About Duro tires...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by TumGeceRock, Mar 24, 2013.

1. TumGeceRock

TumGeceRock n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, I'm Hakan from Turkey. This is my first topic in here. I want to ask about tires. My bike is Yamaha xtz660 tenere and i need new tires. What do you think about duro tires? Is there anybody use these tires in here? Thank you.
  2. CycleDoc59

CycleDoc59 Wrench Rider

Oddometer:
    Duro makes old-style/size vintage type bias-ply
    "toodle" tires that are inexpensive...

So, if you don't ride hard, and mostly "toodle" about
    they should do fine.
  3. TumGeceRock

TumGeceRock n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your reply. I guess i use that tires for a recent time. I will buy metzeler for a long time. Thank you.
  4. Railbender

Railbender Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to ADV Rider.

I use Duro 308 tires on my Ural sidecar rig and they are not a bad tire. The shape of the 308 is not suitable for motorcycle use however. On my motorcycles I like Metzeler tires.

:freaky
  5. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    I tried Duros on my old KLR once and the tread blocks cracked and delaminated in a short amount of time. I think it was the 904
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used Duro Median HF903/904 tires on my KLX650 for about 10 years now, putting over 25,000 miles on them. I get about 4000 miles before the rear is flattened in the center to the point where I no longer get the kind of traction I want and there is a noticable transition when banking over onto the outside of the tread. I also replace the front at that time too. It is cupped enough that it's worth doing.

I have had no problem with any cracking or the blocks on the six or so sets that I have ridden. Per my experience I can lean hard into corners when playing on the paved roads with my supermoto friends never having any problems there. I also don't have problems with the dirt/gravel and haven't had much problems with mud and clay, but I'm not out on the really tough stuff then.

The tread design is impressive. They have a sort of web between blocks side to side to stablize the blocks under cornering forces, but the tread is full depth around the circumference creating a sort of paddle tire effect.

I am sold on them for the dual sport single I ride. I have no idea how they will work on the heavier twin. I won't go to any other brand, because I won't fix what isn't broke - they work well enough I can not think it is worth more to buy anything else. They are low enough priced that it isn't a big deal to take them off before the rear tire is bald in the center or to try to run the front tire longer in spite of cupping. In other words I see it as the best buy per dollar per mile.