Gold Point / Death Valley October Rally

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by jrozar, Jun 21, 2013.

1. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would you like me to bring extra oil and filter so you can change it while in GP? One of he riders runs a pit crew for a trophy truck and he sets up a "pit" for the bikes.

2. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    YES thanks would be grand, pay you back when i get there. I was trying to figure out an oil change without being rude and inconveniencing anyone. I was even debating getting there early and having a stealership [​IMG] mess with it for me. And I don't usually resort to such desperate measures =)

I'm also on the fence about which way to go with tires. My bro is an engineer at Michelin so I try and stick with the brand for that reason alone. And I don;t know dual sport tires. Question is are we riding roads that Anakees can comfortably handle? If so I think I can do one set of tires for the whole trip out west and back. If not i have to use better tires and figure out a change while out there.
  3. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    You will want knobby tires out here.
  4. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks...I'll pick up some T63's or such
  5. KaptSlo

KaptSlo In Idaho, never admit you moved from California Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Michelin*Trials Competition would be another option. I run a trials rear (MT43) on my XR650R and love it. Even in the sand.
  6. FZcruzer

FZcruzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I am in for this, will probably bring both a small and a big bike...
  7. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me know your choice of oil filter and oil.

The best tire choice is what the rider likes and what they feels comfortable on, I've seen many riders run it all on more street oriented tires such as the anakee, Conti, Heidi etc... I run the mt 43 on the 450, anakee on the gs1200 and pirelli rally on the 640. My answer is yes the anakee would be fine for the klr650 on these rides for me. But I speak for me...

Couple of my buddies like the T63 on their 690's

8. CrownRoyal

CrownRoyal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone else planning to attend from Arizona? I see Rozar is drinking some CrownRoyal... good choice my friend. :freaky Its 500 miles of slab from my house to Gold Point. Maybe I will get lucky and find someone thats going that way with a truck or just convoy with other bikes.
  9. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    Few things here. First of all, Crown Royal is my favorite drink. So there's that. Also, having one right now. 2nd, that's about the same distance the SD guys are going. Not sure what type of bike you're on, but its going to be worth it whatever option you choose to get out there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  10. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW- does Herb have IPA on tap? Just asking as others interested have asked.
    BTW2- what is IPA?
  11. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easy answer....he has nothing on tap, all bottle and can there...

12. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    That works too. Need to figure out what to put in my panniers now..:freaky
  13. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update on my FL ride out there.....

Picked up a KLR650 and plan to do an iron butt on the way out.... on T63s :clap

Also in "KLR fashion" have bought used panniers wolfman racks, used pannier bags, screen, spoons, huge dry bag, RAM/Android phone mount, and fabbing up a 1 gallon rotopax mount. Aftermarket handlebars and risers. Oh and best of all.....and the famous KLR "Rubbermaid Actionpacker" rear topbox

Had to suck it up new retail pricing on Madstadt windscreen, skid plate/hwy pegs. It hurt my feelings :lol3

Wiring in two dash USB ports to keep my phone and GPS alive on the way out west, and a 12V outlet for a tiny slime airpump. Am I missing anything?

Oh if the T63 rear wont super-slab 2500 or so miles, I'll spoon one on when I'm on the road. I should be out west well before the event.

*********Special thanks to jrozer who is going to help me with oil to the camp :deal [​IMG]

I'll have more pics of the KLR, but here is the one I picked up cheap and the Madstadt adjusted to "high touring position". Already windtested at speed :evil

[​IMG]
  14. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    I get about 1800 miles on T63's on my TE630. Of course i run them pretty hard. I've burnt three of them now, trying a few others, just put a 606 on.

For a hiway run I would put Fullbores or 705's on it. They should take you out and back. Then install T63's for offroading here if you intend to do more of it. They're decent tires, kind of smallish, and the front is very shallow and washes out easily. There are much better front knobbies, scorp rally one of the best. The rear is just okay, decent on tar.

You might make it, if so will be bald when you get here.

Good luck. :thumb
  15. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I really want to try an iron butt on knobbies, and its a great chance to see how many "all super-slab" miles I can get with a loaded KLR on T63's. I'll figure out a replacement (or 5 before I get back to east coast). I certainly suspect on the return trip I'm using a less aggressive off road tire :D

And I'd have to do the Anakees, not knocking other brands but my little bro is a design engineer for Michelin and I 'gotta support that direction.

Looking forward to meeting you all [​IMG]
  16. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    It's over rated. :rofl
  17. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles are limited in storage, therefore the best space/intoxication ratio is going to be crown royal. :rofl

That klr looks sick. I need to wire up my bike for power to the phone as well.
  18. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the simple route I'm going for phone, (and another similar plug for cigarette lighter/slime pump)... http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Dual...TF8&qid=1377205005&sr=8-1&keywords=marine+usb

Similar "1" jack looks good on my Connie14 and has proven waterproof, sure looks won;t matter on the KLR :evil

[​IMG]
  19. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The little KLR I picked up is coming along (or should i say apart) nicely. Oil changed and about to do the rad fluid. Took some stuff off to really clean the bike and wire the outlets in "sorta' right".

Picked up some used wolfman racks, softbags, and twisted throttle drybags from the forum flea market. The folks i dealt with did me right and the stuff came in incredible shape.

also so far picked up tent, camping pillow, and a new jet boil for the morning starbucks. Feel free to join me, I don't do breakfast but no shortage of morning coffees :D

still need a sleeping bag and mat or cot (can;t figure out which to get), yet to get a spot locator and nexus 7 for the trip. plan to bring a DSLR and upload pics of my whole 3 weeks out on the bike and especially this event [​IMG]
  20. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    Thanks for showing me the power outlet, pretty cool how it runs two usb ports in one device like that, nice use of space for sure.

I don't do breakfast either, never have. Just coffee over here as well :D