Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see this thread get back on track! :thumb
  2. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Had a good year -

I went from 0 brevets to completing the full series along with a 1200-km event in 2012. That's almost 3000-km in brevets and with regular weekday and Saturday rides, I'll end up with 8000-km / 5000 miles this year.

Part of my staying motivated is putting my goals out there for everyone to see. That way, you can rag me if you don't me at least make an effort. :wink: So.....

In 2013: more of the same. I've signed up for the Texas Rodeo Stampede 1200 in early May. It's a 1200-km event through the Hill Country and due to the 2012 results, I'm already qualified. I'm sure I'll ride a few of our local events also. Our club's first century is in early Jan so we'll do that one too.

What did you accomplish in 2012 and what are your goals for 2013?
  3. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Yeah - too much {edit: Aurelius,} mountain bike and Strava shit.

:hide

:lol3
  4. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    2012: Yer gonna' make me waste half my day downloading the Garmin, aren't you? :lol3

2013: Hopefully, will be through all my ailments and back on the bike. Ugh! In the meantime, I'll continue to soft-paddle my kayak.
  5. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Kayak? Kayak? What kind? Wait - there's a thread for that here also.

Nah - You don't have to do that. I download mine after every ride or at least, every ride gets downloaded within a few days. It's like my old man writing down the mileage, the date, the amount of gas purchased, etc in a little book he kept in the glovebox. I did that also until I realized I never used the data. :lol3

To an amusing feature on one brand of frames: The Ibis Hakkalugi - and the little touches they add. This is logically called the Ibis Hakkalugi handjob:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    :thumb Go get 'em!

No crazy plans on our end. Maybe another Metric or two. I'll continue the weekday club ride and weekend cruise routine unless YakWife wants to train up for something bigger.
  7. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Goals for next year:

Finally lose this last 10# (eat the same. ride more)
    Get enough points to upgrade to a 3 in cross

Then it gets kinda nebulous
    work on the anaerobic engine so I can get enough points to upgrade to a 3
    work on my sprint 'cause I sure as shootin ain't a climber!
    race more during the summer to get ready for cross season (having a team helps)

Then there's the equipment upgrades:
    25 to 38mm carbon rims for my King hubs
    11-28 or 12-27 cassettes for my cross race wheels
    new road frame 'cause the QA is dented (probably another AL or chinese carbon depending on what I can get a deal on)
    backup cross race frame
    Bont Vaypor shoes
    new Shimano mtn shoes for cross. 3 velcro straps suck for running in!
    etc.

M
  8. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    2012: I started riding :clap

2013: Improve riding technique and overall endurance and strength on the bike. Maybe enter the local MTB time trial series next winter (should start in December 2013).
  9. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I need to post over there, but, I'm not real active on forums and don't need another thread to follow. Though, to answer your question, we both have Venture Flex 11. We schooled in a couple of Tidewaters, but, they're just too much boat. We wanted something to explore creeks and rivers and could be mishandled and not make us feel guilty. The Flexes were the perfect boat for us and we knew it as soon as we hit the water.

I thought I'd use my data, too. But, I quickly realized I didn't really care and just wanted to ride.

That thing is awesome! They make some really nice bikes.
  10. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Evidently I was further back on Sun than I thought: 38th at 47:XX. Winners did it in 42.XX so they underestimated the race by 2.XX min.

I was 10th Cat 4 in the Men's 3/4 race tho. That's gotta count for something.

Right?!

:D

I've got room for improvement. :nod

M
  11. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
  12. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Well, 2012 started off with a bang. Or rather 2011 bled into 2012 with me running three times a week and riding the weekends. Zero motorcycle miles on the weekends.

Then I began working overtime. That rev-limiter was pegged so often it began to feel like the idler pulley. Held things pegged against that until my back gave in and I was nearly flattened. I'm still recovering form the lack of riding, running and downright lack of any exercise.

I can't remember where I rode or when I rode the Roubaix last. I looked up at it hanging in the garage a few weeks ago, last time I was home.

I'm up to the hookers and tattoo's levels for the hotel stays and rental car rentals. I've also banged into the overtime pay limit. Which if you ever wondered looks like the following; your check reflects the hours you worked along with the regular hours pay and right there in black sticky bits the OT pay.:clap

Then the very next line subtracts that amount. :eek1

With the cute caption to the affect you're over the limit Bucko no soup for you!

I've managed to not gain back all the weight I burned off. But, I've got some back. My back has taken several steps back to bad, to almost unmanageably bad to worse than that to just about OK.
    I'm being really careful now.
    I did manage to convert near 800 miles into around a million steps and get a $100 from the folks I work for.
    Insurance company still doesn't like me. But, then I don't much care for them either.

I've driven cars more and ridden motorcycles less than at any time in the last 40 years.

2013 looks to be starting off as 2012 is leaving off. I do however plan, hope I can ride and run more. Not much chance of fitting any motorcycling in, but we'll see. I also really hope to have a job this time next year. at this end of the tunnel things look pretty dark. :huh

My wish list would be to average 200 miles a week on the bike and 25 running. If I was working back at my home base, I'd think that would be easy. Right now it looks like a pretty tough challenge. We'll give it a go though.

Once more time from the top. This time with feeling.:freaky
  13. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:

:bluduh
  14. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I still have the old steel frame I raced. It's a 1983 Pinarello record, 57cm, but closer to 56.
    It is too big for me in modern fashion sense, but I still like the way it looks. I see past the wear, and missing decals,

[​IMG]

I've talked of selling it, but probably won't.

I've talked of restoring it but, probably won't do that either. The decals I was sold as correct aren't.

[​IMG]
  15. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I got an email from Strava a couple of weeks ago telling me somebody had taken my KOM. I didn't even know I had one. :huh :lol3
    I was thinking I'd waste the play-money-attaboy-bonus-crap I have accumulated over the past year on a Garmin sports watch with heart monitor. I do kinda care how my heart is doing. I mean, for me a quickly closing on 60 fat guy that is the reason I ride bicycles. But, I have a pulse app on my phone that works for me keeping track. And even they send me emails telling me I need to take my pulse.

Maybe they know something I don't?:eek1
    :rofl
  16. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have an overall shot handy? Or, do I need to dig into the "show us" thread?
  17. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah - thanks for the reminder. I changed my original post. :evil

:lol3
  18. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Its in this thread somewhere. I've seen pics. I don't think Mr Head even knows about the 'show us' thread.

M
  19. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I thought I'd seen it, somewhere.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're so wrong! :rofl