make sure everything is hunky dory.

thanks for the sweet posts
  2. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    OK, this tiny oil capacity thing is bugging me.

Has anyone heard of someone adding an aditional oil reservoir/cooler to a LC4 based frame?
  3. 1stworks

1stworks dude

Oddometer:

Use good oil and change evey 1500 miles and you will be fine.:D
    There is a thread w/ oil cooler but its mounted in bad spot.

firstworks
  4. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I just found that thread.
  5. ktmbmw

ktmbmw Not ridden in a while... I shall return.

Oddometer:
    Thought I would throw my SXC recent pic into this thread.
    Mods:
    - Street legal
    - bar risers
    - headlight relay kit (EasterBeaver)
    - tail tool roll
    - KTM skid plate
    - higher rate spings front and back
    [​IMG]
    Next mods:
    • 18L tank
    • cush hub
    • real bark busters (not these plastic things)
    • rear rack
    • ...?
  6. Papa Smurf 0369

Papa Smurf 0369 Papa Smurf 0369 USMC

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2003 625SXC because I wanted a desert bike I could safely use on the freeway. I have only been riding 2+ years. I had a CRF 230L great after some mods for the desert but too slow for freeway use. My issue is I am 5 foot 1 inch and no one makes a bike with any real off-road abilities for someone my size. So far I have put on a Kouba-Link, cut the seat, cut the subframe and pushed the forks up. My seat is down to 33.5 inches. I would love to get it lower. The power is great, just too tall. I know Metzeler makes a front tire 110/80-19 and 17 inch rear tires (MCE Karoo) which are pretty aggressive dual sport tires (running them now). What would be the issues/limitations in running a 17" rear and 19" front for off-road? I know I will get some of my travel back at least. Luckily I am of normal weight for a full grown guy (175 lbs) just not full grown height, so the suspension works as it should, my riding weight for off road is about 200 pounds.
  7. osbo

osbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have found a 2006 SXC 625 FS herein the USA. Owner says he bought it new @ the dealer in '05. Title says 2006. It is not a super moto, nor was it prior. What do you guys think? I was certain '04 was the end of the SXC in the USA.
    Ideas? Theories?
  8. ktmbmw

ktmbmw Not ridden in a while... I shall return.

Oddometer:
    I have added the 18l gas tank, matching seat, and metal hand guards.
    [​IMG]

9. MommysLittleMonster

MommysLittleMonster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so i have a offer to trade one of my street bikes for a 625 sxc its a 03 with 4k on it. anything i should be aware of
  10. wmw

wmw Domingo Siete

Oddometer:
    Up near the top of the LC4 Index thread there's a link where Creeper did a checklist for specifically checking out used LC4 bikes. Some of that likely doesn't apply to '03. That thread also has many links you might want to scan through for more info about pluses and minuses and issues. [Edit: If you're going to ride slowly pretty often or be stopping in traffic, etc. make sure it has had a fan added on, probably a manually switched one. The stock bike wants to be going fast to stay cool or you'll boil out your coolant.]

In the U.S. these are red-headed-stepchild bikes since they were only around in 03 and 04 AFAIK. This leads to them not showing up in various KTM model indexes and generally being a little trickier to deal with. For example, my insurer couldn't find it anywhere by model, either as 625 SXC or 625 LC4, and the VIN brought it up as a 650 super moto in their system :rofl.

So. Some drawbacks: some of the parts can be a bit sketchy to nearly impossible to find (but AFAIK all the critical stuff is still available), service manual isn't free, although it's cheap on CD. There's confusing info around on what crosses to other LC4's and what doesn't, how the U.S. version is or isn't different. It'd be great if you have a good KTM dealer you work with that knows the whole history of the bike. I'll yield on the technical stuff to all those on these forums who know heaps more than me about these bikes....

Damn fine D/S though, esp. for the Rockies :D. 4k sounds very attractive -- should put it into the range of `affordable value yielding a lot of bang for your trading $ and minimizing downside', if that makes any sense.

For me at 6'5" and looking for an affordable, lightweight as possible but still practical D/S with a decent stock suspension, responsive throttle and solid (if a bit old-fashioned) engine, the 625's a joy; the best fit in a bike I've ever had. (i.e. I don't have to spend thousands trying to "upgrade" the bike to get it working well.)
  11. MommysLittleMonster

Oddometer:
    thanks for the help that really gave me some good in site to the bike. yeah there is not alot on the bikes i have looked around and found a few things but not alot. i am really excited to get it i am sick of my street bikes do to the fact that riding out here is almost a death wish. and i wanted something much lighter then the 950 adv that i have. i think it will be a very nice love affair. and not to mention its coming with a extra motor and a few other goodies that came off a supermoto
  12. MommysLittleMonster

Oddometer:
    also with a 625 supermoto motor what is worth swapping over? i am taking the carb but is there anything else
  13. MommysLittleMonster

Oddometer:
    well i just picked the ktm and took it out to the woods the next day! god damn what a tractor it is 2ed it would have no issues going up any hill. i must say i think i am going to enjoy the shit out of this bike
  14. 1stworks

1stworks dude

Oddometer:

:clap :clap :clap :clap

pics???
  15. MommysLittleMonster

Oddometer:
    here it is sorry for the sorry cell phone photo but this was when i was unloading it [​IMG]
  16. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great looking bike Monster; did it come with the turn signals?
  17. MommysLittleMonster

Oddometer:
    nope no turns the guy said he did not want to brake them off when riding
  18. MommysLittleMonster

Oddometer:
    anyone know if the carb off of a 625 sm is better the then sxc
  19. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    '07 SXC 625

Same bike - different tanks/seats/wheels/mufflers/headlights/brake disc/front fender, etc. 17000kms on clock.

Adventurized

[​IMG]

Motarded

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Trail

[​IMG]
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  20. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    did that got the t shirt... but also added an adventure frame for the extra oil after goin thru the big end bearing at 40,000 mi.. now it stays an adventure.. wtih the other tanks sitting in the garage