A desert rat explores the south.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Domromer, Dec 26, 2012.

1. irvfr

irvfr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Great photos and writings :clap
  2. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Didn't do any riding today but I did order a stebel horn and some nice super snazzy reflective tape for my side cases.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180826875599

I did however go to the beach and find some shells on this fine day with weather in the 70s.

[​IMG]
    Folly Beach Sunday Jan. 13th, 2012 by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Folly Beach Sunday Jan. 13th, 2012 by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Moose & Sandra - Folly Beach - 01/13 by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Beach Life at Folly Beach by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Sandra digging around on Folly Beach by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dolphin at Folly Beach 01/13 by dsrphotography, on Flickr
  3. nowgrn4

nowgrn4 Rainmaker

Oddometer:
    Great pics and adventures! Keep it up and thanks for sharing.
  4. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Got my reflective tape today. This is the same stuff they put on fire trucks and school buses . The plan is to put it on the back of the cases and the side..next thing to do is install the stebel horn. Maybe I'll do a before and after video for that one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
  6. Cliff-77

Cliff-77 Lost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures&narration,keepem coming,i'll be following along.
  7. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    The mail man was nice enough to deliver my stebel horn kit from Pat Walsh designs.

Kit includes:
    wiring harness
    Mount
    Horn

Took about an hour to get it all buttoned up. Really couldn't have been any easier. I didn't have to remove any part of the fairing. Goodbye wussy vstrom stock horn hello nice loud stebel. Maybe I'll go downtown tonight and blast some drunks crossing the roads!

Found this install video online..makes it super easy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/efUT07RL_GQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]
  8. Ducati7444

Ducati7444 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful picture, and I love the fact that you explore on a scoot, these scooters are always over looked. Usualy, I always head north to the Apalachian mountain, now after reading your post, I want to go south and visit these place. Did you know the area or did you plan as day goes on?:clap:clap:clap
  9. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I like looking at maps so I usually do a bit of planning. Normally it goes like this. I'll see something on the map that looks interesting, usually a body of land surrounded by water or with lots of squiggly roads through the marsh, then I'll do a quick Google search on the area, then I might look it up in Flickr to see what if any photos people have already taken. Then I might open up the geocaching website to see if there are any geocaches nearby, then I pack lunch and take off.

Wow I guess I do plan a bit, even for day trips. I guess it makes sense, I've always said planning is half the fun. Sometimes I do mix it up and just head out in a certain direction. Although I often find when doing that I'd drive right by something cool but didn't know to look for it.
  10. UtahJim

UtahJim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    The sun is shining, the weather is brisk, time for some riding and shooting.

[​IMG]
  12. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Well it was sunny and in the low 50s here today. A warm winters day for you Yankees but almost cold enough to close schools down here. So I bundled up in everything I owned and hit the road. The plan was to grab some lunch, go shooting in the national forest, pick up some shrimp in Georgetown, then grab a tag in the Coastal Carolina tag game. All in all it was a success. Here are the pics to prove it.

[​IMG]
    Young Crape Makers downtown Charleston by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Bento at Momma Kim's Downtown Charleston by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Shooting the Ruger by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Plenty to Choose from at the range by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Two guns shooting range in the Francis Marion National Forest by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    The skyline view of the Georgtown factories by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Selling At at the Fishing Dock by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Local Flora and Fauna painted on wood by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Local Jumbo Shrimp by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Stoping to look for snakes by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    A nice grove on long leaf pine by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Close up long leaf pine by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Riding through the country by dsrphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Prince Fredrick Church Built 1734. A tag in the coastal carolina tag game by dsrphotography, on Flickr
  13. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    Really like the foliage in your area. Almost jungle like.

Just added Ocala Nat. Park to the bucket list. Looks like one hell of a place to catch some R&R. :jkam

Keep on keepin' on!
  14. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Today was a great day to go for a long ride. I play the various south Carolina Photo tag games and by chance in the last week I grabbed and tagged 3 of the state games. I'd been mentioning how I'd like to grab all 6 state games when another inmate let me know that the upstate tag was very close to the midlands so I could grab three tags in one day and make it back in time to walk my old dogs.

