Nebraska Tri-Cities and South Central NE. area

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by crashman44b, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    Too blessed much going on! :cry. This Sat is our local gun club's show in Bow and our chapter of Prairieland Foods is having a TV crew in to promote the org and I'm a player in it. :pynd

Like the Cubs keep saying - waitll next year!
  2. GSbiker

GSbiker new and un-improved

Oddometer:
    Guns are dangerous. Ride motorcycles and eat pie.
  3. SEKhund

SEKhund Wind Sucks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rally was a good time and well attended with around 150 in attendance. We had a little rain on Saturday night but no weather casualties. Man they feed you good down there. Out.
  4. Tallboy

Tallboy hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer:
    Need to get back to that again. Good food, nice folks. 150 isn't too bad of a turnout either.

I spent the weekend working on my BMW, not riding it. :lol3
  5. SEKhund

SEKhund Wind Sucks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Farthest rider was a guy from Prince Edward Island, Canada. 1800 miles one way.:huh That's dedication. Same time, same place next year. I'm sure the Nightrider's will be tickled to have you back. I know I'm heading back. It's kinda nice to just hang out.
  6. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    I'm glad crashman started this thread. Lots more Nebraska folks than I knew were here! :clap

Now if we could all just get together sometime.....

Between the Franklin BMW thing, Pie Fest, Verdigre Dual Sport Ride, Fifth Fest, monthly breakfasts and Ride the Hills...it really shouldn't be an issue :deal

Maybe a spring fling sorta thing could happen in the central/S.W. Area of Nebraska (or N.W. KS!)? :freaky

-Kurt
  7. Tallboy

Tallboy hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer:
    yep - pretty chill. I usually go for 20 mile ride during the day Saturday just to get up and around. and to give me a break from the stew pot and watermelon. :lol3

i got chewed out the first year I went for showing up on a Yamaha by a drunken Honda rider. :rofl
  8. nefj40

nefj40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PPP, that's what I'm guilty of (piss-poor-planning.) I have to take canal water on the west 80 every fri-sat-sun. All my july and august weekends are/where fooked this year. Next year when my ditch rider asks when I want water I'm breaking the calender out. This mental lapse happens every few years. :pissed
  9. crashman44b

crashman44b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Figured I better bring this to the top. Maybe some noobies out there. Had my bike out a day before the snow. It was about 50 but not bad. Im glad I took it out. Every dam winter I get the idea to sell my toys and that ride made me realize how good being on a bike felt and how much I enjoy it. Just take it for granted when parked.
  10. Tmaximusv

Oddometer:
    OK gonna bump to top. Breakfast in...Bow, Kearney, GI, Hastings? Got a favorite LZ?
    9th or 23rd of Feb? Chance to plan a raid on the Spring Fling? (I'll be there in any case.):clap
  11. barefootbob

barefootbob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, my name is Bob. I currently live in Ca. My gal and I are so getting tired of Ca. bullshit and are looking at moving to Nebraska, we have family in S. Dakota but we want to be a little south of that. We ride a V-Strom dl1000 for adventure rides and I like to ride single track on my dirt bike.
    Tell me about Nebraska, what's a good city to live in close to some good single track riding, adventure riding work and fair priced real estate. I also play music but I've always been able to find a band.
    This is some of the single track I ride out here in NorCal.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Pl5LPXumU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_hyglvrz7g
  12. Tmaximusv

Oddometer:
    May need to define what you mean by "city" first. Not much out west larger than 5000 population. Don't know much about single track myself so will let others speak to that.:ear

Just about anyplace you care to land will have any number of inexpensive houses for sale. Don't expect anyting fancy for the most part. One eventually gets used to limited choices for shopping (thank God for the internet!).:deal

I moved here from Minneapolis and am pleased with the lifestyle, though I do sometimes long for variety available in very large metro areas. OTOH, not many people to tell you how to live your life.:clap

Good luck. Look forward to meeting you!
  13. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Barefoot, It sounds like you would be looking at the Omaha or Lincoln area, as opposed to the other "cities" in Nebraska. I would think coming from California, anything smaller might feel a bit weird. Lot's more Nebraskans in THIS THREAD.

