2013 990 Adventure Huge Oil Leak/Drain

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by turdfergeson, Jun 19, 2013.

1. turdfergeson

turdfergeson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About a mile from my house I noticed a ton of oil on the left side of the engine and all over my boot. My riding buddy said it just started and he actually got sprayed with oil and it was all over his front fairings and helmet face shield. This was after I just had the oil changed at a local shop and had about 150mi since the change.
    Before I took the bike back in I cleaned up the mess and started/idled the bike for about 20 seconds to see where the leak was but couldn't pinpoint it. The best I could tell was it was somewhere on the front side of the front cylinder that faces the oil tank/radiator since that was where the bulk of the (remaining) oil was draining.
    Shit like this doesn't bother me at, it's part of the game, what's killing me though is not knowing where the problem is.
    Anyone ever run into this problem or have any ideas what the source/fix is?
  2. bajamcguide

bajamcguide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    could be the breather hose or the hose from the top of the valve cover, could be the flow control valve that runs from the oil tank to the motor.
    my bet would be the later as the gasket can be damaged if not properly installed.. I am sure it is something simple, and someone just missed something doing the service.. let us know what you find.HTH
    RE. Tim
  3. turdfergeson

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tim.
    I'm expecting it be something stupid-simple like a hose which was why I was getting pissed when I just wasn't seeing anything like that. I'll definitely update the thread when I get an answer.
  4. turdfergeson

Oddometer:
    The verdict was that the gasket highlighted in the pic blew out.

[​IMG]
  5. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Who did the last valve adjustment ?
    Did you have to remove the motor from the frame to find this ?

Max
  6. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did they forget to replace the half moon seal? The rocker cover has an O ring seal which wouldnt have sprayed that much out over the motor.
  7. turdfergeson

Oddometer:
    MAXVERT -The motor in the pic is not mine, just one I found that clearly showed the seal. I haven't had any valve work done yet, I still have less than 3K miles on the bike.

I was surprised to find out that it only needed a little more that quart of oil put back into the tank so it still had over 50% left.
  8. turdfergeson

Oddometer:
    So I had the same seal blow out again and I checked the crankcase breather hose and it was not breathing. Mine is routed a little different because I gutted the stock airbox and replaced with the CPR Rottweiler and the valve is connected to the baseplate. I never really liked the idea of that venting into the airbox so disconnected the hose from the baseplate and attached a filter to the end. It's now been over 100 miles now and no problems.
  9. tacosupreme

tacosupreme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was the hose kinked or something? Just curious, I'd like to do the CPR filter too and don't want to make the same mistake.