Anyone Interested in Monthly Rides in Big Bear?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Dual-Sport-Noob, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Dual-Sport-Noob

Dual-Sport-Noob SoCal 650

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to ride some trails around Big Bear this Saturday with any other "bigger bikes".

I own a 1992 KLR650 and joined the Big Bear Trail Riders club which meets this Saturday (and I think the first Saturday of every month) but most (if not all) of their members ride KTM 450's and the like through lots of rock gardens that my 650 (or maybe it's just me) are not cut out for.

If you're interested in doing some "adventure type" riding around Big Bear with me this Saturday (or any first Saturday of the month) please contact me.

I'm looking to ride once a month in Big Bear with anyone else new to Big Bear and and bigger bike riding to map out all the best trails suitable for a KLR 650 or similar "adventure bike".

Dan Baldwin
    951-251-5155
    ateldan@gmail.com

:freaky
  2. K0ncept

K0ncept Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As soon as im healed up and ride ready I will be up there, I should be ready withing a month or so, damn head injury.. But as soon as I am, count me in... I love riding up there, and I could care less about doing john bull and the like, I have broken too many bones, and just want to have fun and not bench pressing my 530 off me... A really fun ride is from Big Bear to Pioneer Town and back, lots of stuff to look at and nothing really hard, just your right hand makes it as hard as you want it without scaling waterfalls lol...

Ya def put me on your list, I should be ride ready soon....

Dan...
  3. trailwing

trailwing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe.
  4. Dual-Sport-Noob

Oddometer:
    The Big Bear Trail Riders breakfast meeting is from 9am to 10am at Nottingham's at 40797 Lakeview Drive in Big Bear Lake, right on the corner of Lakeview and Bartlett, near The Village.

After breakfast I'm thinking that I'd like to ride the 3N16 trail from East to West starting at the dump (http://goo.gl/maps/6J5i3) and then turn South at 3N14 coming out at Fawnskin. I'm bringing a couple GPS devices to try and teach myself how to navigate using them.

I was up in this area last month and it looked nice - lots of trees and not too many mountain bikes to run into.

Last month I tried to make it to the Holcomb Valley camp ground going North up 3N69 from the Baldwin Lake area but got stopped at some "rock stairs" about a mile or so up. A couple KTM 450s passed me and made it up but I couldn't make it with my 80/20 street tires after 20 minutes of trying so I had to go back down and then reached Holcomb Valley via 3N09 and then went East on 3N16 and out at the dump.

I went home (Lake Elsinore) that evening via the 38 which I had never been down before. It was beautiful in the rain.
  5. K0ncept

K0ncept Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Argh, I cant wait, I still go in the garage daily to pet my 530 and let her know we will be riding again soon .. I also need to learn to use Maps and a GPS, all my years on closed courses lol, I never needed them before heheh...
  6. Dune Rider

Dune Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a lot of fun. I have been riding the Big Bear area the past two summers and know some cool rides that you would enjoy. I ride a KLX 250 but like riding at a big bike pace and ride for the views not the hard challenges. Living in the high desert, I ride from my house up trails to the lake and loop back thru Silverwood Lake. If interested let me know.

Andy
  7. francisthepig

francisthepig Dances with Lurkers Supporter

Oddometer:
    subscribed and interested.
    I have an F800gs and also enjoy the slower pace.
  8. Dual-Sport-Noob

Oddometer:
    Andy, I'm intersted. Do you want to meet at the BBTR meeting at Nottingham's restaurant in Big Bear at 9am or somewhere else?

Feel free to call me at 951-251-5155 or email ateldan@gmail.com.
  9. Dual-Sport-Noob

Oddometer:
    Francis, Do you want to meet at the BBTR meeting at Nottingham's Saturday at 9am? I had in mind the 3N16 & 3N14 around Holcomb Valley north of the lake and Andy says he knows some nice routes as well.

Feel free to call me at 951-251-5155 or email ateldan@gmail.com.
  10. BigBearRider

BigBearRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am considering meeting up at Nottingham's too. I'd be riding a Suzuki DRZ 400s, and generally take it easy.
  11. Dune Rider

Dune Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you want to make it easy and ride up to Big Pine Flats, we could meet at I 15 and Hwy 138 (McDonalds). From Big Pine Flats the whole valley is open to explore. Can do the area around B B Lake or head towards Green Valley Lake and back down by Silverwood Lake and back to the start.

Andy
  12. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. Dual-Sport-Noob

Oddometer:
    Andy, How about I meet you at Big Pine Flat campground (http://goo.gl/maps/mHVIR) with any non-hardcores that want to join for a ride around 11am? That will give me time to better meet the people at the 9am BBTR breakfast. If I leave Nottinghams by 10am that will give me pleanty of time (http://goo.gl/maps/k832u) to get to Big Pine Flat campground by 11am.

After meeting up I'd be interested in having you show me & any other interested riders any cool rides you know in that area. I've never toured the Silverlake area so I'd be up for exploring anything between Big Pine Flat and Interstate 15.
  14. Dune Rider

Dune Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like your plan, but I will meet you at Nottinghams around 9 to 9:30 for coffee and meet the guys also. We can then decide which ride to take, I have a few to choose from. See you then.

Andy
  15. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cant do this weekend; but I'd be up for a ride nest weekend.
  16. Dual-Sport-Noob

Oddometer:
    My Big Bear motorcycle house pass is only good on "second Saturdays". What are you doing October 13th?
  17. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey francisthepig. Did you ever get knobby tires for f800gs? The stock ones did not do well in the mud. I am breaking in the motor on my old L. I should be riding big bear in a week or two. its been almost a year since I have been ds riding. I plan to take it easy maybe you will like to join me? Ben
  18. Dual-Sport-Noob

Oddometer:
    Great. See you Saturday morning at Nottingham's.

My 1992 blue "Barbie Bike" is pretty easy to spot. I took the photos below at the top of Satiago Peak overlooking Orange County (http://goo.gl/maps/4Ov3E) only a few short hours after buying the bike from the previous owner last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The knobbie tires in these photos have been swapped out with 80/20 street/dirt tires so I can ride the 80 miles to Big Bear without getting vibrated to death.
  19. francisthepig

francisthepig Dances with Lurkers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this still a plan to hook up with others at 11am? I got the ok to go out an play on Saturday, but it would be tough for me to get up there by 9.
    Ben, I did put some knobbies on for the Noob DV ride, but right now I am on Shrinko's 705's
    Robert
  20. So_Lost

So_Lost Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would love to join you guys but just can't do this weekend. I'm good for the next weekend or any others in late September / early October. I'd likely ride up Friday evening so I can camp Friday and Saturday....home Sunday afternoon.

Anyone else planning to camp??

Cheers!
    Dave