Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Jul 13, 2012.

1. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I won't go into too many details, but safe to say that two hooligans, a screaming-pumpkin GT3 RS and some really brilliant, empty patches of interstate around lunch time on a clear, 70 degree day = memories that will last a lifetime.

And oh yes, I spent half that time behind the wheel grinning more than I ever would in an actual picture. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    duhrider likes this.
  2. prooney377

prooney377 Pete Rooney

Oddometer:
    All the recent philosophical musings have basically opened my eyes to the fact that if you want something bad enough the only thing stopping you going there or doing that is you. ALWAYS wanted to do North to South America top to bottom. 2 years from now I'll be 40 and thats my target for saving the money to realise the dream.

Cheers for the posts and pictures and also for the replies a lot of people are putting on. Very interesting, thought provoking stuff, and amazing photos too.
  3. Lurky-Loo

Lurky-Loo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's also a less technical term, called "assuming".

99% v. 1% isn't a question of envy for who has the best toys, it's something as simple as a CEO paying a lower rate than his secretary, or something more important, like a system that's rigged to reward financiers when they succeed and give them government-funded bailouts when they fail.

Given that you equated NPR with Fox News earlier (like equating a rolling stop to doing 100mph in a residential zone), I'd suggest either paying more attention to politics, or avoiding it altogether.
    geoduch likes this.
  4. Tepi

Tepi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride Antihero. So far, this has been one of _the best_ ride reports.
  5. infresig

infresig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that Jones Beach? Some very long straightaways there . . .
  6. It'sNotTheBike

It'sNotTheBike Banned

Oddometer:

Indeed.

One of the first signs that someone is attempting to bs is when they start using
    tricky jargon instead of words anyone can understand. This is a trick used by
    lawyers, doctors, and other people who want to perpetuate the illusion that they
    are special and possess knowledge the rest of us do not have. Ironically, a person
    who is truly superior in knowledge and intellect will have the ability to explain
    things without using words which are unfamiliar to the vast majority of people.

One has only to examine the lectures of Richard Feynman to understand that
    this is not only possible, but that it also shows a true command of a subject. Feynman
    was the real deal, a genuine genius, and he could explain the most complex
    theories so nearly anyone could understand what he was talking about.

The above is spot on. The system is rigged by those who have money and
    power, to benefit those who have the money and power. This is nothing new,
    it has been going on since the days of serfs, lords, vassals, etc.

It's amusing that Dr. J made it through medical school and pulls down a lot of cash,
    but it is a mistake to assume that everyone is capable of doing what he did and that
    all that stands in their way is whether they are willing to work hard. Med school
    requires a certain amount of intelligence that not all people have. Also, some folks are better ( or worse )
    at memorization, and that ability can make or break you in med school ( ask anyone who has actually done it ).

The truth is that not all men are created equal, and some have abilities which are superior
    and others have abilities which are inferior. The idea that everyone can make
    it "if they just work hard enough" is not supported by reality. Not everyone
    can succeed on a very high level, no matter how hard they try. If you doubt this,
    ask a person who has tried out for an orchestra and not been given a position
    despite the fact that they have practiced every day for their entire lives. Some
    people are just better at some things than other people are. It is down to hard
    work + native intelligence + innate ability, and all three of those things are instrumental
    in the work of high achievers.

And some people's brains work better
    and differently. If you don't think this is true, consider this : Richard
    Feynman saw different terms in an equation in different colors when he looked at
    a blackboard, despite the fact that the equations were written in one single color of
    chalk. Do you think his brain was the same as everyone else's ? Or maybe he saw
    things this way because he had worked harder ? Sorry, that is not the explanation.
    Richard Feynman was a superior human. And it is quite likely that Dr. J is also a superior human,
    who was born into unfortunate circumstances but who used hard work and the intelligence which
    was a result of his genetic background to achieve great things. His hard work is admirable but is
    far from the only reason for his success, and it is misleading to claim that hard work alone
    was the reason that Dr. J succeeded. Sure, this flies in the face of a lot of stuff we are taught
    in primary school in the US, but then a lot of what is taught in primary school is false. It's up to all of
    us to discover the truth for ourselves as we proceed through life, and the most important tool in our mental toolbox
    is the ability to think critically, which if used correctly means that you test things for yourself rather than
    believing them without question. In this case, critical thinking made it possible to question the notion that
    "anyone can achieve anything if he or she works hard enough", which is a false claim.

7. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    It'sNotTheBike translates to: It's not the bike, it's the rider. But that last post seems to suggest that it's all about the bike.

