Hell freezes over...Duke 690

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by bahnzii, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Mr.Goose

Mr.Goose Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer:
    I plunked my money down - my 2013 Duke is coming sometime mid-May.

I put 38,000 on my '07 690SM so I'm hoping to use this one for everything.

Anyone have an idea on handguards? I don't want to run the KTM brands. Something stronger like Acerbis Multiplo or equivalent :ear anyone?
  2. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Went to my dealer to discuss the Enduro R coming in and he said that he had sold it sight unseen for cash, to a walk in. They still have a '13 500EXC and though it's street legal, it's not the one I wanted. Guess I'll just keep the Duke and stay on road a while longer. Damn shame, too...tp dd50
  3. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    HDB - Highway Dirt Bikes - Paul's gear is expensive, but worth it.
  4. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    I've had trouble getting hand guards to fit due to the Magura master cylinders on the 2010. They are not parallel to the bars on either side. Any will have to be bent out and around the master cylinders. I currently have HDB Paul's on my XC-W and ROX's that won't. Maybe someone has found a fix. I'd like to know.
  5. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    Soggysandwich:
    Your second picture shows a very cool windshield.Where did you locate that?
  6. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    Any idea on the service intervals?
  7. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    ^My new MCN says service and valve adjustment interval is 6200 miles.

They also say they liked it a lot.
  8. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
  9. alk4life

alk4life Wanna ride them all!

Oddometer:
    I just test rode the new Duke yesterday. I recently decided it was time for my first new motorcycle. I started on a VTR250, then moved up to a CB700SC. The only other bikes I've ever ridden are a Ninja 250, a Versys, a NC700X, and a 990SMT. The Duke was the first thumper I've ever ridden. I'm looking for a fun motorcycle that will also work for every day city commuting. The reason I didn't buy the Versys or the NC700X was they both felt a little boring to me. The Duke was definitely not boring. However, I don't think I'll end up buying one. Hopefully my experience is helpful for some.

About me: I wouldn't consider myself a great rider, my 5 years of riding have been 100% commuting, city and highway. I'm 6'2".

The bike felt pretty comfortable, a tad cramped but very tolerable. The first thing I noticed was that the engine felt like the exact opposite of the SMT. The bike seemed to prefer low rpms, above 4000 riding around the city it vibrates like crazy. I've never ridden a single cylinder bike before so I can't compare it to anything, but it was the buzziest vibiest thing I've ever ridden by far. I don't think I could live with it, although who knows, maybe I would get used to it. The freeway felt different, much more comfortable although the vibes were still there. I went up to 95mph and it felt like the bike could have gone much faster. I really liked the handling, the bike felt very light and was confidence inspiring in tight turns. As for the brakes, they were very strong, they felt much stronger than I needed.

One weird thing. Not a big deal, but the clutch lever is really short, I had to pull with 3 fingers, my pinky wouldn't fit on it.

If anyone has any questions I'll try my best to answer from my novice commuter perspective.
  10. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna wait for a 390.
  11. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    alk4life. I have a 2010, and under 3k rpm, it bucks like crazy. Above that, it is smooth and pulls like crazy to redline. My only complaint on my year model is the seat, and I think a Renazco is going on it this summer... I will never ride the new 690, as my dealer is getting one this summer, and I know they won't allow demos on it.... You could do much worse than a Duke. Go ride a KLR650, and see just how weak a single can be. A great bike but can't even spin the tire in gravel, with 35hp and 450lbs. I had one for a couple of years. For a commuter it is great, but expect no excitement, like the Duke can provide, every time you swing a leg over the seat....tp dd50
  12. alk4life

Oddometer:
    It was an exciting ride for sure. I like the look of the old Duke more than the new one. If I was in the mood for a fast fun ride the Duke would be great, I'm just worried that when I just want to get from A to B it would get on my nerves.
  13. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    Don't know your age but the new Honda CB1100 is an excellent motorcycle, one you may want to consider. A retro/I4 to the ninth degree.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21278884 Here's where the current thread is. Worth a look from the beginning of the thread...tp
  14. alk4life

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm 29. I don't mind the looks of the CB1100, the only problem is it's almost the exact same as my CB700SC! I'd like to try something different.

On my list to test ride are the new Hypermotard, Street Triple, 690 Enduro, Shiver, and TR650 (Terra or Strada). The problem is, of those, the only one in my area I can test ride is the Ducati. It's crazy to me that dealers expect you to spend >$10k with no test ride on faith!
  15. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    I understand. I thought I had a 690 Enduro R lined up to buy, but the dealer sold it to another guy... My local Ducati dealer had a '13 Hypermotard set up for demos yesterday, but they had filled the time slots, and I missed out on a ride. The Street and Speed Triples are fantastic bikes, and are both worth a ride and a long look. If I wasn't tied to my current bikes, a Speed Triple would be in my garage right now.... tp

Since Husky was bought by the KTM CEO recently, I'm not sure how long the Terra 650 will be out there...The June issue of Motorcyclist Magazine has a review on the Terra 650 and the Enduro 690 R. Two totally different bikes... Terra for the road, 690R for off road....
  16. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    These descriptions of vibrations on the new 690 puzzle me. The 690 was supposed to be a great improvement over the 640, and the 654cc 1st gen "690" didn't have this problem. What is going on with the counter-balancer with the 2nd gen 690???

Our friends in Australia and Germany didn't report this behavior in their 2nd gen bikes. What's up??
  17. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:

slight thread jack - but you'd love the shiver, really an under appreciated bike

I'm holding out hope for the duke 690r to make it over, then I think I'd pick one up -- but I have other bikes for long distance and dirt
  18. everetto

everetto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. HyperPete

HyperPete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Mine's just crossed 21000km, performing exceptionally..additional Akra slip-on and a K&N filter.
    Runs smoother than i expected for a single...there's plenty of vibes and buzzing, but its good for all day rides, no sore butt or numb fingers...
    Only issue is fuelling...I've gotten 185-220km before the low fuel light comes on...but, dunno if I'd sit on a bike for 400+kms anyway:lol3

Its a fun ride, ok for long trips and a hoot in the twisties.
    :D
  20. alk4life

Oddometer:
    I've had test rides on the new Duke and an SMT, didn't take either over 90 mph. It has been a while, but here's what I remember:

- Duke was much buzzier
    - I don't recall any annoying highway vibrations on the SMT
    - SMT needed to be revved more, felt like the engine was lugging below 4k rpms
    - SMT felt more comfortable at highway speeds, but the Duke was not bad by any means
    - The fueling on the Duke seemed better