Yosemite to Crater Lake Oregon

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by JayElDee, May 9, 2013.

1. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going to be heading that way in about 10 days. All new to me. I'd appreciate any suggestions for routes, with preference being paved and no big highways. Backroads, small towns, scenery, history are all positives. Say 2.5-3 days worth, but I could flex that.

TIA

John
  2. RodT

RodT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After you leave Yosemite, get on hwy 49 and head north, it's a great ride and it conects to hwy 89 just north of Sierra City. from there head north on hwy 89 to Quincy, then Greenville. At Canyon Dam take hwy 147 to Westwood, there is a great place to eat Called The Old mill Cafe, in Westwood there is a county road A-21 that connect to Hwy 44. That turns into hwy 89 and cuts over to Interstate 5, you are only on 5 for a short distance. Take hwy 97 to Klamath Falls, and it's a short hop to Crater Lake from there. If you only have 3 days it's mostly going to be riding not exploring, but this is a great route and lots of great views. Have fun, and maybe I'll see you at the Old Mill Cafe, by the way my son owns the cafe!!!!!
  3. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    there should be lots of snow at Crater Lake I was there in July and the snow was still 6 foot+. have fun and that is a great list of roads :clap
    B
  4. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    RodT has your route planned... I might recommend going around lassen to the East over to burney and come into K falls from the East. just so many options. But 49 is a must.
  5. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    Thank y'all VERY much. I had another route planned but that had to be changed, so this sounds GREAT!

I know Crater Lake may be iffy because of snow. But nothing ventured nothing gained, right.
    Really look forward to this. There will be lots of exploring along the way, but you just can't do everything. After that heading to Hell's Canyon area then Missouri Breaks then back home. If I don't have enough time there are Plan B and C.
    :clap

I hope to try your son's Cafe, but do not know on what day. I will look for it though.
    I'll be on a Black/ yellow r1200r
    (woo hoo!)
  6. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Make sure you ride out to glacier point.. Look me up if you have any problems I am 15 mi from the south entrance
  7. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    Thanks wrk2surf.
    Are there any snow concerns around there now?
    And I will be coming from Tonopah, NV.
    Any recs from there to Yosemite? I see Tioga road is closed and sch to open tomorrow??? but Glacier point would be more accessible from 41 and that would be an entirely different way in than 120--if it opens.
    Suggestions?
    and thanks again
  8. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    I would ride through hawthorne over to bridgeport via luckboy pass or through Bodie to bridgeport.. then up from brigdeport past mono lake up over tioga... nice areas and big graded roads... No snow worries we have 50 percent of normal
  9. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    that would be
    right?

thanks,

general question. How plentiful is gas along the route planned, ie 49 N

It's not nevada scarce is it?
  10. bigphish

bigphish Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer:
    Wandering WNC and sometimes in Costa Rica
    Try to follow up with any thoughts about the routes you took. I will be following your path north a few weeks later:clap
  11. Voidrider

Voidrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can offer some help near Klamath Falls.

If you come up 97 its okay and you CAN take it all the way to the Crater Lake Junction about 24 miles north of Klamath Falls. I guess if you have never been along it before, the stretch north of Mount Shasta is nice, and north of Klamath Falls you travel along Klamath Lake and there are great views.

If you want something a little less "highway" you might want to head west out of Klamath and take Highway 140 to Westside Road. This runs up the west side of Klamath Lake through some lovely forest and is just a nicer ride IMO. Beyond the N. end of Agency Lake you take a jog east to near Fort Klamath and are then on highway 62 which takes you right up to the S. entrance of Crater Lake NP.

39 N. out of Canby is pretty straight, I find it rather 'meh', but it takes you right near Lava Beds NP. the roads in the park are very nice, but the speed limits are quite low. Again, if you have never been there, definitely worth checking out, and if you need a place to camp, its nice. Also, you pay to enter the Lava Beds, the receipt gets you into Crater Lake free (and visa versa) for seven days.

I'd say all the roads west of Crater Lake are pretty fun save for a long straight stretch of 62 west of the S. Park entrance.

BTW, the S. entrance is plowed and kept cleared all year around. The Rim Drive usually opens mid-July, but we've had record breaking LACK of snow this year, and record breaking high springtime temperatures, so you may be able to ride the entire park. They plow the west side of the rim drive to the N. Entrance junction, then work towards the N. entrance and clearing the E. side of the Rim Drive.
  12. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    great! all good
    Thanks.

gonna be heading to NE corner of Or after, things falling into place
  13. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    Since OP is interested in small towns, etc...
    I once discovered a pretty nice ride that gets rid of the I-5 segment. About half way between Burney Falls St. Park and McCloud is Harris Springs/Davis road. Take that North up to McDoel on 97..then North to Klamath :deal
    The last time I rode Harris Springs Rd.. I saw one other vehicle, and it was the guy on the bike with me.
    [​IMG]

Not a lot of traffic.
  14. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    When 49 gets to I80, jump on 80 and get up to Placer Hills Rd. Take that to Dog Bar and it will bring you in to Grass Valley. It is a short section, but much nicer than that stretch of 49.
  15. RodT

RodT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of gas stations all along Hwy.49.
  16. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    This route? http://goo.gl/maps/NLF49

The last time I tried riding Highway 49 all the way to the north end, the only part I didn't like was the section that this goes around. I'll remember that for next time. I don't like freeway riding either, but 6 miles of freeway with those roads thrown in is better than that section of Highway 49.

For the original poster: I also recommend 49 to 89, then Lassen Volcanic National Park and Burney Falls. I've been snowed out before in Mid-May at both Lassen and Crater Lake. You can't always tell what the weather is going to do until later in the summer.
  17. RodT

RodT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lassen Park is still closed do to snow, they are working on it but it usually doesn't open till memorial weekend.
  18. RocknTroll

RocknTroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would toss in 120 from 6 to 395, but I just like that road
  19. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    +10

Glacier Point road just opened this past weekend (I was there but hiked up from the valley floor).
    -ceej
  20. Voidrider

Voidrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crater Lake N. Entrance was announced as open today. I'm not sure if it is a record early opening, but it might be.

The Rim Drive is not fully open yet.