The Longest Day 2012

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Crutchy, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Tfos1

Tfos1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Date: December 21

Start time: It varies by a minute or two each year. Check the Bureau Of Met or another reliable site for the start time as the date approaches. It's important to know the time, because it's not "first light" which happens quite a bit earlier, and we've had a few years where the cloud prevented us seeing the rim of the sun's disc.

Finish time: Same as above. Check sunset time at the places you hope to be...Merty Merty, for instance.

Start locations: Entirely up to you. There's a group that starts from Sawtell Headland and follows a set route because that's the way we've done it for the last seven years. Those of in that group are chasing a distance set from Sawtell Headland, but the challenge is there no matter where you start and what route you're on. The very first Longest Day actually started from Byron Bay.

TF
  2. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers for that TF.

I had been aware of the first light or by the bureau but did'nt know which it was.

The maths for a straight line via the shortest route on google from the Coffs Coast shows 1432k's.
    So
    would it be fair to say If I found another route from SA/Vic coast of the same distance or greater that it would be OK?

Obviousely an east coast start would have the sun/ daylight duration advantage.
  3. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:

But this website I was looking at said the longest day of the year it the 22nd of December.

Just keeping with tradition.:lol3
  4. Tfos1

Tfos1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And where do you get an entry, right?, Good stuff!
  5. Tfos1

Tfos1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be fair to say that if you're out there riding on December 21, chasing the sun west, it really doesn't matter where you start or where you finish. Being there and facing the challenge is what the whole thing is all about. The distance and route are just a couple of ways of measuring and comparing. They're not the only way.

If you tackle it, only you can judge your success...unless you poop-hole your bike 100km west of Bourke because you didn't do your preparation properly. You don't need much of a yardstick to measure your performance in that case.

TF
  6. Fogo72

Fogo72 I Bleed Green

Oddometer:
    Yes well there is a reason why the location and date was left of the video. the day the cops are waiting for us along the Guyra rd will be the day a lot of guys will be walking to work for a very long time.
  7. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    ?
  8. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Well of course they will have to send the $150 entry fee to me (PM me for bank account details) And you can send an application form to Tom.

We have run out of the first run of application forms, so just E mail, or write down on a piece of paper and send, your full name, Bike details, MA License number (If you don't have one, an extra $50 on top of the entrance fee will secure you a one day licence), along with your preferred "race" number (this will be used for tracking, and so the fans that line the route know who they just saw speed by at or below the speed limit), and valid credit card information.

The credit card information will only be used as a security deposit (for border crossings and such, because at Cameron Corner, you can cross three boarders in a short walk), alternatively for an additional $100 we can supply you with an "unrestricted border pass" that will get you access to all three states without having to give the border guards your credit card details.

If there are any questions, can you please direct them to Tom, as I will unfortunately be back home in Nigeria at the time of the “event”.

Good luck, and remember, the first lot of forms have all been taken, so entries are filling fast!

So be quick!
  9. Crutchy

Crutchy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice one trev how bout u issue the border crossing passes at the big gate ( Cameron Corner) get out there this year mate. :1drink
  10. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Do you think society would ever forgive me if I did that?:lol3
  11. Flanman13

Flanman13 Dinosaur

Oddometer:
    Room booked, roster organised, approval from 'minister for war and finance' granted...bring it on.
  12. Steamy Moose

Steamy Moose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that's a ride!
  13. Pom

Pom Old fart on big bike

Oddometer:
    The Back of Beyond, SW Queensland, Australia
    Just putting on a reply to bring this thread back to the top of the pile - not long now, and the forecast is for dry and hot this year......
    see you at the Corner.
  14. Fogo72

Fogo72 I Bleed Green

Oddometer:
    I,m in again. Annual leave booked. Sure I wont make it there, but if its anything like last year we are gunna have a hell of a lot of fun trying. :lol3

Cheers Fogo...
  15. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    Got all jealous about you blokes going on about it last year. Got my tail up about it now.

Sunbury, VIC (my place) to the Corner looks like 1271km on Google Maps. Most of that tar to Broken Hill sadly. Could see about massaging the route to make it a bit more sporting/interesting but prolly add quite a bit of distance.

Sunrise in Sunbury on the Geoscience thingy is 5:56am on the 21st, AEDT (UTC+11),

Setset at the Corner (29degS, 141degE) then, is 8:04pm Central Daylight Time (UTC+10.5), which gives me another 30min as I wind a clock back at Broken Hill.

14 hours, 38 minutes of daylight. Have I got that right?
  16. Fogo72

Fogo72 I Bleed Green

Oddometer:
    I encourage alot more guys to come for the ride, even if you only go as far as Bourke, Its alot of fun.
  17. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    Will this actually happen this year now that Tom is not working on a Motorcyle magazine ?

It has been Tom's baby for quite a few years now .

Someone else may have to take over the non organization :wink: of the thing .
  18. outback jack

outback jack Long timer

Oddometer:
    It should be a great year to do it, the Mayan Calender predicts the world will end on 21/12, what a way to go :ken
  19. YeeHaa

YeeHaa Fang it!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    How was the ride back from the south Pom?

20. Pom

Pom Old fart on big bike

Oddometer:
    The Back of Beyond, SW Queensland, Australia
    Hi
    awesome ride north - down to 1 deg in fog north of Yass, but home in the warm before dark, only caught one shower - 50km south of home.
    What about your run home ?
    Pom