Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?

1. YES it should be made legal

2. YES but ONLY on the Hwy

3. YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections

4. NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wyno

wyno Griso 1200

Oddometer:
    The state of Victoria in Oztralia is seriously considering lane filtering when traffic is stopped or almost stopped. If they go ahead with it, the other states and territories in Oz should follow suit. It really is the only sane thing to do.
  2. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Its amazing ain't it?!

Those of us that have done it know how A. safe and B. time-saving it can be. Too bad not everyone's ridden 'CA style.' :nod

M
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Split a bunch on the way to work this morning. Damn, the little CBR is tiny! The stupid-looking mirrors are the widest part. Wheee!!!

The answer is still yes, it should be legal.
  5. helotaxi

helotaxi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could imagine the difficulty...since Davis Monthan AFB is in Tuscon, AZ.

I think you mean F.E Warren. ;)

Like many things, the big problem people have with this is confusing the terms "legal" and "compulsory". Legal means that you "may" not that you "must". If you aren't comfortable with it, don't do it! Fundamental concept of a free society. Not that we're really a free society anymore thanks to those that think they know better what's good for everyone else...
  6. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    california....knows how to party :super

of course it should be. talk about a free country. i'd split from here to NYC :clap

imo their is no reasonable argument against it. i mean you can argue, but i've already won so i won't bother

i am a lane splitting fool. too bad for you if you're not

that is all
  7. Ackme

Ackme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  8. elbigsam

elbigsam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its not legal here in texas, I generally don't care. I filter in btwn cars at any light, no point getting rearended at a complete stop. If it is actually congested I will slide up to where I can get through the light on the next green. I've never has issues but I'm pretty chill about it. I've filtered on the highway during gridlock from time to time as well. That seems to bother motorists more, not really sure why. I reject the premise that we are in a line when on the road. We are not waiting for a waterfountain, merely travelling to our individual destinations. As long as noone is making the trip take longer for anyone else, its a moot point.
  9. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh stop being so rational and reasonable about it, that is confusing the situation.
    Many drivers aren't rational about it either, the perception is certainly that everyone is in a line waiting their turn, you line jumper you.
  10. elbigsam

elbigsam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap
  11. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. justafurnaceman

justafurnaceman Imaginary

Oddometer:
    After having the possibility of sitting in traffic for hours waiting on the road to be cleared on a major highway I decided to split the lanes. I was amazed at a couple of things.

1. The amount of people that slid over for me so I can get by including a guy in a semi that moved over slightly and then waved me over.

2. The only couple of people who tried to block my path including a box truck who purposely road on the dotted white line so I couldn't split the lane. (It wasn't an issue with me. I merged back into the lane, got around him, and then continued to split.)

The rest of the people were either oblivious until I got by them or didn't care. In fact if I was stopped and didn't move forward at the slightest movement of the cars in front of us they went around me. It was like we were unconcerned with each other's forward progress until it was time for us to merge into the one lane to get around the traffic accident.

I think that it should be legal and TAUGHT in MSF courses.
  13. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    i just want to post some thoughts on the subject. personal, subjective thoughts. but so often even among some riders lane splitting is seen as dangerous or reckless. it can be of course. sometimes conditions dictate that. but that is no reason not to love doing it. and i love it

i think a big part of it is being a car driver in SoCal for 27 years BEFORE i ever rode a motorcycle. being a new rider in middle age i didn't hop on a bike at 20 and never feel the weight and REALITY of what it means to drive a car around Greater L.A for almost three decades. i felt it but did not know it. it just was. when i started riding the invisible weight was lifted and lane splitting just blows it away

i split "at speed" while traffic is moving. that is my lane, thank you. i split when road work is being done, i snake in and out of traffic and slide by mere inches from fuming city buses. right hand turners are great as they block the right lane waiting on crossing pedestrians and make it mine as i swoop around and take it, road open ahead

tonight i split and stopped for gas and a bite. leaving 10 minutes later i noticed cars at a light i had passed ten minutes before. they continued on two minutes ahead and i caught them and passed again, splitting right by. its like time travel, but its real

its my favorite part of riding. i feel like i am not supposed to say that. too risky to be fun, take it seriously. that goes without saying for all riding. and splitting and riding are not always just fun. or fun at all

but splitting is beyond that for me. it a whole and complete experience. and i like the feel of riding inches from cars, sliding by ever so deftly, and leaving it all behind. for me, that is the beauty of riding
  14. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

:ricky
  15. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I understand completely.

Sharing lanes was one of the big motivating factors for me buying a moto in the first place: so there I was, sitting in my F150 creeping along the 5 headed to Mission Valley when a moto zoomed past me.

Huh?! Wha?! :confused

...then another one went by...

By the third, I realized that that made too much sense not to do too. I bought an 04 RT and joined em!

:ricky

M
  16. henshao

henshao Bained

Oddometer:
    THE ANSWER TO THE THREAD IS NO, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool who should have his motorcycle confiscated.

The United States also has control over a federal district and fourteen territories in which lane splitting should be legal as well :D
  17. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Nicely stated. Dancing on lane lines can be just as fun as dancing in a canyon. Risk and reward in both.
  18. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :fishie
  19. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Missed the [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] indicators didya?

M
  20. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, no I didn't miss it but any time those words get put together is that way it always warrants a Fish Slap. :D