Pretty much all the larger cities/towns are along I-80. Omaha, Lincoln, Grand Island, Kearney and North Platte. Off I-80 to the North are lots of small towns and a few decent sized towns. Blair, Fremont, Norfolk, Columbus and Oneil are a few. Depending on what you do for a living, you will be able to find jobs in all of them. Just don't be telling everyone you know about how great Nebraska is :deal:lol3

Singletrack is hard to come by, but it is around. Most people just own land or know someone with land for that. There is a place just south of Rock Port, MO (just over an hour from Lincoln or Omaha) that you need to be a member of. Trl Rdr is the go to contact on here for that (he's VP). It really is a fun place to ride, and I will be a member in a few years when my kids get old enough to ride.
    HERE IS A LINK TO THAT AREA

ADVriding in the area is mostly gravel and dirt roads. For a day trip of fun, most of us end up riding in the Loess Hills of Iowa. It's basically lots of hills and decently curvy roads. Lot's of minimum maintenance dirt roads to play on too. Really great on a Strom! You can google Loess Hills and find lots of info on them. Several ADVer's have gps tracks for good rides over there. Seems like if anyone has more than two days to take off and ride they are heading to either Arkansas, Colorado or South Dakota (black hills). It is nice to be able to take off and be at any one of those places by late Thursday night after leaving work, riding Friday and Saturday and driving home Sunday. I always thought trailers were dumb until I got a DRZ. Now I would rather trailer out somewhere, and ride the really fun stuff, and then relax in the AC on the way home ;)

None of the local stuff will be like California, but you couldn't pay me to switch places! :deal

Bring me some of that good NorCal weed when you come though :rofl

So, feel free to ask over in the other thread as well, since most of the ADVriding Nebraskans frequent that thread much more (no offence Tri-"cities" guys:wink:).

-5th
  14. Tmaximusv

Oddometer:
    No offense taken. Notice the last post on the Tri-Cities thread before I opened the door trying to get our own "2nd Saturday" thing going!

I will try to make Pies this year. Too much else going on last year to fit it in.
  15. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Did someone say......PIE!!!!!!!! :clap
    :D

I am planning on having my little ADV rally again this year. Fifth Fest! :1drink
    I hope you Tri-Cities guys can make it. We had a lot of fun last year, and I will be able to refine the ride this year. We only hit a small portion of the good roads last year. Gonna cut out the long stretches of gravel and head strait to the sand and dirt two track stuff. There was even an over grown single track road :deal:clap
  16. crashman44b

Oddometer:

Hopefully the rider count in this area will pick up. I went as far as knocking on people's door with bikes to inform them. Everybody seems to busy or to caught up in their own little world to care which I can understand (since I have a 10 and 2 year old girls) We are planning on a MC camping trip the 1st weekend in June if anybody is interested. That will be at Sherman up by Loup City.

I did get the bike out Sunday for a gravel cruise. It got cold later in the evening but wasnt bad.
  17. barefootbob

barefootbob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I'll check out that other site. I actually live in Northern Ca. in a small town called Willits, we have about 4 or 5000 so I'm use to small town living. Mendocino County, the land of fine highs and low buy's, a place where you can grow right in your back yard. Ca. might have nice weather but the politics, Riding parks being closed down because some think we should not be allowed to ride those crazy bikes anywhere, taxes are through the roof, jobs are hard to find, it's just getting to be to much. Not sure how much dirt I'll be riding in the future, I'm 51 and have been hauling ass my whole life and have had my fair share of injuries, just last Sunday my gal and I took a spill on the Strom, "dam red mud" It's funny I haul ass on my dirtbikes and we fall going 10mph. I jacked my left shoulder so I'm seriously thinking of giving up the dirt bikes. We still like the Strom though, just keep it out of the red mud, that sucked.
  18. barefootbob

barefootbob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man thats some nice single track, when I see stuff like that it makes it hard to give up trail riding.
  19. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    No need to give it up, just slow down! :deal Get a little "woods bike", and play in the really tight stuff. :wink:
  20. crashman44b

Oddometer:
    Went out sunday. All 2 of us, almost had 3.:roflLunch was a good time. Forgot to take pictures of the food. Hoping we can do this every month when is warms up with a few weeks notice. Im ordering some farkles today and super excited.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]