Green is the Upstate territory

Yellow is the Midlands territory

Orange is the overlap between the Upstate and the Midlands

Turquoise is the Lowcountry territory

[​IMG]

We took off this morning around 9am..it was really really chilly. In the low 40s to be exact. We made good time as the churches were full and the roads were empty. The first tag was a local game in Cayce South Carolina which is just outside of Columbia. The tag had a real good clue so I drove right up to it. The tag was of a cool graffitied wall at what used to be a coffee shop/art space. So I snapped the pic and zoomed off in search of a good landmark to make the new tag.

Cayce South Carolina tag game http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837820

[​IMG]
    I ended up not far down the road at a state building with an interesting museum out front.

[​IMG]

From here I headed out for the upstate tag that was also located in Columbia. On the way to the upstate tag I grabbed a tag for the midlands.

[​IMG]

The upstate tag was of a deer statue out in front of the Sportsmans warehouse. I used to shop in this store a lot back when I was crazy for fishing. These days I don't fish much so I'm not often in the shop. So I took advantage of this tag and bought a new pair of carharts and a set of glove liners as my winter gloves were a bit lacking on the drive up.

Upstate South Carolina tag game..http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580499

[​IMG]

After gawking at customer pics of all the cool hunting and fishing triumphs I realized I was starving. So I fired up the smartphone, selected the trip advisor app and found the 4th best restaurant in Columbia was a bbq joint called little Pigs BBQ. Twenty minutes later we were chowing down on a bunch of various meats stacked tall
    On a cafeteria tray.

[​IMG]

We rolled out of the bbq an hour later and hoisted ourselves onto the bike. My head was buzzing with cheerwine as we headed west for the last tag for the midlands which was located in the small town of Winnsboro, SC. The tag was of a graveyard with a church in the background. This last tag was very tough. At home sitting in front of my computer with all the power of Google I couldn't locate this tag. This proves Google street view has not yet covered every inch of America. We got to the town which was both quaint and rundown. I found clock tower which was in the center of town. Now I just had to find the graveyard. I started circling the neighborhoods around the tower. As it turns out this town was full of graveyards but none were right. The tag had a very specific iron fence in the foreground. None of the fences were right or there was no tower in the background. So I kept driving around town circling further and further away from the clock.

This whole time I kept passing the same cop parked in front of a gas station. I tried to play it cool like nothing was going on. After the 8th pass he was now staring. I was about to give up when I turned up a street that went up a hill. I was thinking this might be it as the hill would give a good view of the church. Sure enough the street ended at a graveyard. After looking at the tag photo for ages I realized I'd found it!

Midlands South Carolina tag game... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582535

[​IMG]

I'd done it. I had all 6 state tags! No big deal but I was stoked to have grabbed them all. I snapped the pics to grab the tag and it was time to head home.

On the way back I grabbed a pic for the upstate tag game and hit the road.

[​IMG]

Total milage for the day was 340. I've been thinking of doing a saddle sore 1000 in the summer and this was great practice.

Here are the other 3 tag games in South Carolina

The State Game... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426382
    The Charleston tag game (started by yours truly)... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837808
    The Coastal Carolina tage game..(formerly the low country tag game... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582531
  15. sage06

sage06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now i see what you have been doing with all this time off.
  16. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    All in the game.
  17. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    More random riding pics...riding the Husky desert sled..gotta love a 2stroke.

[​IMG]
  18. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    More tagging and grabbing...

Looking for this....

[​IMG]

Bam found it...Department of Natural resources headquarters James Island, Charleston

[​IMG]

New tag...shh it's a secret

[​IMG]
  19. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Decided to head out early and collect some pics for future tags. Next time I'll bring a tripod. I was out so early even the donut shop wasn't open!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    The plan was to check out Hilton Head, I was a bit too hung over for the long ride so instead we rode to Edisto Island and visited the Botany bay Wildlife refuge. It ended up being a good ride with a walk on the beach and some shell collecting. I was feeling pretty Lazy so most of the pics were taken by my Wife from the back of the bike.

Stopped along the way to grab a tag in Meggett, SC. This was for the Charleston tag game.

[​IMG]

Lots of Churches in the low country.

[​IMG]

The road to the Wildlife refuge was soft sand. It was a little hairy in places riding two up.

[​IMG]

A raised path led through the marsh to the beach.

[​IMG]

Found a live Sand Dollar

[​IMG]

This sea anemone was living in a rotten wood piling that was sticking out of the water. It was like it's own little aquarium.

[​IMG]

Then we found a dead sand dollar.

[​IMG]

Lots of little Conch shells on the beach.

[​IMG]

Riding back out after the beach.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crossing the intercoastal water way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]