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours"

If anyone felt defensive or argumentative about my last major post, the chance that you're a victim of your own excuses is almost certain. Success doesn't only come to those who have superior genetics and achievements don't just come to those who had a perfect upbringing in an ideal environment. Overcoming adversity, gents....that's what life is all about.
    nupe likes this.
  8. Sgt93

Sgt93 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And from Twitter as well per our PM's. Ben is how I found out about you and your journey :) -Steve
  9. prince_ruben

prince_ruben Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK. It's officially screw you after the GT3 pics. See you, and damn I'm jealous (but I'm doing something about it). I dare you to step in San Diego. Bah humbug!
  10. prince_ruben

prince_ruben Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be careful if this gets out.
  11. fonztheyeti

fonztheyeti king of all i survey

Oddometer:
    while they may or may not be special, do you actually deny that a subject matter expert (any subject) possesses knowledge that a layperson does not? the fact that they do possess uncommon knowledge is what makes them an expert.

having the ability and choosing to exercise it are completely seperate. maybe the doctor chooses not to "dumb down" his speech because he has realized that most people are idiots. or maybe he just doesn't care. or maybe he would care but is unaware of the language gap.
  12. BenZvan

BenZvan N7

Oddometer:
    I don't think of myself as a victim of excuses. I'm making a good living and I'm doing a lot of what I want to do. I've found a pretty solid compromise and I made the choice to go with it. I just recognize that there are people who don't get the same opportunities to make choices as I've had.
  13. 3B43

3B43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heh, ItsNottheBike.....THANK YOU for hitting the nail dead center on the head!!!!! I've argued this point with several 'anything is possible' folks, but they refuse to get it because they've never TRIED the ANYTHING!!! I had delusions of grandeur when I was playing college golf (actually won a few tournaments and a state championship) about turning 'pro'. And then reality hit while playing a big tourney when my competitor hit a shot I hadn't even considered! If I can't hit that shot in a college tourney, I got no shot at the PGA.....no matter how hard I worked. I simply didn't have enough TALENT! I relatively fast on my track bike, but no where near the track record and Casey is faster on a moped!!!

Like you said, the simple fact is we are NOT created equal! Newton, Einstein, Feyman, and those great minds, see things differently. Casey is different on a m/c from everybody else because is more talented then everybody else. I'm OK with this and have never had an issue with it. A buddy, who came from a humble family, is now a millionaire because he made that the focus of his life. I chose another path and have experienced/felt 'life' from a point that my buddy never will. My career choice has left me comfortable, but definitely not rich, but I continue to point my life to 'feel & experience' those things that I consider important and critical.

BTW...my buddy is jealous of my humble financial life, but refuses to step outside the box he's created to expience/feel life.
  14. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The more I read the last few pages the more I agree with this.
    Kind of like me trying to be a professional jockey.....just not going to happen at 6'2" and 240....lol
    Not saying that people don't have a chance to better themselves, but some people weren't made to be doctors, lawyers, jockeys, motogp racers. Case in point, one of my best friends has photographic memory, he definitely used it to his advantage and some things came to him a lot easier than me.
  15. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look, guys, I wasn't claiming that everyone can be in the NBA just because they wish it so, nor was I claiming that anyone can be the next Einstein. My point (before it gets lost completely) is that we are all more powerful than we think we are and the world is far less powerful than we think it is. Test it out. I do, everyday and it's worked out quite well for me. None of my own personal achievements (including this trip) would have been possible without a, 'fuck it--I'll see if it's possible before saying it ain't' attitude.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. (Eliot)

If this is such a horrible personal philosophy, I am not quite sure what to say.
    nupe likes this.
  16. FatTirePlease

FatTirePlease Still rollin'

Oddometer:
    And this is what makes LIFE so damn interesting!!:D
  17. DannyZRC

DannyZRC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q_H77Ledl_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This sentiment goes here.
  18. OldBoldPilot

OldBoldPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You don't need to say anything. Your point was quite clear -- and quite valid -- to the less argumentative and less defensive of your many fascinated readers.

And I'll just add one small point: I believe that we ARE all created equal; we're just not created the same. Any of us can go as far as we want to as long as we understand where our particular skills and talents lie, and as long as we act with that knowledge in mind.
  19. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    i've coined it "the fuck it factor" all decisions in life ultimately come down to it. either you say "fuck it, it aint worth it." or you say, "fuck it, i'm going for it!"

your successes, your failures, your financial freedom or your financial oppression all stem ultimately from "the fuck it factor".

fortunately our intrepid AH falls more on the "fuck it, i'm going for it!" side of the coin.
  20. BenZvan

BenZvan N7

Oddometer:
    As a personal philosophy, it's great!

Your mileage may vary.